PDA

View Full Version : newer Dodge truck

atc300r
12-02-2015, 02:24 PM
I bought this 06 Dodge Ram 1500 today. v6 auto short box 2x4.The truck is from a southern state no rust. 92000 miles. My s10 is getting rusty and falling apart runs great thought. 224454224455

oldskool83
12-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Mopar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big specht
12-02-2015, 07:12 PM
You better oil the SH*T out of that thing if you want it to last more than 5 years in NY. The brine mix they speading on the roads these days seem to be eating the sh*t out of the vehicles.

coolpool
12-02-2015, 09:06 PM
You better oil the SH*T out of that thing if you want it to last more than 5 years in NY. The brine mix they speading on the roads these days seem to be eating the sh*t out of the vehicles.

x10. My 06 has cancer around the rear wheel wells and I live in a relatively dry province.

oldskool83
12-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Or he could just POR the etire truck and undercoat it. I did that to mine but it was a frame up build.

El Camexican
12-03-2015, 12:56 AM
x10. My 06 has cancer around the rear wheel wells and I live in a relatively dry province.

Back in Winterpeg we were always amazed at how little your trucks out West rusted. Ours seem to grow pork chops on the sides in just a couple years.:lol:

fieldy
12-03-2015, 01:47 AM
I too have noticed premature rust on dodges i've seen that I thought to myself ,"that truck ain't that old"! I think I'm going to mix diesel fuel with 10 w 40 motor oil in a pump up sprayer and spray under my truck this year before the salt blast. Our Colts weather is horrible for about anything man-made and pretty hard on nature itself. The good old fashion hand waxing of paint goes a long way in stopping the surface rust I've been seeing, but who got time for that, i understand, lol.

atc300r
12-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Theres a shop a block from my work that does undercoating its called Rust Check. We had a hard winter here last year and I noticed a lot of vehicles looked like they were rusted a lot more than before winter. I realy noticed it on my 97 s10. I also noticed that the Dodges seam to rust out quicker than the others.

oldskool83
12-03-2015, 09:13 AM
They rust out at wheel wells because there is a "C" channel in there that just hold the water. if you cut it away and install OEM mopar fender wells for $125 and rust proof the entire underside this goes away. Same goes for Rocker pannels and frame...good old east wood internal frame coating, buy 10 cans ans go to down. Then go buy 10 cans of 3M undercoating at autozone and go over it again. That will help most peoples rust problems cheaply.

I'm on my 3rd ram and I'm keeping this one for long time....so i took it to the frame and build it up. I saw a 4th gen in the parking lot start to bubble at wheel rear wheel wells the other day. My truck has 3 coats of POR on everything thats metal under it. Looks as good as the day I did it 2 years ago.

atc300r
12-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Sweet truck looks great under there. Thanks for the info.

90nut
12-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Best rust proofing agent I have ever seen is the rust proof stuff they spray on the undercarriage and into the,doors and all that. Had my one truck done every 2 years and up to the day I totaled it it never had a speck of,rust on it. Drivin' winter after winter. Cheap route for that would be,to mix some acetone with transmission fluid. Spray it everywhere, stuff works great! I use that on the skid loaders we do snow removal with. Its a,mess but works,great.

big specht
12-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Used motor oil it's free when you change it your self. Use a cheap weed sprayer

Dirtweed
12-04-2015, 09:50 AM

I learned that with my '06 Dakota. Now I get my 2014 RAM sprayed every year. Carwell gets into the fenders, doors, hood everywhere. My brother has been doing it for years and his vehicles have
survived Buffalo winters without rust.

atc300r
12-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Iv talked to several people that have used Rust Check and they say its the way to go. A lady that works where I do is the sister of the owner and I can get a good deal.

coolpool
12-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Iv talked to several people that have used Rust Check and they say its the way to go. A lady that works where I do is the sister of the owner and I can get a good deal.
There's an even better product IMO called Krown Rustproofing. It seems to resist washing off better and can actually "creep" up metal over time. I religiously sprayed my 79 Blazer and I sold it with original floor, brakelines and gas tank in 2007. Amazing stuff. Same price as rust check too I imagine.

atc300r
12-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will check that out.