PDA

View Full Version : 250r no spark

fish_19
10-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Ok so, my trike was running fine, let it sit for a week or so, and now it won't start. I think there is no spark. how do I check? I pulled it out and turned it over with the kick start and I don't see a spark. any other ways to know? I know the lights turn on when I kick it, so electricity is flowing, but I'm not sure its flowing to the spark plug. Where do i start?

350for350
10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I'd try a new spark plug first.

fish_19
10-06-2015, 05:44 PM
i guess that would be the cheapest option haha

fish_19
10-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Ok. I had a spark, and then I didn't. when I take the plug out and ground it and kick it over, there was a spark. but it still woulding start up. wouldn't even try. I felt like I'm kicking over a bike thats dry but the tank is full. then, I checked for spark again, and no spark. new spark plug. CDI maybe? is there a way to test that?

350for350
10-08-2015, 09:11 PM
I don't have any experience with 250r's but either buy or download a repair manual. That will tell you how to check your cdi. You should be able to download one on this site. I still prefer to have a paper manual in front of me when I'm working on my toys so I've never downloaded one. I also am worried about getting grease or oil on an expensive electronic device. Maybe I'm overly paranoid about that, but that's just me.

Red Rider
10-08-2015, 09:51 PM
You should be able to download one on this site. I still prefer to have a paper manual in front of me when I'm working on my toys so I've never downloaded one. I also am worried about getting grease or oil on an expensive electronic device.When using a manual in PDF format, I print out the necessary pages. Then, those pages go out in the garage with me, where I'm not worried about them getting smudged with greasy fingers. Plus, you can make annotations on them rather than a loose piece of paper. When I'm done with the maintenance, the printed instructions go in the recycle bin. An actual manual in front of me is nice, but the electronic versions have some nice benefits too.

Jmoozy27
10-09-2015, 12:16 AM
When using a manual in PDF format, I print out the necessary pages. Then, those pages go out in the garage with me, where I'm not worried about them getting smudged with greasy fingers. Plus, you can make annotations on them rather than a loose piece of paper. When I'm done with the maintenance, the printed instructions go in the recycle bin. An actual manual in front of me is nice, but the electronic versions have some nice benefits too.

That is exactly what I do...

mendoAu
10-09-2015, 03:19 PM
I take my laptop out on "projects" all the time. I just put a piece of Saran Wrap over the keyboard (don't cover any heat exhaust areas).
There are some good threads on cdi's on this site but from what I have read it takes a fairly specialized tester to check them out.

fish_19
10-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Good idea with the manual, but if i need a special tester then count me out. haha I'm a bit old fashioned and anything "special" always seems to cost a few cents.. anyone have experience with making their own spark plug wire? I figure I would start at the plug and work my way to the cdi. I do some slight corrosion in the wire when I pull of the cap

mendoAu
10-09-2015, 10:55 PM
If you are like me you have to deal with a tight budget. As much as I hated the wait I found some real low prices on coils/plug wire and cdi's on e-bay. If you are in a hurry skip the imported from china ones. You can get cdi's and coils for ten bucks apiece +/-.