PDA

View Full Version : FedEx....wtf?

ironchop
11-17-2015, 11:26 AM
So I bought a pair of grills, and bracketry for the rads on my 86R. I found really nice set on ebay and bought them. This was going on 9 days ago.

Before we go any further, this isn`t the seller`s fault at all. They held up their end so far, it`s FedEx that baffles me.

I usually don`t bid on items that ship FedEx because they are always so damn slow for some reason. I don't get too bent out of shape because I grew up in the good old "4-6 weeks for delivery" era. The only reason I am complaining is that they are also they most expensive way to ship in my personal neighborhood. Your results may vary. I have an idea why they are so dreadfully slow and expensive compared to other faster, cheaper carriers.

Here is my tracing info for the part have yet to receive. Top post being the most recent. I added some commentary in red:

Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service

Nov-16-15, 17:00 PST 42122.......uhh....what does the Post Office have to do with this or is this another case of FedEx toting the mail for USPS? Why has my package been sitting in Indianapolis since Saturday? Indy is a 3 hour drive north for me. Its now Tuesday morning. That is one hell of a sort time on that.

Departed FedEx location

Nov-16-15, 15:52 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241

Arrived at FedEx location

Nov-14-15, 04:15 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241....this city is North northwest of Independence KY a little over an additional 100 miles. The package is now going AWAY from me by a substantial amount. BTW there is a FedEx Freight depot right here in town so I`m confused because it obviously didn`t take 4 days to fly in from Spokane or Troutdale indicating it was trucked to Independence. So my parts traveled 415 miles out of the way and now must travel (backtracking) 250 miles south to my house for gross distance of 665 miles whereas if they had headed south from Independence, it would have been just 315 miles. Color me confused.

Departed FedEx location

Nov-13-15, 05:04 PST, INDEPENDENCE, KY 41051

Nov-13-15, 03:50 PST, INDEPENDENCE, KY 41051....this city is about 315 miles North northEAST from Bowling Green, Ky where I live. The package is nearby but passed me up going east by about 100 miles....overshot"

In transit

Nov-10-15, 22:21 PST, MALTA, ID 83342

Departed FedEx location

Nov-10-15, 10:21 PST, TROUTDALE, OR 97060

Nov-10-15, 03:57 PST, TROUTDALE, OR 97060

Left FedEx origin facility

Nov-09-15, 20:43 PST, SPOKANE, WA 99216

Nov-09-15, 18:20 PST, SPOKANE, WA 99216

Picked up

Nov-09-15, 17:13 PST, SPOKANE, WA 99216

Tendered at FedEx location

Nov-09-15, 09:55 PST, SPOKANE, WA 99202

Like I mentioned above, I usually wont bid on any online product that advertises FedEx delivery but I made an exception for this one because they were nice parts. Right before TF, I ordered a sprocket from San Diego. I expected a week for transit...It took FedEx fifteen F#$%ing days to get to my house which was two days after I left for TF. I had already ordered another sprocket (after 5 days tracking on the other part showed almost no progress) and it showed up from Utah in three days time which was two days before I left.

They must have a niche specialty market because I don't see how they turn a profit. Seems they run on the exact same business model as the USPS. Im not complaining about delivery times as much as I`m complaining about the price of deliveries for anything these days does not accurately reflect the value, convenience, or speed it once did. My local post office is still faster to and from than UPS, DHL, or FedEx.

bkm
11-17-2015, 02:49 PM
They do seem to operate just like usps. I shipped a carb to Iowa priority. Tracking had in Des Moines just outside of the delivery location, but instead if delivering it, they shipped it to Tennessee, then back to Missouri, then finally two weeks later, back to Iowa.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

sledcrazyinCT
11-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Fed Ex tracking is not the most accurate or kept up to date. It appears cheaper for the post office to use Fed Ex as the mule up to the final destination. At least I see Fed Ex makes bulk drop offs for USPS in my area regularly. Also a logical person can't make sense how a package travels via this carrier. I have had phone calls with Fed Ex about this and apparently Memphis is a big hub. I have seen local packages fly to Memphis then back up to South Carolina for final delivery. Sure seems like Fed Ex should have a hub closer then Tennessee?

Of all the carriers Fed ex is my choice for shippers when something must arrive next day. UPS has no offices open on the weekends, but I can drop off packages to Fed Ex on Saturdays until 5 PM and they will still arrive to a customer's facility for 8 AM Monday.

Close to 100% of our spare parts where I work arrive via Fed Ex from Germany. There are times when I check tracking to determine current location and the last spot it will show is New Jersey. After NJ there are three more hand offs until it hits our office. I can have the tracking screen open and it goes from NJ to being delivered with no spots shown in between. Fed Ex can get me parts in under 28 hours over 90% of the time - No one else comes close! Their rates are cheaper then UPS for our company as well.

ironchop
11-17-2015, 05:54 PM
So the bike will ready by March ....right ?
Not if FedEx is the one delivering my parts

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
11-17-2015, 07:08 PM
I feel your pain…

My issues are usually with USPS, but they’ve all had their moments. FedEx and I think UPS both will pass items off to the USPS when it makes logistical/cost sense to them. My experiences so far include:
- Items touring the lower 48 for a few weeks from as nearby as TN or OK on their way to TX
- Boxes opened with knives and emptied of their contents
- Items that never made it to the destination, but showed up as delivered on the tracking feature, occasionally dated on Sundays when we are closed.
- The USPS mail man putting my items in someone else’s mail box
- The USPS mail man hand delivering my items to the neighbors
- Items that tracking info showed to have been delivered that eventually arrived 3 days later

And just this month I had an item ship from CA on the 2nd and show up as being “delivered” the same day two zip codes over??? This was a pricy item and based on paypal having a strict policy of not ruling in one’s favor if a tracking number shows a delivery was made I was freaking over this. It arrived on the 6th to my address, the box was beat to crap but parts were still good.

Figure this out:crazy:

DELIVERED IN/AT MAILBOX
Nov-03-15, 17:35 PM, SAN RAFAEL 94901

ARRIVAL AT UNIT
Nov-05-15, 06:58 AM, LAREDO 78041

PROCESSED THROUGH USPS SORT FACILITY
Nov-05-15, 01:59 AM, SAN ANTONIO 78284

Order Confirmed
Nov-03-15, 15:12 PM, SAN RAFAEL 94903

ironchop
11-17-2015, 09:58 PM
There must be an algorithm used to determine cost/needless additional mileage.

It probably determines which truck your package hitches a ride on.

I always thought the purpose behind creating forms of shipping alternative to the Postal Service was to actually beat the postal service delivery times. Why pay more to go slower?

Again other ppl's results may vary as sledcrazy pointed out he gets awesome service out on the East Coast from overseas. Maybe its a regional issue. We have a brand new FedEx truck hub here in town and I'm 45 minutes from Nashville TN and 7 minutes to I65 so its not like I live in the middle of a dead zone.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

ctk
11-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Ups also works with the post office. I've had things shipped from ups station but, get delivered by the postman. I've had the same shipping run around you've had also, very frustrating