PDA

View Full Version : 200x needs a rebuild

apickering975
10-03-2015, 02:47 PM
I have been posting in a different thread this past week trying to get help with my 1985 200x that was having problems. It would cut out when accelerating and pop and backfire when you would let off the gas. Well the motor just seized up today when it was in neutral and right before it shut down it made a loud noise. I have never rebuilt a 3 wheeler engine before but I have worked on newer dirtbike engines. I just do not know if I will need to buy a new rebuild kit or just certain parts. What would you guys recommend and what are some good rebuild kits out there? thanks

barnett468
10-03-2015, 06:40 PM
i would take it apart first and make a list of everything it needs . . the timing chain might have broken . . if it did, it likely bent the valves . . you can spray a bunch of carb cleaner into the ports then lift it straight up and see it it weeps or pours out of the valves . . if non comes out, they are good.

if just the chain broke but it didn't smoke before, the top rings and the bore are still good.

you can buy a high compression piston if you want while its apart and bore it out if needed.

you can also get a slightly larger cam from web cam . . YTZ drew also likes the XL185 cam for a small upgrade and it is cheaper than the web cam.

apickering975
10-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Alright, when it seized up it made a noise that sounded like the chain coming loose. Ill take it apart and see what I need. Is ebay the best place to get parts? Or should I be looking for a full rebuild kit while I have it apart? It has never been rebuilt so everything in the engine is 30 years old

yaegerb
10-03-2015, 10:56 PM
eBay. New cam chain, fresh bore off of the Piston you choose. New rings and valve seals along with a top end gasket kit. Get a good manual online if you don't already have one.

apickering975
10-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Is it hard to take apart the top end and replace the valves and put it back together if I have never taken apart a 3 wheeler engine before? I just dont want to get in over my head and make it worse. I took the left side engine cover off and realized that the motor was seized because the stator and coils had broken off and gotten jammed up. While I have the engine out I want to change the valves because it wasnt running very good before, and might as well check the condition of the piston. I described the problems it was having in my original post, could that be caused by the valves not functioning right? Before I took the motor out, I tried solving this problem by trying 3 different carbs (all of which were in good condition), checked for air leaks in the intake and exhaust and found none, and checked all of the other simple things that could have caused it. None of those helped so I want to try and figure out how to fix it while I have the engine out.

350for350
10-04-2015, 07:35 PM
You may have found the problem. It could be the bad stator. The engine may not be seized at all.

apickering975
10-04-2015, 08:07 PM
I realized that, the engine is no longer seized but I want to fix the way it runs. It runs poorly and I cannot figure out why.

freewheeler
10-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Probably because the source coil was being beaten to death. Remember what you said about getting in over your head? Fix what you found wrong and put it back together.

TwiZ
10-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Id try the new stator..could of been the cause of the bad runnin...besides ya need a new one anyways...so it cant hurt to start there