PDA

View Full Version : Honda atc 200 Flywheel key way ISSUE and QUESTION

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 08:14 PM
ok i have recently picked up a 83' Atc 200 with the stock 200 engine, while re assembling it and trying to line up the CAM and TIMING marks i quickly found out that the F/T marks DO NOT LINE UP with TDC like they should , so i pulled off the pull start to find...................NO Center Bolt on the Flywheel, so i grabbed a puller from my buddy next door,just to find that there is also NO KEY INSIDE the key way, good thing is that the Flywheel seats NICE and TIGHT, once i had the flywheel off i quickly seen that the key way on the crank is A BIT MESSED UP, my question is......what is the BEST SAFEST way to remedy this issue WITHOUT getting it WELDED and re cut, could i cut it a bit bigger for a bigger key and maybe JB Weld it in place like i read somewhere else on another thread, i need to get this lined up so i can run this engine, and Would REALLY hate to Scrap the engine just because of this issue, and i DO NOT have any EXTRAS to replace it with, ANY INFO would be GREAT, Thanks

jeswinehart
12-07-2015, 08:32 PM
If there is anyway you post up a picture close up of shaft with jacked up keyway + flywheel keyway if would be very helpful.

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Here is the PIC i forgot to add it to the first POST, oppps....From what i can tell the Flywheel is perfect and nothing wrong with the key way just dirty, NOW the Crank key way is a different story, PLEASE tell me it can be fixed and not SCRAPED, THANKS 224700224701224702

jeswinehart
12-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Well IMO you are certainly not going to be out anything trying anything on the crank shaft end.
I believe the keyway damage is a direct result of the buggered up bolt hole,,, as in no bolt.
If you can get that tapped out you have a real shot at the flywheel staying where it should,,, there again IMO.
I would probably also try to clamp a keyway in place and peen the edges back up against it.
Like I said, you ain't gonna be out nothing,, that is rather jack'd up,,,, just like you said.

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 10:20 PM
OK, i will see what i can do as for re threading the end of the crank(which is what you mean?) and i have NO BOLT gunna get new, and i have the gear required for that and when the crank was ON it was ON but not in the right place, im not sure if the guy took it apart and didnt know his stuff or it was someones "BOGGER" and this could have happen from hydro locking/abuse, lets just say the engine had Water in the Oil, Rusty Chocolate Milk for gas, and the worst an OWNER who "THINKS" he know what he is doing, me im kinda New to the trikes BUT NOT NEW to PLANT EARTH, but common sense evades some people, NOW its my time to shine and FIX IT RIGHT. im working on trying to fit a key from a 12hp briggs but that key way is OPENED up pretty good, its more of a DITCH then anything

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 10:26 PM
and when i said i dont have extras to replace it i mean for the crank shaft, an EXTRA engine i have (Fresh 82' 200e) also but wanted to kill(run till its done) this engine before i tear it down and rebuild it(83' 200). The 200e was/is the engine for my '84 200s so i dont want 2 trikes 1 engine...that would suck.....lol

jeswinehart
12-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Please keep us posted as you progress.
I'm sure some of the better fixers on here have run across that sort of carnage and hopefully they'll post up their short term fixes

ATC_Bros
12-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Hey as long as the fix holds till the rings are done/ compression is low then i dont mind doing the COMPLETE tear down and possibly get it welded and recut, if its not worth it i will have to find another crank, this engine is not bad dont get me wrong and i take care of all my gear so, IF and i mean IF i can get it to run as is i dont think it would break if done right, i was reading either on here or another site about this issue and someone said to clean it all up, use Valve lapping compound and reface the flywheel and crank so they fit SNUG and TIGHT, clean is all up again good, apply LOCTITE 638 Cylindrical Locking compound on the crank shaft and put the flywheel on without key, line it up and TORQUE to spec and once dry it should NOT move if torqued DOWN GOOD, does this sound right to ANYONE?

86125m
12-08-2015, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't get it repaired i would replace the whole crankshaft.

ATC_Bros
12-08-2015, 09:46 PM
ya well replacing it is really not an option since i would rather use the engine for parts then spend more cash, me im going to see about getting a key inside to line it up and torque it all down with Loctite 368 cylindrical locking compound on the shaft like i was reading was done on a crank with damage like this, the other guy had NO ISSUES for the 2.5 years he rode the bike and when he needed to get it off it required heat to remove, and if just replace it is your answer dont post an answer, im looking to "try" and repair it till the compression is done then MAYBE i might spend the cash to rebuild it all(Crank and Rings) BUT the way it sits its either PARTS or getting FIXED.

ATC_Bros
12-08-2015, 11:21 PM
OK im sorry for being a dink ans saying that, im just a bit POed due to the fact it may cost me the same or more for a crank then what i paid for the bike in the first place but what i figure im going to do is take the top end ( Piston/rings, the Jug, and valve train) and drop it ontop of mt '83 200e lower block ALTHOUGH i did not wanna do this but i would like something to take me and my ice fishing gear out to the ice. AGAIN MY BAD im sorry for saying what i said.