PDA

View Full Version : Credit card oddities...balance keeps going up.

tri again
12-14-2015, 02:32 AM
I spend what I need and look for deals on stuff.
Small town so I go to the same 4 places once or 2x a month.
HW store, gas, food. VERY predictable patterns.

Cap one called and asked if I used my credit card at an ATM 100 miles away.

Never used a creditcard at an atm..didn't know you could.

So now a charge at w.mart for 500 and 2899, yes, 2899.00
in charges to Verizon.
I use a disposable phone for 10 bucks a month.

The interesting thing is that someone actually MADE a plastic card
that they could use at a machine.
That card has never left my sight.
Maybe the new rfid cards are readable from a distance?

I use payal for trike parts etc..totally separate as I use it like a bank account.

Oh, and never ever post your real birthday as they are using that to
confirm who you are. Medically and bank fraud departments.

Can't believe it happened to me.

Clcik here to confirm your account - NEVER. do it.
Call whomever directly.
NEVER give anyone the code off the back..
and hundreds of other suggestions if you have the stomach to look it up.

Glad it was a ccard and not my bank account......PooooF!

Jmoozy27
12-14-2015, 08:53 AM
It's just the shear laziness of these pricks that bothers me. But is it laziness? They still have to turn around and seep the crap that they bought on the black market for half price. Seems like a lot of BS to me when they could just go get a half decent job and make enough to stay out of jail. Glad y'all caught it before it got out of hand.

250rAL
12-18-2015, 10:24 PM
My card got "used" recently in California (I'm in Iowa) for several things including Dominoes pizza. They only got away with the small charges, the others were denied. We were out there back in May. I figure it must have been skimmed at a gas station or something and they just got around to using it. Their bad luck was that we weren't local so the card company flagged it.

El Camexican
12-18-2015, 11:52 PM
They all but cleaned out an account of mine a few months back. I'm 99.99% sure they read the card at a gas station ATM in San Antonio as it was the only place I used the debit card in a machine all year. Everything else is PayPal. I got lucky because they somehow ended up shipping something they bought to MY ADDRESS???!!!:lol: Had that not happened 30 days would have passed and the bank wouldn't have paid the lost money back. Scumbag pricks...

Now I'm setup to get a text every time there is a movement in the account.

tri again
12-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Just heard that your caller ID MAY show an 800 number that may say B of A or whatever, but NEVER call that one.
Get the number off your c card or bank statement as they can easily be forwarded
to god knws where.
Google 'spoofing'. It's legal to show a fake number.
Yupp, either a 'skimmer' to read your mag stripe or mini camera to show numbers and pin id sequence,
or a hacked bank computer....and on and on.
If you google this stuff, there are hours and hours of info to read.

My bank told me about a pre internet hack.
Some cabinet shop guys made a frame with a brass clamshell deal and hung it on the wall
of the bank covering the real nite drop, on Friday nite, in a heavy restaurant / bar area
and simply unscrewed it from the wall on sunday nite.

I froze all my accounts and dropped one card to 300$ which I may start using for
stuff in person. That way they have my spending patterns and I told them I will call them if
I go out of my area.

Hope that helps but I guess we'll see.

Scootertrash
12-20-2015, 09:34 PM
I had 2 incidents over the last 3 years. On both they tried a small purchase of something like a couple dollars to see if it went thru. Citi caught it tho.