PDA

View Full Version : 185 timing questions

What2007
12-05-2015, 12:03 PM
First off, I have tried searching for an answer, but I could not find anything. I am trying to set the timing on my 185 and something is not making sense. I read on another post about the camshaft having a dowel on it for the part that attaches to the shaft to remain in place. I do not have that I guess.

Is that hole on the shaft supposed to be where the dowel goes? Here is a picture of the little flywheel thing that attaches to the shaft. It has a notch for what looks like said missing dowel.

Here is my concern though. If in fact this is how everything is supposed to go together, it looks nothing like the how to thread I saw on this site. The following picture shows what the timing would be like if the slot and the hole were lined up together. It makes no sense with the motor being at TDC

What2007
12-05-2015, 12:11 PM
http://youtu.be/WHPZfSLFh5Q

http://youtu.be/WHPZfSLFh5Q

hoosierlogger
12-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Yes there is supposed to be a Dowel pin in the hole on the cam. That's what keeps the rotor in line on the shaft. Won't run without it.

You will have to loosen the cam chain and move the cam chain on the sprocket untill the cam and gear rotate around to the correct spot. Loosen the valves first, it makes it a lot easier to turn the cam. The pin might be hard to find. Wonder where it went? Have you ever had this running?

81ATC185S
12-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah if I were you and I didnt have a different engine to swap in, I would split the case and find that little fucker. While your in there may aswell do clutches and stuff aswell.

ironchop
12-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Did you just replace the cam?

Last two new cams I bought didn't come with the dowel installed.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

What2007
12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
I got this as it sits. Been trying to get it running. About tired of dealing with it.

hoosierlogger
12-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Where are you at in Illinois?

What2007
12-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Where are you at in Illinois?

Troy. Just outside of St. Louis.

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Not to HIJACK this thread but im having an issue something like this also BUT my problem lies in what i think may be a missing bolt and woodruff key from the big Hub that has the Timing Marks on it( F/T ) like it says above it should be at TDC when the T mark is aligned, and well........its NOT at TDC when aligned, im HOPING TO GOD( not religious ) that its NOT a STRIPPED OUT KEY WAY, because then i have no choice but to use my FRESH ENGINE which i do not wanna do YET, i need to take it to my buddy down the road and see if we can pull the hub and inspect that shaft, and make sure im not SHAFTED, LOL

hoosierlogger
12-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Troy. Just outside of St. Louis.

Well I can't help you. I'm too far away. You probably need to pull the motor out and flush the oil and crank case. flush it acouple times with kerosene to try to wash the pin out. That will cause you major problem if it is rolling around in the case.

HairyJR
12-08-2015, 12:43 PM
First as others have posted look for the dowel pin, it's a very small steel pin 3mm (.118") dia. X 5mm (.196") long. At least at a minimum install a magnetic drain plug. Now after looking at your video the fix is simple as the cam timing is correct, the Pulser Rotor assembly is assembled wrong, spread the advance plate weights, pull the rotor out and rotate 180 degrees, reinstall, done!

"HJ" 224725 :beer

What2007
12-08-2015, 10:23 PM
First as others have posted look for the dowel pin, it's a very small steel pin 3mm (.118") dia. X 5mm (.196") long. At least at a minimum install a magnetic drain plug. Now after looking at your video the fix is simple as the cam timing is correct, the Pulser Rotor assembly is assembled wrong, spread the advance plate weights, pull the rotor out and rotate 180 degrees, reinstall, done!

"HJ" 224725 :beer

I will try that. Does anyone have the part number for the missing pin?

What2007
12-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Ok so I got the dowel pin in and hopefully everything is lined up correctly. I do have a nice blue spark. My problem now is this whole decompression issue. I do not have a decompression cable, so after about two or three pulls, it's almost impossible to pull the rope.

I'm looking at the decompression lever with the valve cap off trying to figure out he psychology of this system but with no luck. Is the shaft of the lever supposed to go in the rocket arm, or just sit on that perch on the rocker arm? Please help. I'm running out of time as this is supposed to be a Christmas present

What2007
12-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Alright, I do not think the decompression lever is the issue. I took the spark plug out and it's still damn near impossible to pull the rope. I have no clue now.

e5earley
12-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Check and make sure it's in neutral. I would double check your valve clearance also.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What2007
12-19-2015, 03:11 PM
What's the shift pattern on these?

e5earley
12-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Down to shift into gear. Up to put into neutral. If it's still there, it has a plastic piece on a shaft next to shifter that will show when it is in neutral.

HairyJR
12-19-2015, 10:09 PM
To help someone else who might read this thread posting looking for an answer, did rotating the Pulser Rotor assembly correct the timing problem? Did you ever did it to run? The decompression lever needs to be activated each time you try to rope pull start these motors, you might even have to slowly pull through overlap stroke so the lever stays up and a full pull can be accomplished.

"HJ" 225237 :beer

What2007
12-20-2015, 10:46 AM
To help someone else who might read this thread posting looking for an answer, did rotating the Pulser Rotor assembly correct the timing problem? Did you ever did it to run? The decompression lever needs to be activated each time you try to rope pull start these motors, you might even have to slowly pull through overlap stroke so the lever stays up and a full pull can be accomplished.

"HJ" 225237 :beer

I do not know if it resolved the problem as I can't get it to start. I do not know what you mean by activating the decompression lever. The lever does nothing when the rope is pulled because the is no cable. I even tried to hold the lever open and have someone else pull, this did not change how hard it was to turn the motor.

HairyJR
12-20-2015, 01:10 PM
sorry my bad, foregot that the cable operated decompression model doesn't allow manual activation, been a couple decades since I worked on the 185/200 models. If you pull the spark plug and spirit a couple drops of gas in does it try to run? With the cable missing is there something dragging in the rope pull starting assembly?

"HJ" 225245 :beer

e5earley
12-20-2015, 04:05 PM
My 185s is missing the decompression cable and you can still manually use the lever.

What2007
12-21-2015, 12:51 PM
I finally got tired of messing around and tore the calve cover off. Looks like the cam sprocket was on there 180* off. I started a new thread about the decompression issue for those that are interested.