PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Man?

Scootertrash
10-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Are you a Modern Man?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fashion/mens-style/27-ways-to-be-a-modern-man.html

Being a modern man today is no different than it was a century ago. It’s all about adhering to principle. Sure, fashion, technology and architecture change over time, as do standards of etiquette, not to mention ways of carrying oneself in the public sphere. But the modern man will take the bits from the past that strike him as relevant and blend them with the stuff of today.

1. When the modern man buys shoes for his spouse, he doesn’t have to ask her sister for the size. And he knows which brands run big or small.

2. The modern man never lets other people know when his confidence has sunk. He acts as if everything is going swimmingly until it is.

3. The modern man is considerate. At the movie theater, he won’t munch down a mouthful of popcorn during a quiet moment. He waits for some ruckus.

4. The modern man doesn’t cut the fatty or charred bits off his fillet. Every bite of steak is a privilege, and it all goes down the hatch.

5. The modern man won’t blow 10 minutes of his life looking for the best parking spot. He finds a reasonable one and puts his car between the lines.

6. Before the modern man heads off to bed, he makes sure his spouse’s phone and his kids’ electronic devices are charging for the night.

7. The modern man buys only regular colas, like Coke or Dr Pepper. If you walk into his house looking for a Mountain Dew, he’ll show you the door.

8. The modern man uses the proper names for things. For example, he’ll say “helicopter,” not “chopper” like some gauche simpleton.

9. Having a daughter makes the modern man more of a complete person. He learns new stuff every day.

10. The modern man makes sure the dishes on the rack have dried completely before putting them away.

11. The modern man has never “pinned” a tweet, and he never will.

12. The modern man checks the status of his Irish Spring bar before jumping in for a wash. Too small, it gets swapped out.

13. The modern man listens to Wu-Tang at least once a week.

14. The modern man still jots down his grocery list on a piece of scratch paper. The market is no place for his face to be buried in the phone.

15. The modern man has hardwood flooring. His children can detect his mood from the stamp of his Kenneth Cole oxfords.

16. The modern man lies on the side of the bed closer to the door. If an intruder gets in, he will try to fight him off, so that his wife has a chance to get away.

17. Does the modern man have a melon baller? What do you think? How else would the cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew he serves be so uniformly shaped?

18. The modern man has thought seriously about buying a shoehorn.

19. The modern man buys fresh flowers more to surprise his wife than to say he is sorry.

20. On occasion, the modern man is the little spoon. Some nights, when he is feeling down or vulnerable, he needs an emotional and physical shield.

21. The modern man doesn’t scold his daughter when she sneezes while eating an apple doughnut, even if the pieces fly everywhere.

22. The modern man still ambles half-naked down his driveway each morning to scoop up a crisp newspaper.

23. The modern man has all of Michael Mann’s films on Blu-ray (or whatever the highest quality thing is at the time).

24. The modern man doesn’t get hung up on his phone’s battery percentage. If it needs to run flat, so be it.

25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.

26. The modern man cries. He cries often.

27. People aren’t sure if the modern man is a good dancer or not. That is, until the D.J. plays his jam and he goes out there and puts on a clinic.

tripledog
10-11-2015, 08:30 AM
#28. The modern man is considerate; he removes dishes from the sink before he urinates in it.

Dirtweed
10-11-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't think I can be a Modern Man. I do know the wife's shoe size though as she looks great in heels. :-)

RIDE-RED 250r
10-11-2015, 09:13 AM
So they think they can pigeon-hole us with a poor attempt to blend the attributes of rednecks and that of suburban metrosexuals....

Insulting...particularly #25..

I am what I am... And I don't need the approval of the out of touch, progressive mouthpiece that is the NY Times.

Admittedly, a few of these items apply to me.

El Camexican
10-11-2015, 09:16 AM
A real mans' wife doesn't wear shoes, she's bare foot and in the kitchen drying the freaking dishes with a towel. .. I can say that because I am a man! (and my wife doesn't read my posts) :lol:

PS. I suspect this article was written by a queer (that's as politically correct a word as I can come up with) who simply transposed his life partner wish list below the Modern Man title.

fieldy
10-11-2015, 09:30 AM
These people have women and men roles TOTALLY reversed. They certainly are not hillbillies or rednecks though, no Mountain Dew.

Jmoozy27
10-11-2015, 09:54 AM
What a joke!! What the hell is a melon baller?? I usually use a gerber or machete to cut watermelon.

#29 Real men ride 3 wheelers...

86T3
10-11-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm little spoon every night because my wife complains that my 24" pythons make it hard for her to breathe if I'm big spoon. I think the writer should have stood by the original measure of a man, verse 2 of this song. https://youtu.be/tx1mryKqvT8

Scootertrash
10-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Feet? You said feet, not teet, right?

6speedthumper
10-11-2015, 12:17 PM
What a crock! Although, numbers 8, 16, 22 are things that I do... 25 must have been written by a Clinton supporter.

tripledog
10-11-2015, 03:52 PM
#30. A modern man is versatile. He can be illustrated on a Wheaties box, and decades later it can appear on the cover of Vanity Fair.

Scootertrash
10-11-2015, 05:54 PM
#30. A modern man is versatile. He can be illustrated on a Wheaties box, and decades later it can appear on the cover of Vanity Fair.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

plastikosmd
10-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Not it, never will be, never wanna be :)

El Camexican
10-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Freaking Trip Dog, you made sh*t come out on my nose!

tripledog
10-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Happy to help.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-11-2015, 11:07 PM
What a crock! Although, numbers 8, 16, 22 are things that I do... 25 must have been written by a Clinton supporter.

Of course it was... it's in the NY Times isn't it?? ;)

tripledog
10-12-2015, 05:44 AM

Better than having snot come out of your butt...

83ATC185
10-12-2015, 01:03 PM

And me choke on my water!

#8 Arnold Schwarzenegger said Choppa

#13 i listen to a very wide strange variety of music. Ellie Goulding was playing on the way to work. On the way home it may be Primus. Never know.

#16, i do that. But not for that reason. A real man teaches his woman to shoot a gun too and you best believe there is one that we can both reach while still still lying in bed. We can take the robbers out and worry about the mess in the AM when we wake up

#17, its obvious this mans never used a chainsaw to cut watermelon or he'd never go back to a melon baller again.

tripledog
10-12-2015, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=Jmoozy27;1385963] What the hell is a melon baller??

Wasn't he a singer from the 1980's? You know; John Cougar Melonballer? I think he was Chuck Pumpkinhumper's cousin.

Scootertrash
10-12-2015, 06:13 PM
You owe me a keyboard! :lol:

tripledog
10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
You owe me a keyboard! :lol:

As the duck said to the prostitute; "Put it on my bill.".

6speedthumper
10-12-2015, 10:18 PM
My face hurts from all of the laughter!

6speedthumper
10-12-2015, 10:23 PM
I also complete agree with every "rebuttal" ATC King had in post 12. Good stuff!

Jmoozy27
10-13-2015, 10:14 AM
I would guess he is a hipster teenager.

Or a single lesbian...

ironchop
10-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Looks to me like the Modern man is a pussy....which is why he needs a blog to try and reinforce his femininst metrosexuality to all the other Metro`s. Being a cuck is pretty taxing I would think. Glad I`m an Old-Timey Man.

that`s cool though. It explains why his wife is banging the poolboy while her "husband" "Parker" or "Cooper" makes her a sandwich and charges her phone....so she won`t miss any of the poolboy`s texts.

oldskool83
10-13-2015, 11:27 AM
The modern man has pussyitious and no man-card. He puts the lotion on his skin and does what he is told. He needs social media to show how cool his boring life is. He has to buy $150 dress shoes to match his skinny jean dress pants.

He does not own 1 pair of levis or lineman boots.

Oh and he worries about what people think of him....

He can only fix technology related issues while his woman needs to hire a painter or a carpenter off Angieslist.com because the modern is scared of Craigslist.com and does not like to get his hand dirty.

I can think of 3 guys I know that are exactly like I listed.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-13-2015, 03:36 PM
The result of the pussification of men by the militant feminist movement.

The part about enjoying every bite of steak, even the fat, because every bite is a gift... When I want steak, I get STEAK by God!! And not some paltry little 4oz metro-approved portion... I'm talking about a whole London broil...for myself! LOL!

I wonder if the modern she-man even knows what venison is??? Then again how would he... he doesn't own a gun, never will, because he has no need for one... Maybe he could shock a deer into the crockpot with his stunning dance moves whenever wu-tang clan comes on... WTF is wrong with people......

6speedthumper
10-13-2015, 04:04 PM
I think we all need to do a Tim The Tool Man Taylor grunt. Ready, all together now, one, two, three!

tripledog
10-13-2015, 07:46 PM
I think we all need to do a Tim The Tool Man Taylor grunt. Ready, all together now, one, two, three!

Hey Beavis, he said "grunt"!