PDA

View Full Version : Steel recoil rope

pinkhippo1
11-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Has anyone ever used a steel recoil rope?

quy90jeep
12-01-2015, 07:05 AM
I once used weed wacker string in a serious pinch.

Apparently, there have. Been people who used paracord. Personally, i use cobra cord. My 200x is still on original cord. But will be replaced sooner than later.

3R Better
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Ive entertained the idea of a coated cable... wonder if it would work?

Joseph Farrow
12-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Back in the early days of the 90-110 you just about had to run a cable. With highly modified motors going from a stock 89cc to 180+cc's with high compression pistons you could easily snap a rope pull start. The cable was the way to go.

This is from a early 80's Big Al's catalog.
Mega Start Cable:

They are still available today. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391111973543?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

quy90jeep
12-03-2015, 03:27 AM
Interesting post, Joseph!

jb2wheels
12-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Back in the early days of the 90-110 you just about had to run a cable. With highly modified motors going from a stock 89cc to 180+cc's with high compression pistons you could easily snap a rope pull start. The cable was the way to go.

This is from a early 80's Big Al's catalog.
Mega Start Cable:

I ran those BAPP cables on my 185s back in the day. I used to break ropes all the time. I have looong arms and pull the ropes did not like being yanked all the way to the end of their travel. I got real good at re-threading and re-knotting the ropes before I put a cable in.

pipeline triker
12-03-2015, 05:45 PM
The main problem with steel cables in a recoil is they cut in pretty fast to the outlet. Lots of snowmobiles used cables for lots of years in the 60's and early 70's. They had poly inserts and rubber cushioning to slow down the sawing action. I have a couple atc rewinds with the old cable kits and some people just put cables in. The cable will destroy a seat or tank if it hits them when pulling it over. Also they rust after a while.

pinkhippo1
01-23-2016, 05:15 PM
I didn't think about it ripping the seat that'd be a big disappointment thanks for the info guys I'm just going to use rope. I still have not gotten this thing together.. I know it's a shame lol

El Camexican
01-24-2016, 11:23 AM
The main problem with steel cables in a recoil is they cut in pretty fast to the outlet. Lots of snowmobiles used cables for lots of years in the 60's and early 70's. They had poly inserts and rubber cushioning to slow down the sawing action. I have a couple atc rewinds with the old cable kits and some people just put cables in. The cable will destroy a seat or tank if it hits them when pulling it over. Also they rust after a while.

This brought back a lot of memories. None of our sleds used them, but lots ot the others guys did. I recall my Dad's chainsaw had one too. Like you said, tore up everything in it's path. The only thing I don't recall was the cables rusting. The old sleds had so much oil and grease atomizing under the cowls when they ran it was like an oil bath. The only thing that ever rusted on them was the bottoms of the skies during the summer.:lol: