PDA

View Full Version : 83 honda 200x fork seal replacement question

Thunder
11-28-2015, 11:14 PM
Hey guys. I'm in the process of changing my fork seals and wipers.
I emptied out the mud that the PO had been using as oil. Looked like melted chocolate ice cream all 3 tablespoons of it...
So, got the snap ring out and pulled the tube like a slide hammer until the seal popped out.
Now for my problem...
I cannot force the new seal in far enough to get it to seat. This is because I cannot get the slider bushing in far enough. Tried gently tapping around all sides of the bushing trying to get it to seat but it won't budge.
If I turn the backer plate upside down I can get the seal in far enough to get the snap ring in.
Will this cause any serious issues having the backer plate upside down?
I figured I'd better ask now before I reinstall it.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

flynfish
12-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Hey thunder I used a homemade seal setter out of PVC pipe. I just lubed it up couple small taps and was in. Hope it helps

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Thunder
12-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I've got no problem setting the seal. It's the brass slider on the fork that won't seat far enough into the lower fork tube. I just got home from work so I'll giver another go trying to get it in properly. Probably give it some heat and see what happens

onformula1
12-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Something doesn't sound correct.

Please don't use heat, just grease the ID & OD of the DU slide metal bushing, drop it over the fork tube, then install the washer (Honda calls it a back up ring) then use your driver to tap it in until the bushing is seated, then grease the fork seal and drive it in, install the clip making sure it is seat all the way around, install the greased dust deal by hand.

That's it, make sure everything is very clean before any assembly.

onformula1
12-09-2015, 11:24 PM
This maybe helpful if you are missing parts-

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1983/ATC200X+A/FRONT+SHOCK+ABSORBER/parts.html

Thunder
12-11-2015, 02:50 AM
Thanks onformula. I got it all sorted. I'm working outside in an unheated garage. Guess it would be around 20 degrees out there. I just had to warm up the lower fork tube a little and everything went in smoothly. Got the new steering stem bearings in and got the tripples on the frame today. Just need to get the new bearings in the swingarm and I may have a rolling chassis soon.

86125m
12-11-2015, 11:21 AM
The 200x forks are literately hell to work on. I rebuilt one of my 200m shock no problem. But when I rebuilt my 200x shocks I broke more than I fixed in there.

RUNMEDOWN
12-11-2015, 02:26 PM
The 200x forks are literately hell to work on. I rebuilt one of my 200m shock no problem. But when I rebuilt my 200x shocks I broke more than I fixed in there.
Well that makes me feel good about this weekends project.

onformula1
12-11-2015, 03:46 PM
If you run into trouble PM me I have those forks down to 20 minutes, tops plus cleaning time.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Thunder
12-12-2015, 02:12 AM
It wasn't bad at all minus the slider bushing. Most frustrating part is the snap ring removal. Get yourself a long 1 inch diameter brush and a jug of mineral spirits. Scrub and clean out everything. The second fork went much faster than the first. Get some 1 and 1/4 inch pvc to use to press the seal into place and you're golden.

RUNMEDOWN
12-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Just did mine 20 mins ago. The junk I poured out of the forks smells like the PO was riding in a pig farm. Nasty. But it had bushings and scrubbers that looked new. Just got done painting then the reassemble after paint cures.

Mackus84
03-11-2016, 06:51 PM
I know this is a few months old, but im doing my fork seals now and wasnt paying attention on disassembly. Which way does the back up ring, and oil seal face?