PDA

View Full Version : sticky downshift

ac10
12-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Hi..have 85 big red 250 es..my problem is transmission ...upshifts okay ,but downshifting it lever sticks and you have to kick it up...also reverse ,sometimes you have to kick lever up to go in reverse..checked clutch adjustment okay.Pulled both side covers ..everything seems okay..anyone had this problem? Oh yeah reverse cable is adjusted properly cause goes in reverse no problem..thanks for any solutions...

shortline10
12-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Try using some Atv wet clutch type synthetic motor oil , if that doesn't help you might have worn or bent shift forks .

quy90jeep
12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I've had a similar problem with clutch out of adjustment. As well as the bolts that hold the plates and friction together, somehow walk loose. Its harder to synchronize downshifts than upshifts. So i'm just assuming your problem COULD be among the line of faulty clutch disengagement

shortline10
12-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Can always pull the left side cover off and shift the tranny manualy at the shift drum . That will determine if it's a shift linkage / clutch issue or tranny issue .

ac10
12-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Can always pull the left side cover off and shift the tranny manualy at the shift drum . That will determine if it's a shift linkage / clutch issue or tranny issue .

Yes, checked shifting with clutch disenged ,seemed to be free no binding..will check all clutch parts wash outclutch discs if still not okay will have to go to left side...thanks