PDA

View Full Version : Bad cold weather starts, any advice

jbander
11-21-2015, 02:03 AM
I have a low mile alt 125 that sat for a decade but I cleaned polished and brought it back from the dead, I'm quite happy with it. It ran great this summer but I'm having trouble in the cold Minnesota weather, It is hard to start. I've tried both choke adjustments. and I reset the Mix and idle screws . IT ran beautifully during the time I ran it till it was parked. Now it takes a few pulls then it starts for just 5-10 seconds then quits , then I pull for a while it starts for 10 seconds then off. Might have to do that 10 time till it will run on its own. Any thought from anyone would be appreciated Thank you

atc12
11-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Clean the carb real good and poke a wire in the pilot jet

sweetip2000
11-22-2015, 08:13 PM
I know they have these things called block warmers for cars. Its like a heated dipstick. I wonder if they make something similar for motorcycles ?

85atc125mguy
11-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Are you running ethanol free gas? The ethanol is usually for summer emissions. It runs less efficient in the winter(less energy). I use ethanol free gas for all my small engines, but in a pinch ive used ethanol based fuels and my generator and mower are very hard to start with it when its cold. They run very rough until they are warmed up. Fuel can go bad in a few weeks, and start to turn to varnish. try draining and adding a gallon or two of fresh ethanol free.

I have to turn idle setting up for the ethanol based fuel, It will barely idle and die on my regular setting.

Good luck!

jbander
11-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Great will do all of this, I did the dipstick in a car when I was young, it burnt the oil badly. Any other Ideas would be appreciated.

atc007
11-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Fresh high test fuel,93, new plug,D7ea, Reclean the carb, close attention to the choke circuit, it draws fuel from the little hole down in the bowl. Look close, you will see what I mean. Choke out on the side of the carb. Make sure your cable is lubed and free,lighter oil in your engine for winter. She will start and idle at high idle like new. Great cold running bikes.

350for350
11-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Try taping pictures of trees with green leaves to your garage windows and use a heat lamp to fool it into thinking that it's summertime? It's ok if you don't. I haven't ever got anyone else to try it either.

jbander
11-26-2015, 01:29 AM
Thanks guys , especially the psychological approach , I've always considered most problem in life having their origin in that reign but I’m cutting out leaves instead because my camera is broken, do you think I can still fool the 3 wheeler.