PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200x won't start at all! Please help!

Hgibson
11-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Okay so I have a 200x that won't run. It has great spark, compression, and is getting fuel. Any body have any ideas? It won't even start with starting fluid. Please help thanks

Jmoozy27
11-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Timing could be off. How did you check the compression? What were the results?

Hgibson
11-19-2015, 07:59 PM
I guessed on the compreesion. It feels pretty good. The ignition timing Is spot on. The previous owner said it started on the 3-5th kick before sitting about 4 years.

atc12
11-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Clean the carb

quy90jeep
11-25-2015, 01:38 AM
It was about 22 degrees here yesterday night in Mertztown PA. My Auto X started right up. Heres what i did. Left the ignition off, line the motor up, set full choke, gave it 2 good pulls. Turn ignition on, set half choke. Line the motor up, fired right up.

Mine does have a fresh motor however. With a 12:1 compression piston.

ATC_Bros
12-04-2015, 10:36 PM
ALWAYS check and make sure its in thr RUN spot on the kill switch, i had one stick inside and took me 2 longs DAYS of pulling and re setting/ re adjusting everything to find the inside of the kill switch was stuck in the off postion, even though on the outside it moved fine BUT was STUCK INSIDE, maybe something you wanna check, same as the SINGLE (primary) wire coming from the stator its easy to unplug also and the two inside the white plug are the secondary for the lights and such, not important if not using any lights, other then that any connections can be checked and cleaned if all rusted or corroded.

quy90jeep
12-05-2015, 04:09 AM
Here's a goofy question to add to this. When the kill switch is off, and i give it a good pull. It will actually fire. It won't run but does go *poom poom*. LoL.

If he's getting spark could you still imagine an issue in the kill switch?

quy90jeep
12-05-2015, 04:12 AM
Clean the carb

I secound his thought on timing. Pull the timing plug from the flywheel cover and rotate the motor to FIRING mark. Then take the pulse generator cover off to see if the marks are lined.

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 12:31 AM
if the kill is NOT stuck or Malfunctioning, then i will 3rd the timing also, i think it ONLY takes a tooth or two in the wrong direction will throw it off, BUT i could be wrong im still learning some of the tricks also. hope it goes well for you.

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 12:38 AM
OK, what....its WILL SPARK when the kill is in the OFF/Kill spot, get someone to help you by pulling it over while having the plug out and ground it on a bolt or frame and see if it REALLY sparks when in OFF/KILL, because that shouldnt be like that im pretty sure, you could try this but i ONLY did this while the bike was in NEUTRAL, find the coil under the tank, there should be a plug on the side with a wire attached to it which is the kill REMOVE IT, TRY STARTING the engine if it starts, let it run and when you need to kill it just PULL the PLUG WIRE off OR use a screw driver and ground the plug out, then you will know for sure if its the switch or not, OFF is OFF and not RUN so it should not SPARK in OFF, if you have spark BUT at the wrong TIME then TIMING is off, only things i can think of to try.

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 08:54 PM
could be a SHEARED Key on the flywheel throwing off the timing, BUT if you can get it all to line up PROPER(engine at TDC and the timing mark at proper mark) then this should not be an issue

jerkin
12-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Get a proper compression test before you do anything else. "feeling" like it has good compression is meaningless, a compression test takes 5 minutes. If you can't borrow a gauge you can get them at Harbor Freight for $10. Not the greatest but they work fine and if you're going to work on your own stuff it is a must have, right next to wrenches and screw drivers. Always start with the basics, then move from the easy stuff through the harder stuff, it will save you a lot of grief and aggravation.

flynfish
12-10-2015, 03:26 PM
I agree I had mine shear the key and bent a valve. I was able to move my kicker with my hand. A 2.59 part and a new valve and I had it running in no time

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

NETRA3
12-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Clean Slow jet, Main jet, and all carb orifices thoroughly.....including air filter....replace spark plug...It sounds like it sat too long and the fuel gelled.... If you already have spark to begin with, you should be able to fire her up...

atcgirl
12-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Keep it simple check for rust in your fuel first. Rust or water in your fuel tank will screw it all up. Will not start with rust. Honda don't like rust!!!!!

atcgirl
12-18-2015, 12:11 AM
If you don't what to deal with it how much do you want