PDA

View Full Version : Paint

brau46
10-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Guys, Would any of you know how to repaint back fenders. Like do I use normal paint or not. I feel like it was flake when it bends? What should I use to repaint it.

barnett468
10-08-2015, 02:54 PM
well if you really want to paint them, one option is to use solvent base, catalyzed paint with flex additive and put some adhesion promoter on them first.

any scratch you can see will show up

Fixerupper
10-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I am painting mine right now. I am using krylon fusion formulated to bond to plastic. Spray in layers and slightly sand between layers. Difference is night and day! Dries in 15 minutes which is nice. What color do you want to paint?

brau46
10-08-2015, 06:56 PM
I would like to paint it read. I painted it once with plasti- dip, but gas eats it away so it looks bad.

350for350
10-08-2015, 07:47 PM
So how are you going to get gas on your rear fenders? You sound like you might be fun to ride with! Just busting your chops.

brau46
10-08-2015, 09:30 PM
No, Well I painted the tank to and that is coming off, but the fender paint is coming off to from my boots so i want to paint it all again.

Jd110
10-09-2015, 12:46 AM
PAINT! On the fenders? Really? That's the equivalent to painting tires. If you want your work to last, ask a professional near your home. Or watch some YouTube on plastic restoration.

brau46
10-09-2015, 11:40 AM
PAINT! On the fenders? Really? That's the equivalent to painting tires. If you want your work to last, ask a professional near your home. Or watch some YouTube on plastic restoration.

Yes paint! I had to repair them with plastic welding because they were cracked. So plastic restoration wont fix that part. And that is why i asked because I don't want to put paint on if it will just chip and flake off.

Devilsclaw
10-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Sometimes paint is the only practical option, when things are so bad they can't be polished. Sounds like that is your situation. I've used regular Krylon and Rustolem with surprisingly good results. Be sure to sand well first and clean with acetone well to remove any silicone that may be present. Wet-sand between coats and be sure to let it cure thoroughly. It will still take a lot of flex and not crack. If you are flexing more than that, appearance is probably not your top priority anyway--know what I mean?

jb2wheels
10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Anybody else used Krylon Fusion on fenders? I'm curious about durability vs other paints.

Fenders flex so much...

brau46
10-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Sometimes paint is the only practical option, when things are so bad they can't be polished. Sounds like that is your situation. I've used regular Krylon and Rustolem with surprisingly good results. Be sure to sand well first and clean with acetone well to remove any silicone that may be present. Wet-sand between coats and be sure to let it cure thoroughly. It will still take a lot of flex and not crack. If you are flexing more than that, appearance is probably not your top priority anyway--know what I mean?

Yes I do. I just wasnt sure how well paint would hold up on fenders. So it should work fine your saying?

Devilsclaw
10-12-2015, 07:17 PM
If it's done right it will take s lot more flex than you would think. I was amazed. Thing is, once you paint it--if it does end up cracking, you can just sand it and paint it again in a few years. They really shouldn't flex that much in riding anyway, unless abused. Usually kids climbing on them is the biggest problem.

What2007
10-12-2015, 10:56 PM
I just plasti dipped mine over the weekend. It's rubberized so it'll flex all day. You just have to watch out for rubbing through it. 222676

Jd110
10-13-2015, 12:40 AM
i bought my 200 big red from a 76 year old, who owned a motorcycle shop for 40+ years. He painted the fenders right before I came to look at it, to hide the faded, brittle plastic. I would bet it didn't take him much more than a couple hours. That night I took everything apart. Scraped paint & brittle layer off fenders. Then began to sand and sand and sand for somewhere around 100 hours. Now I know that's an unthinkable amount of work to some, others get it & do what it takes to do it right. My fenders look new from a foot away and will last another 30 years.

brau46
10-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I just plasti dipped mine over the weekend. It's rubberized so it'll flex all day. You just have to watch out for rubbing through it. 222676

Yeah I did that to. I did the take to because it was beat up and I fixed it and I didn't know gas eats away at it, and the fenders are starting to peal already with just leg rubbing. Thats why I am redoing it. It did Look good at first. Here is what they Looked like.

Devilsclaw
10-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Another thing you can do if they're already in good shape like it looks like they are, is kind of rub in the paint using it more like a dye. Rub in real light with a soft rag, let it dry and then go over again. They make actual dyes for that but I never have any when the need arises. It's a cheap and easy way to give it some added luster without really building up any paint on the surface.

brau46
10-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Another thing you can do if they're already in good shape like it looks like they are, is kind of rub in the paint using it more like a dye. Rub in real light with a soft rag, let it dry and then go over again. They make actual dyes for that but I never have any when the need arises. It's a cheap and easy way to give it some added luster without really building up any paint on the surface.

Sorry but what do you mean by rub it in? And what kind of paint would I need to use. This is what the fenders look like without the plasti-dip. I had to plastic weld them in one spot as seen in second picture. Would that still work on them. 222775222776

Jd110
10-15-2015, 09:50 AM
I guess one good thing about the paint is it protects that unrestored plastic. The USMC badging is worth it alone. Way to go & thank you. Maybe a sticker will hide your welding repair.

brau46
10-15-2015, 10:08 AM
I guess one good thing about the paint is it protects that unrestored plastic. The USMC badging is worth it alone. Way to go & thank you. Maybe a sticker will hide your welding repair.

Thanks. I made the Stencils and for the grenade, the emblem, and the USMC. It took a little while, that's why I am upset it didn't hold up well.

Poco Loco
10-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Go to your local auto body supply shop and use the plastic bumper paint system and products. It wont be cheap. Theres nothing that comes from a spray can that will hold up.

brau46
10-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Would like bed liner paint work?

TubergenMtrSprt
11-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Bed liner might be good. Prep-work is very important I scuff and a few good Acetone rub downs.
I'm afraid PocoLoco is rite nothing from spay can will hold up well. If it's not a "Show Bike" krylon is fine can't beat cost, easy touch up, and looks good. I've gotten into sanding and polishing plastic and it's a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro
I always try to avoid paint,,, BUT if it's bad spray'er down!
I actually did spray a old Yamaha IT250 with krylon fusion blue "bike was faded white no getting the blue back" it looked great I just didn't touch it,,, or get fuel on it.