PDA

View Full Version : smoking atc200

xenogear_id
10-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Hello. I have a 83 honda atc200 .Last week I went riding with some friends and I took a puddle that was more like a big drop off. Flooded it out completely under water. So I got to the house and pulled plug the spark plug and got all the water out. Checked the oil was not milky. I managed to get it running and it seemed fine other then the trottle sticking so I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Next day I fired it up and nothing but thick white smoke. Also blowing oil out the pipe. I'm gussied I need a rebuild. I was wondering if I should rebuild or just get another motor? If I should rebuild it over getting another motor what do I need and where can I get the parts from? It's all original atc 200. Can someone point me I the right direction? Thanks for any help

yaegerb
10-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Been there done that. You need a bore, new piston and rings. Also replace the valve seals while you are in there and flush your crank case a few times with fresh oil.

86125m
10-02-2015, 10:06 AM
You probably should have immediately changed the oil. But you live and learn. You do not necessarily have to replace the piston just check everything over while your in there. If there is no damage to the piston just get the cylendar honed and change the rings. Make sure you change the cam bow and cam guide. Oh and you should probably lap the valves while your in there as well.

1981ATC185
10-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I have heard of people using diesel (or even ATF) to clean out the crankcase, instead of splitting it to clean it out. Thoughts on that?

barnett468
10-02-2015, 02:40 PM
yeah, no point in buying a used engine that might have problems also, especially if yours shifts good.

white smoke is steam from water . . steam will dissipate immediately . . if its steam there ma be water in your oil or the muffles packing may be soaked with water . . water will burn out of your exhaust system quickly.

lite blue [almost white] smoke that lingers like cigarette smoke is oil.

determine if the smoke is from water or oil.

do a compression test.

check car float bowl and gas tank for water

change the oil or a least drain a little to get any water out that has settled to the bottom then top it up.

ride it for maybe 30 minutes to see if the smoke reduces.

xenogear_id
10-02-2015, 02:41 PM
can you tell me where i can get the rings,cam bow and guide? thanks again you guys

yaegerb
10-02-2015, 03:10 PM
you can get all this on Ebay.

barnett468
10-02-2015, 04:01 PM
can you tell me where i can get the rings,cam bow and guide? thanks again you guys

you should NOT just throw new rings in there if you decide to rebuild the top end . . the cylinder must be professionally measured first to determine if the cylinder bore is excessively tapered or out of round . . if it is useable, you must properly deglaze it with a ball hone.

your piston should also be measured.