PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250ES Big Red Clunks When Shutting Down

80GoldenEagle
10-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Hello all,
Long time troller, first time poster. I have a question regarding the clunk that I am hearing when I shut down my Big Red. It's definitely coming from the L/H side of the engine. I have already replaced the one-way clutch on the right side which took care of the kick start issue & I inspected the left side one-way clutch while I had it opened up. The one-way clutch worked fine by hand and there was no noticeable wear on the starter gear. While I was in there I replaced the needle bearing that goes between the crank & the starter gear (L/H side). Once I got it all back together, I still get a clunk to varying degrees when it is shut off. I am worried that this will damage the starter reduction gears if I use it. I found a NOS one-way clutch for the L/H side & once it arrives I will install it to see if it will eliminate the issue. My question is there anything else that I may be missing to cause this issue? It's been so long since I've heard one that I knew was correct, that I can't remember what sound it should be making or not. I know the clunk & spinning sound is bad (fixed), but is a slight clunk normal? I've only started it about 4-5 times since I've put it back together. It seems to vary but at it's worse, it sounds rough to me. Any help, is greatly appreciated.

shortline10
10-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Yes replace the starter one way bearing and it will help , but they all make that noise to some extent even when it's all working properly .

80GoldenEagle
10-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Ok, it seemed to me that they do, but I couldn't remember. I just don't think it should be this bad. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80GoldenEagle
10-16-2015, 12:07 AM
Clutch was delivered today, just got it put in and that fixed it. Sounds so much better. When I heard it, it was like, "Oh yeah, that is what it should sound like". Funny how you forget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

shortline10
10-16-2015, 05:19 AM
Awesome ! At least you got it repaired before it tore up the starter gears :)