PDA

View Full Version : smoking atc200

xenogear_id
10-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Hello. I have a 83 honda atc200 .Last week I went riding with some friends and I took a puddle that was more like a big drop off. Flooded it out completely under water. So I got to the house and pulled plug the spark plug and got all the water out. Checked the oil was not milky. I managed to get it running and it seemed fine other then the trottle sticking so I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Next day I fired it up and nothing but thick white smoke. Also blowing oil out the pipe. I'm gussied I need a rebuild. I was wondering if I should rebuild or just get another motor? If I should rebuild it over getting another motor what do I need and where can I get the parts from? It's all original atc 200. Can someone point me I the right direction? Thanks for any help

barnett468
10-01-2015, 08:19 PM
whatever damage is already done . . i would start with the following:

make sure there is no water in the cab float bowl and gas tank.

do a compression test.

drain at least some a tiny bit of the oil in case there is water in it then top it off.

ride it around . . if it runs fine, keep riding it for at least 30 minutes if you can.

pure white 'smoke" is actually steam so you may just have some water in the silencer packing that will eventually burn off . . the "smoke"/steam from water will INSTANTLY dissipate in the air . . it will never linger like cigarette smoke or smoke from burning oil.

lite blue [may look almost] white is burning oil and will linger for several seconds unless it is windy.

if your trans was good before, i see no reason to buy another used engine . . i would simply rebuild your top end if necessary and even up grade it at the time with a high compression piston and cam if you want.