PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, Hello, fulfilling the dream

thornstein
11-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Hello all. When I was in high school, early 80's, I ran some 3 wheelers but never had one of my own. I used to drool over the Big Red, that was my dream machine. Military, family, kids, career, etc. took over. Just turned 50 and I'm going to purchase a Big Red now that I have the resources and the time. I've got a Polaris side by side and work around the lake with that. But once I find a Big Red I'm going to parade around on it like a Shriner in a clown car. When I'm on it I'm going to be 16 again.

Now I just have to find one.

Great site. Looking to learn a lot.

Thanks,
Tom

85atc125mguy
11-24-2015, 12:56 AM
Once you find one, you will need more. Its like a drug. you cant have enough!
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and help here. Do a lot of reading and find the machine of your dream.
Good luck on your search

Joseph Farrow
11-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Welcome!
You can find some really nice low milage/use Big Reds out there. You just have to be patient.
Good Luck.

ironchop
11-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Yeah they turn up in barns in Tennessee all the time. Joe knows lol

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

e5earley
11-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Good luck with your search. Invest in a compression tester if you don't already have one. Also beware of the "It only needs the carb cleaned trikes" ;)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

thornstein
11-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks all. I'll stay away from the "It only needs the carb cleaned" ones. Good tip. I'm looking for a nice one so I'm going to try and be patient.

Joseph Farrow
11-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Yeah they turn up in barns in Tennessee all the time. Joe knows lol

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

This was a good one. It ended up going to Louisana. :)

Thunder
11-24-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing condition will be more important to you than performance? If you cannot find yourself a 250 in good condition don't knock the 200es they are great utility machines. Fun to cruise and great for around the cabin. On second thought, hold out until you find a 250. Get yourself something with more then just the air in the tires for suspension! Your back will thank you

thornstein
11-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Good call. I'm 6'3" and 240. I need all the assistance I can get.

ATCT
11-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Welcome. Glad you are fulfilling a dream. This one looks pretty nice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-250ES-Big-Red-Three-Wheeler-/111825540219?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a0952547b:g:GDsAAOSwLzdWSMN9&item=111825540219

e5earley
11-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks all. I'll stay away from the "It only needs the carb cleaned" ones. Good tip. I'm looking for a nice one so I'm going to try and be patient.
You can find a diamond in the rough on occasion. I enjoy the rebuild process so I usually only purchase cheap, non running, rusty, dirty, dilapidated machines. However, by the time I'm done I will have probably spent more than if I had bought one in decent shape to begin with. I guess I prefer the death by a thousand cuts method.[emoji1]

As far as what model to look for, I would suggest listing what features are most important for you. After picking up my 185s and watching my wife and kids struggle to pull start it, electric start was a must for me. Reverse gear was another option I wanted. The 200es I found fit the bill, but had I done some more research here I would have known about the front fork issues. I would have probably still bought the trike, but would have tried a little harder to get the price down lower.

Good luck and happy hunting.

thornstein
11-24-2015, 07:21 PM
So, if you were the newbie and looking for a Big Red, a 250, what year would you be looking for specifcally? Any other tips, like the front fork issues? Good to hear this things from someone who has already gone through the pain of learning it.

You can find a diamond in the rough on occasion. I enjoy the rebuild process so I usually only purchase cheap, non running, rusty, dirty, dilapidated machines. However, by the time I'm done I will have probably spent more than if I had bought one in decent shape to begin with. I guess I prefer the death by a thousand cuts method.[emoji1]

As far as what model to look for, I would suggest listing what features are most important for you. After picking up my 185s and watching my wife and kids struggle to pull start it, electric start was a must for me. Reverse gear was another option I wanted. The 200es I found fit the bill, but had I done some more research here I would have known about the front fork issues. I would have probably still bought the trike, but would have tried a little harder to get the price down lower.

Good luck and happy hunting.

coolpool
11-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Your only options for a BR 250 are 85 and 86. Both are great machines and should give you many years of service with regular maintenance. 85's seem to be way more plentiful and both don't have the front fork issues the 84200es had. If you find one that has all the electrical working, i.e. electric start AND the right side cover is intact that's a plus. Be wary of "it only needs a battery". Besides the regular stuff you look for, runs nice, shifts, brakes/lights work, open up the rear diff when you look at one and check for water infiltration. Let us know what you find, good luck!

thornstein
11-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Thank you for the insight. This kind of advice is extremely valuable. I'm compiling a cheat sheet so I know what all to look for. Thanks.

Your only options for a BR 250 are 85 and 86. Both are great machines and should give you many years of service with regular maintenance. 85's seem to be way more plentiful and both don't have the front fork issues the 84200es had. If you find one that has all the electrical working, i.e. electric start AND the right side cover is intact that's a plus. Be wary of "it only needs a battery". Besides the regular stuff you look for, runs nice, shifts, brakes/lights work, open up the rear diff when you look at one and check for water infiltration. Let us know what you find, good luck!

e5earley
11-24-2015, 08:46 PM
A cheat sheet of things to check is an excellent idea. You'll want to add checking condition of air filter to the list. It's one of those things that I consider really telling of how well someone takes care of their equipment. Dirty is one thing. Missing/falling apart is another.

Condition of plastics is an issue depending on asking price. You will spend quite a bit if you need to replace.

Also, anytime I go to look at a piece of equipment that is supposed to be in running condition, I ask the owner not to crank and run it before I get there if possible. I like to see how it starts up cold. Does it start easily and does it smoke. Smoking on startup means a valve job will be in your future.

atc12
11-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Check the rear diff. What part of IL are you in?

350for350
11-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Of course the 250sx was practically a twin to the 250es. It's another option unless you're dead set on a Big Red.

thornstein
11-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I live in Pekin. Thanks, Tom

Check the rear diff. What part of IL are you in?

ATCT
11-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Did you see this listing? It's in Illinois. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/176847-1985-big-red-super-clean-with-nice-original-tires-for-sale

And another in Illinois. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/176845-86-200x-87-Big-Red-350x-NOS-engine-For-Sale

thornstein
11-30-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm too new to the forum and don't have access to that area yet. If possible, please email them to me at tchornstein@gmail.com Thank you

Did you see this listing? It's in Illinois. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/176847-1985-big-red-super-clean-with-nice-original-tires-for-sale

And another in Illinois. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/176845-86-200x-87-Big-Red-350x-NOS-engine-For-Sale

TrickShot
11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
PM "captainweezy (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/member.php/21076-captainweezy)" he is selling a nice one in IL.:cool:

thornstein
12-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Done, thank you for the lead. :beer

PM "captainweezy (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/member.php/21076-captainweezy)" he is selling a nice one in IL.:cool:

ATCT
12-02-2015, 04:52 PM
I'm too new to the forum and don't have access to that area yet. If possible, please email them to me at tchornstein@gmail.com Thank you

I sent you a PM with the other listing. "Captainweezy" was the first listing.

thornstein
12-02-2015, 11:20 PM
General question please. When looking for a Big Red and knowing the obvious age, should I be concerned if it has a title or not? I'm thinking that most have changed hands many time (not stolen) and that in 30 plus years the farmers that owned them may not have worried about a title. Advice please??

ATC_Bros
12-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Always be WARY of what ANYONE selling you somethings says, BUT the odd time "its only a carb clean" is true my first two trikes were like that and i got then about $100 off on one and about $150 cheaper on the other which is what i used to buy the second, NEVER try and start or run it if the gas in the tank does not look and smell fresh, the recent one i got the guy wanted to try and start it and show me but i looked at the gas before hand and Ummmm, lets say it was the Color and Thickness of CHOCOLATE MILK, that is a Take it as is for CHEAPER situation, if you want to do the work.

thornstein
12-04-2015, 10:08 AM
I am definitely opening up the gas tank now. CHOCOLATE MILK!!! I never would have guessed that one. Thanks.

Always be WARY of what ANYONE selling you somethings says, BUT the odd time "its only a carb clean" is true my first two trikes were like that and i got then about $100 off on one and about $150 cheaper on the other which is what i used to buy the second, NEVER try and start or run it if the gas in the tank does not look and smell fresh, the recent one i got the guy wanted to try and start it and show me but i looked at the gas before hand and Ummmm, lets say it was the Color and Thickness of CHOCOLATE MILK, that is a Take it as is for CHEAPER situation, if you want to do the work.

thornstein
12-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Thank you TrickShot. I purchased one from captainweezy. Very nice machine and I'm very pleased with it. Here's a pic.

12-10-15: and I just ordered a new carb from flyingW. It runs great now but I wanted the cold start kit just to make sure it runs great all the time.

ATCT
12-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Whoa. That's awesome. Amazing shape. Very cool it has the correct Ohtsu tires on it as well. Congrats!

thornstein
12-14-2015, 05:07 PM
This past weekend I took off all the racks and guards, prepped them, and painted them with a semi-gloss black. It looks even better. I've got a carb coming from flyingW and then I think I'm done. I'm not going to work it hard, mostly parade it around the lake like a shriner in a clown car. I may haul a trailer with some wood when I'm out with the chainsaw. I don't need to work it hard, I've got a side by side for that. I would like to find a small basket for the front rack though.

Whoa. That's awesome. Amazing shape. Very cool it has the correct Ohtsu tires on it as well. Congrats!

ATCT
12-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Hopefully you can find one of these (from the 1985 Honda Accessories Catalog)

Here's a Big Red for sale that has the basket... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-ATC-Big-Red-200-ES-1984-Completely-Original-Museum-Quality-/131674614110?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item1ea86b295e:g:X7kAAOSwcBhWbJSh

thornstein
12-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that link ATCT.

Update: Last weekend I removed all the racks, headlight included, and repainted them. Tonight I installed the carb I ordered from flyingW. Didn't have a problem with the old carb but I did want a cold start kit and the reliability that comes with his rebuilt carbs. I have never removed or installed one before. Jim wrote up some directions and I didn't screw it up. Fired up as soon as it got gas.

Polished up the plastics and I think I'm done for now. Now it's time to take it out and cruise around. I'm going to treat it pretty nice, which I'll enjoy just fine.

ATCT
01-07-2016, 01:22 PM
PM sent....

86125m
01-07-2016, 11:20 PM
If you want a basket. I robed a wire basket out of a yeti cooler similar to this http://m.ebay.com/itm/Igloo-20067-Wire-Cooler-Basket-Black-New-/371436771400?nav=SEARCH . it fit great I cut small pieces of aluminum and used them as bracket for the already cut holes in the front rack.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

thornstein
01-07-2016, 11:22 PM
That is an awesome idea. I'm going to order one. Thank you very much.