PDA

View Full Version : Back From our Moose Hunt

coolpool
10-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Tag soup it is for this year. These numbers are hard to believe but samjp22 and I paddled a total of 80kms (50 miles) over 4 days and the other two canoes did 40kms (20 miles) each over two days and we didn't even see a hair. I don't want to guess the miles covered on the atc's/atv's when we weren't in the canoes. Still nothing. Sam and I did see three wolves in two days and got shots at two. Due my POS Savage 30-06 misfiring twice they're still living. At least it was easy to get 6+ grouse a day; must be the top of their cycle. We couldn't hunt the small river we usually are on due to low water levels so we had to hit the big one. We even hit bottom on this one. No worries about jet boats spoiling our hunt, yahoo! It takes two days to go from bridge to bridge with no take outs in-between. It can be a bit of a challenge with a NW headwind to say the least.

El Camexican
10-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Cool! As you well know the kill is only part of the hunt. Lucky you guys for getting some time together away from cell phones and emails:beer I'd love to get out on a Sharp tail hunt again with my Dad some day. (yes, Sharp tail, NOT White tail my Gringo friends:lol:)

Honda Junki
10-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Very Jealous, that looks like an awesome trip!

Buck Snort
10-15-2015, 04:01 AM
Looks like a great trip. Can't get the animal every hunting trip. That is why it is such a treat when a person does. But it is always fun getting out.

coolpool
10-15-2015, 09:21 AM
As a consellation, we did see a couple of firsts this trip. A 5 x 5 bull elk which theres no season for and we didn't even know we're this far north and a river otter carrying a walleye in it's mouth. The northern lights at night were pretty cool too. And yes, having no cell reception was awesome!