PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

HardAche
10-27-2015, 12:54 AM
I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I have a 1986 250ES Big Red. I've rebuilt the engine. Put on new brakes. All new bearings, cables and a set of tires. Now I'm stuck at finding the right drive shaft to get this thing moving! I've bought a couple on Ebay and both are different than the one I have on this machine.
Mine is longer and the end that goes on the final drive is smaller than a quarter where the splines are inside and there is no sign of a spring ever being inside there. I'm at a stand still...is it possible the rear end has been swapped...and if so how do I find out what shaft to buy??
I know it was suppose to just be hello...but while I had access........
BTW I have looked up threads and I have yet to see anything even close to my problem. I know just like a newbie to think it would be that easy! I've added a couple of albums one of which is the drive shaft issue.
Thanks again for the use of your board and the amazing info I've used so far....

350for350
10-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Welcome. You have a good start on your trike. Sorry to hear about your problem. Send flyingw, Jim, a pm. He's a guru on these and the sx's. Hope he can help you out. And yes. Your rera end could have possibly been swapped out. My first guess would be that maybe someone used the rear end off of a 250sx. I know the two machines are fraternal twins. The differences are fairly small, but I'm no expert. Just giving you an educated guess.

ps2fixer
10-27-2015, 10:34 PM
His rear diff is silver, sx's were black, and the pinion hookup for the drive shaft are the same size I'm pretty sure. I'd guess some newer quad diff, but hard to say which one. If we could get some close up photos of the diff, someone might be able to ID it. Would be interesting to add w\e machine it is from to the list of interchangeable diffs for the 250es/sx.