PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I have a 1972 Sperry-Rand Tricub Model 35

nezwick
10-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Here's one you may not see every day - a 1972 Sperry-Rand Tricub Model 35 (5HP Briggs). My dad found this sitting in someone's yard when I was around 13 years old, so I've had it for probably close to 15 years now. Back then, it was in all-original condition - and unfortunately we didn't know any better, so we did some things that make me cringe now (such as painting it black/red).

It sat for quite a few years once I got older and lost interest, but recently I have reconnected with it and plan to restore it to mostly original condition.

Fortunately, even though we swapped the non-running engine with a newer 5HP Briggs engine, we tossed the original engine in the back of the shed and forgot about it. I found it last month and am going to rebuild/upgrade it over this winter and reinstall it. It currently has a top speed of 35 MPH (verified by GPS).

There is very limited information about these things available on the internet, but I am trying to find the following resources:

1. Decal set (or electronic versions so I can print my own water transfer decals)
a. 540473 Decal
b. 540572 Decal, On-Off
c. 540474 Decal, Tricub

2. Paint code for original yellow/green neon color

I do have an owner's manual with all the numbers, but I'm not sure where I need to go as a source of parts.

The frame and fiberglass tub are in restorable condition (we repaired a crack in the body with Tiger Hair many years ago). The original differential failed so we actually had a machine shop custom-build us a new differential using some original parts and some new parts ordered from the Northern catalog. Back tires are replacements but the front tire is original. As far as I can tell, the Comet 30 series asymmetrical torque converter is original.

Here are some pics of my particular unit.

kevinpatrick
10-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Any interest in selling?

nezwick
10-14-2015, 12:48 PM
No sir!

350for350
10-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Welcome. I saw something similar back in the early 90's. I never did know much about it, not even the brand name. About all I can remember is that the fiberglass was white. Yours looks nice with that color on it.

coolpool
10-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Yep that's groovy cool right there; and it's mostly complete. A set of original rear tires would really set it off nicely. And neon green metal flake would transport that back to the 70's in an instant. There's another member restoring one at the moment (danbur55) and I can't wait to see what comes of it. Keep the rest pics coming.

danbur55
10-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Hey nezwick, they are definitely cool looking mine is actually the tricart earlier model with closed loop handlebars the best source of info I have found was on the oldminibikes.com forum the member tricartman has all three models that were made and I think he is a member here as well but don't recall his name good luck on restoring yours also on OMB forum there is discussion on a ford paint color that is close. Hoping to clear a few things up so I can get busy on mine again

nezwick
10-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Appreciate the feedback everyone.

I got the engine block back from the machinist the other day, and he did a great job boring out the damaged cylinder (.020 over) and grinding the original valves and seats. I requested a 4-angle valve job but ended up with only 2 distinct angles that I could see - oh well. The piston, rings, and some other parts are in the mail. My plans for the engine are as follows:

Bored .020 over
OEM oversize piston and rings
Valve job
Used performance cam
Valve springs
ARC Racing .032 copper head gasket
Port & polish intake and exhaust ports
Unshroud valves, shave eyebrows, and gasket match the combustion chamber
Mill down head about .020
2 degree offset flywheel key
OEM engine gasket set and carburetor rebuild kit
Carb and tank will be Briggs pulsa-jet from the mid-1990s 5 HP (lost originals)
Repaint original gloss black color
Vintage reproduction B&S decal set
Exhaust header
Ethanol free premium gas

Eventually may think about upgrading to a billet flywheel and rod, but I don't plan on turning too many RPMs just yet.