PDA

View Full Version : Running out??

Dirtcrasher
10-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Am I the only one that seems to think EBAY is starting to run a bit dry on 3wheeler parts?? I haven't seen much over the past few months, just relisted.

Not only are they bringing much much more money, but I can't find any bargains anymore.

250$ for a headlight, 300$ for a mudflap, 50$ for 2 grommets??!! They just keep getting relisted....

If that's whats really happening, I'm glad I started 15 or more years ago to grab everything I saw in good condition for a fair price.

They only made so many trikes so I wonder if anyone feels the same?

The good news is with guys like Louis, Jason and Richard, a complete trike can be made with parts that are all available. That's where we're headed folks; IMHO....

yaegerb
10-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Yep, once ATC's hit American restoration and American pickers, it was parallel to the latest cliche phrase hitting hot topic teen line. People are now entering our world just to make a buck and not to further our beloved hobby. 300 for a gas cap....GTFO

ironchop
10-29-2015, 11:08 PM
I was starting to build British street bikes and bobbers before the TV chopper crowd figured out they could build a loudass, cool kid endorsed, and exponentially cheaper bar hopper if they went British. Suddenly, I couldn't score a BSA A65 or a Triumph Bonneville basket case for under 1500 smackers. Just a couple years earlier, I was getting whole bikes for 300-400 regularly.

It kind of happened fast too. I think some dudes in Austin or Cali started sporting rockabilly gear and once those Hep Cat pics hit the newsstand of Heartland, USA everyone wanted in on the next Phad.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

83ATC185
10-30-2015, 09:20 AM
If that's whats really happening, I'm glad I started 15 or more years ago to grab everything I saw in good condition for a fair price.

I only started riding 3 wheelers about 12 years ago, and in my neck of the woods it was not a popular decision. But i couldn't afford a four wheeler so i bought a 185 and fell in love. You could buy really clean garage kept big reds all day long for $500, even then.

It does seem to follow a pattern. Guy finds a new hobby and pastime. Guy enjoys hobby for years and has built a network of friends and parts are easily found. A picker show features an artifact from his ever aging, yet still very much alive hobby. Everyone buys up everything they see on a picker show to resell, and Guy is forced away from something he loves and cares about simply because he can no longer afford it. Forced into collecting instead of enjoying. Its happened with everything from classic cars to power line insulators.

I imagine in 12 more years seeing an 80s trike being ridden as intended will be a very rare thing. It already is where I'm from. I'm pretty sure Alabama swore off 3 wheelers and held scrap drives for them in '87.

Our only hope is that the increased popularity brings back the aftermarket. Outside of that happening, custom built will be the only way to go.

RUNMEDOWN
10-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Do an Ebay search for "ATC NOS" and look at the ridiculous prices. There are some parts I recognize from collectors here (BIG AL/BAPP parts)
EDIT: Apparently not everyone knows what "NOS" means (NEW ON SHELF), there are some heavily used parts in that search.

ATC-Eric
10-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Ive been saying this for years. These idiots that are fresh to the sport, or just parting them out is ruining the market. The parts that you see that keep getting relisted, WILL eventually get bought by someone passing by. Then all the sudden, THATS the new standard going rate, and inflation happens. Same thing is happening on craigslist with whole machines. Sit on it long enough, an uneducated, or desperate person will come along and buy it.

Matt85'350x
10-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Do an Ebay search for "ATC NOS" and look at the ridiculous prices. There are some parts I recognize from collectors here (BIG AL/BAPP parts)
EDIT: Apparently not everyone knows what "NOS" means (NEW ON SHELF), there are some heavily used parts in that search.

Actually NOS=New Old Stock.

onformula1
10-30-2015, 12:53 PM
NOS = new old stock

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

86125m
10-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Well people Most of the parts I get are actually from new Honda motorcycles. I go into the showroom look around untill I see what I need and most of the time a part from one of the new motorcycles is a direct bolt on. Also I've gotten to know the parts staff pretty well over there. It to the point where they know my name and I know all of theirs and they strait up told me most of the parts really haven't been discontinued the parts just have been given new part numbers and Honda didn't cross reference them.

RUNMEDOWN
10-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Actually NOS=New Old Stock.
38 years old, still learning. Well I was 33% correct on that.

Dirtcrasher
10-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I have been very fortunate to have had the time and the money in the past to buy just about anything and everything in the past 15 years. And most of what I have is NOS or take off parts I never need.

I will build another motor (take out) for both the 200X and the 350X as spares, but I don't need anymore 1986 parts. I will need pistons, cams, springs etc etc, but I even have a few of those when they were sold as "White Brothers".

Losing Maier is about all that could be a problem for me as I crash and plastic breaks, lol....

And at some point it may not be worth their while to make ATC fenders.

I'll always have a 70, 250SX, 200X and a 350X. I was thinking of building a nice 86 250R, but for a couple more grand it's not worth the hassle if I can just order everything off the shelf for a conversion.

bkm
10-31-2015, 03:10 AM
This has been the trend for the last four years or so. Honestly it's no different than classic cars, antiques, etc. As things get older they become more scarce and people looking to relive their glory days usually have more disposable income therefore driving up the prices of clean parts and machines. Then every Yokel gets sucked into Barrett Jackson Syndrome. They see pristine machines sell for exorbitant prices so they automatically think their 85 125m is worth 1500 bucks.

The Banshee market will soon become ATC esq, as clean machines dry up and NOS parts are bought up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Billy Golightly
10-31-2015, 10:30 AM
I think the sky rocketing prices are indicative of the economy (Another bubble). In 2005-2007, things were nutzo, even much more so than now, but as things started slowing down and going back to normal levels. It is fad interest thing as well, for sure, but more expendable income on frivolous things out in the wild again also.

dustrunner
11-01-2015, 08:48 PM
In my area craigslist hasn't had a decent atc in the last 2 months....I used to buy prolly 50 "toy's" a year... Ebay = Now a beat up atc speedometer head is running 130 $...just the used head.... I had 32 years of fun and should be happy I had the chance to enjoy atc's but it's sad to see the lack new projects . I think I enjoyed the hunt more than working on them...then again, maybe not.

fieldy
11-01-2015, 11:31 PM
I'm one of those who started buying parts one year ago and I have paid too much for fenders mainly because I was thinking I wouldn't find them later when I do need them. That changed. Some parts I have refrained from paying high prices for because people are making available good products to replace them, at better prices.Total oem, really not interested because those are more for a collector than a person wanting to try to get back to having some fun of yesterday.
Everything I have ever put into atvs or bikes has never gotten me more money than I've had in them, same with automobiles. That's probably why i havent let much go. Getting very good deals are the only way to make much money on about anything with wheels. There used to be a term "fast jacking" as in "somebody fast jacked that paint job". You can always tell those pretty quick and that's what I'd never do, so likely why I can't turn a profit on anything with wheels, lol. Hauling for scrap would probably be the best profit, lol.
Maybe there will be deals on big reds in a few years again when the old ones who remember those times riding, start to forget. Then I will get one!
What I was wanting to say about parts is I saw Partzilla (sp) listing on 3bay in a three wheeler parts listing, which was new to me, recently. I can't remember if it was bin or auction though. Not good. Probably old news.

knappyfeet
11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
I can appreciate a clean looking trike but........I surrendered to Maier awhile back. What good is high cost NOS plastic when your not going to do the whole bike. That begs the question..........who can afford a 15K to 20K NOS restoration? I mean I know there are some but it's a little to rich for my blood.

And Ironchop..........if you think old British bikes and old OIF Triumphs are getting kooky.........old Honda CBs are crazy priced.......like they own gold or something. Just about any UJM it seems like. I would purchase an Royal Enfied GT new for nearly what some old CBs go for.

e5earley
11-02-2015, 11:43 AM
As with all things collectable, there are groups that have been collecting for years and those that are trying to recapture their childhood. I belong to the latter group. Call it mid life crisis if you will, but when I entered my 40's I started trying to accumulate things from when I was a kid. I wanted my children to experience what I did. Or maybe that is just an excuse for me to get what I want. Works for me.

That being said, I try to find the best deals I can. Did I pay too much for a trike with bad forks, ripped seat, mismatched tires, and an engine that smokes worse than an open window on Willie Nelson's tour bus? Probably. But, there is also value in the satisfaction of bringing something old back to a usable state, plus the time spent with my kids working on things.

I hate to see prices climb on used parts and do believe some see the hobby as a cash cow. I just try to restrain myself and wait for better deals. However, sometimes it's worth the extra cost just to keep the project moving.

By the way, if you think trike prices are rising, try sourcing parts for a 1969 Airstream. The restoration and RV flipping shows have attached an Atlas rocket to the pricing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dirtcrasher
11-02-2015, 09:06 PM
I just saw the 350X motor mounts with bolts for 75$ opening bid, lol....

250rmanfmf
11-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Supply and demand is what drives prices, not kids just wanting to make cash selling parts for high prices. It does suck that prices have gone up and I dont like it as much as everyone else but our hobby is turning into an expensive hobby.

atcmatt
11-10-2015, 07:00 AM
Yep. Prices are crazy. Try getting them shipped across the pond on top of purchase price. The way I see it, if you want something bad enough you just gotta pay the price. I don't hesitate when I buy something. If I need it and want it I buy it and worry about the credit card later! I'm definitely thinking about buying a full set of maier plastics for my 350x, would be such a shame to break the OEM plastics that are on it. Especially the $500 eBay priced unbroken rear garnish. Such a shame that the parts are thinning out like they are! Might I ad there are still bargains out there. Picked up a set of NOS Ohtsi pro-vector original tyres for the 350x for $180 Australian a pop. Good buying right there.

Matt

Dirtcrasher
12-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Well, I just watched another month - Dry as could be....

atcmatt
12-22-2015, 04:44 AM
I just can't believe that I can't find any 86 350x toolbox mounts! They seem to be rarer than the bloody box itself!

Dirtcrasher
12-22-2015, 07:55 PM
I have seen those recently. They were about 49.99 opening bid. I'll make my own!!

atcmatt
12-22-2015, 08:25 PM
I'd pay that. I did make my own but it doesn't support the box like it should. Be shame to wreck a NOS box.

AK47KID
01-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Well people Most of the parts I get are actually from new Honda motorcycles. I go into the showroom look around untill I see what I need and most of the time a part from one of the new motorcycles is a direct bolt on. Also I've gotten to know the parts staff pretty well over there. It to the point where they know my name and I know all of theirs and they strait up told me most of the parts really haven't been discontinued the parts just have been given new part numbers and Honda didn't cross reference them.
Really? They didn't cross reference them? Where's the dealer at? I'm gonna need to call them and order some parts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

AK47KID
01-15-2016, 03:44 PM
This has been the trend for the last four years or so. Honestly it's no different than classic cars, antiques, etc. As things get older they become more scarce and people looking to relive their glory days usually have more disposable income therefore driving up the prices of clean parts and machines. Then every Yokel gets sucked into Barrett Jackson Syndrome. They see pristine machines sell for exorbitant prices so they automatically think their 85 125m is worth 1500 bucks.

The Banshee market will soon become ATC esq, as clean machines dry up and NOS parts are bought up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
You just cited my 2 greatest fears in my life. Scarce banshees and trike parts!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cbx1170
01-15-2016, 11:13 PM
i see new or NOS 350x tool boxes are gone also. Hmmmmmm

atcmatt
01-17-2016, 12:30 AM
Yep I think I got the last NOS toolbox for a 350x from bike bandit. Was listed, ordered it, received it then looked again a day later and they were discontinued.

onformula1
01-17-2016, 12:39 AM
Yep I think I got the last NOS toolbox for a 350x from bike bandit. Was listed, ordered it, received it then looked again a day later and they were discontinued.

It's a Honda, why do you need a toolbox? :lol: Congrats on your find.

atcmatt
01-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Ha! Have the box but not the tools! Use it to keep my dune registration in! Was quite the find! Cheers. Makes me unhappy the prices that things are on eBay! Even worse is our low dollar and the fact that from July 1 the government is going to charge 10% GST on imported goods.