PDA

View Full Version : 1979 ATC issues NEED HELP!!

dustydodge
11-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Hi guys I'm new here. I have a 79 110 atc that is giving me a lot of problems. I acquired this rig over 10 years ago, from what I remember it ran and drove great while under half throttle and beyond that it would bog and flutter after a week or so the pull start rope broke and I parked it in the shed. Recently I just started tinkering with it. I bought a new carb, new fuel line and filters and fixed the recoil swapped plug and she popped right off and idles like a champ but anything over half throttle it would sputter, bog like it was running very rich. I tried it with no air box attached and with choke on while it was warmed up but that made it worse, checked for vacuum leaks with carb spray and couldn't find any. The old fuel tank leaked so bad that I couldn't really adjust much on it. Bought a new fuel tank and plugs, reassembled and cleaned the carb (I soaked it overnight) and got it going. It still would do the same thing after half throttle but I could get it to clear out and it would just scream (but it would take a lot of feather the throttle to get it to rev up normally but it would smoke like crazy. It would blow what looked like some oil droplets out the exhaust but I couldn't tell if it was just gunk in the exhaust and unburned gas making it look like oil since it hasn't ran much for the last 10 years (maybe the rings are stuck also). I shut it down and it would start with one pull and idle great but same thing after half throttle. I replaced the plug and tried it again, same thing but now it started to sound like when a v8 is floater valves and would pop out the carb and exhaust when reving it up. Pulled plug and it looked like it had been hit by valve. Replaced with new plug and same thing happened but now it won't even fire, good spark and fuel. Can the timing be off that bad? Could've I bent a valve? Or are my new plugs to long? It had NGK DR8ES in it when I got it and just been running them since. Need all the help I can get, I've spent enough money on this little rig and need to get it going I'm going batty:crazy:. Its in great shape, all fenders are great, new tires everything is good just doesn't want to run like it should. Maybe I just need to rebuild the damn engine. I need a manual.

coolpool
11-10-2015, 01:26 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
Sounds like you have a few issues going on. I would dig into your valve adjustments, clean the carb again and set the float to the right height, and look into the points which would cause timing issues. Hopefully the manual link works.

bigcal
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
may be an issue with the timing advance?

1979atc
11-13-2015, 02:56 PM
I have a ATC 90 a 1977 and I had the same exact problem I replaced point and I kept messing with the points plate and rotated it to when it would clear out, I did the same replaced carb and stuff and had same problem I would check the points and but first see if it is in time and then go from there

mendoAu
11-13-2015, 08:19 PM
My info for a 1981 110 calls for a NGK D8HA.