PDA

View Full Version : EXTREAMLY WEIRD ATC 200 engine question

ATC_Bros
11-29-2015, 09:55 PM
ok i guess you could say im new to ATC's but not too the game of owning toys as such, i recently bought a rather complete 1983 ATC 200 (no letter) with the stock engine from what i can tell from the numbers this site kindly provides fall in line with being stock, this is the 3rd Atc i picked up in the past 4 or so months and NEVER have i seen a 200 or any atc with a NGK BR9ES spark plug and NOT the standard Dr8es-l plug im used to :wondering but when i go to switch the plug the thread size is BIGGER then the Dr8es-l plug, :( it doesnt looked drilled from what i can so far,any ideas i went 2.5 hours one way to Barrie from Waterford to grab it for $200 and got back once dark, tomorrow im going to pull the tank and possibly the engine and OPEN UP its "LID"...LOL and see exactly whats going on but if ANYONE can think of a reason,(aftermarket race head) DOUBT IT but even then its the DR8E series plug,but hey i guess i will find out tomorrow and post my finding,

Thanks

John Tice
11-29-2015, 10:19 PM
What sizes are the holes? 14 x 1.25, 12 x 1.25?
JT

shortline10
11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Sounds like it's been tapped out for the larger plug . Probably work just fine , can always put a br8es if you need a hotter plug .

atctim
11-30-2015, 11:40 AM
I agree with Shortline. The hole most likely got stripped out, and rather than fix it the correct way or replace it, they drilled and tapped it bigger. If it runs OK - I wouldn't mess with it.

ATC_Bros
12-02-2015, 12:44 AM
OK guy, i opened up the engine and it HAS been drilled and tapped for the other plug, i must say whoever did it must have known there crap because it looks like stock inside and out, the size between the valve seats are the same and not messed up the thing seals GREAT no leaking or anything, Sure i didn't hear or see it run before i bought ONLY because once i seen the MILK Water that he called "gas" i said i would give less and take as it is which worked out OK since its a bit more complete then my other one,ALL NEW Brakes, 3 new tires,shocks are mint, complete seat, more in parts then what i paid($200+2.5hrs drive) im going to clean RE adjust it ALL, put it back together and see what happens, and if the engines runs and lasts for the winter and pulls my ice fishing sled, im GOOD since i have my other 200e engine in a box ALL rebuilt with NEW rings, Cam, Gaskets, Valve seals, and all the good stuff, and thats the engine im going to use once this 200(no number) dies, then it gets the rebuild, Thanks for the INFO Guys.