PDA

View Full Version : 83 big red rear axle alignment issue

Honda Junki
10-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Guys,
Im struggling with my 3 wheeler pulling to the left kinda hard. I know for a fact the right tire is sitting a 1/2 inch farther forward then the left tire (I measured), So with that I've tried a hand full of times to loosen the axle up and straightening it out. The closest I can get it, is some where between 1/4 to a 1/2 of the axle being straight. Does anyone have any input?? Is there a certain procedure or step i'm missing when doing this?

Keep in mind I put new bearings in the rear end and when im trying to straighten the axle I try to keep the right amount of tension on the chain.

Jd110
10-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Could be that the air in the rear tires are not at the same pressure.

wonderboy
10-22-2015, 09:18 AM
How are you measuring? What is your fixed reference point?

Like the post above, most (if not all) of my pulling issues were related to tire differences. Pressure is a starting point, but most pressure gauges don't measure the low pressures that we deal with, nor are they accurate enough to detect the differences that result in a pull. I've found the simplest way is to just put the machine up on a block (so the rear tires are off the ground) and just measure the tire circumference. Adjust the tire pressures so that they are the exact same circumference and I'll bet you notice a major improvement in your pulling issue.

Honda Junki
10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
I like that idea, like you said above I believe they are close to the same air pressure but my pressure gauge will not read low enough. I was originally measuring from the ends of my axles to the back side of my foot pegs right where they connect to frame, I figured that should be a sound spot to measure too. However, after riding it and still noticing its off, I've been measuring from the front of the tires to the foot pegs.

I'm starting to wonder if my chain is to stretched out and that's the culprit. My axle is slid pretty far back (but not all the way) to keep tension on the chain so I'm wondering if I had a new chain, that it would allow me to slide it forward again allowing me to have a little free room to get it straight.