PDA

View Full Version : Love/Hate Relationship

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Been locked up in the garage for a spell working on my new project.....Yes, I went to the darkside and decided that I needed to fulfill my want from the teenage years and bought a Banshee.

Long story short, I ended up looking high and low and finally found one for a reasonable price fairly close to home. Got there, guy said he sheared the key off in the ignition and it hadn't been ran for a couple years. Aesthetically it looked pretty good. Cylinder compression was a little low and after putting some gas in, ran decent but felt, acted and idled like a carb problem. So I got a good deal and brought her home. 2003 Limited Edition Banshee

Did my research and decided to remove the bulky TORS. Bought the delete kit, shindy carb rebuild kits, new ignition, new filter, new boyesen reeds and yay problems over or so I thought. (by the way...anyone wonder why the carbs were filled full of crap? I love the rubber band and zip tie on the old filter...as if the design wasn't bad enough)

Everything went back on, fired her up and to my surprise it still ran like total crap....tinkered for hours trying to figure it out. Decided it was time for a pressure test which turned out to NOT be the culprit. Knowing that the cylinders were low on compression I pulled the cylinders and found this. Also, the compression rings were pretty much fused to both pistons...what a mess.

I couldn't find the other half of the piston, so I decided to break the cases down.....

The crank is currently getting trued/welded, cylinders bored and tranny being inspected by FAST racing. Also got a ton of parts coming back in. In the mean time, I decided to fix my sandblaster (been down for a couple months) and get the cases ready for assembly.

Nothing like a good project to pass those winter days.....LOL

oldskool83
12-14-2015, 12:09 PM
And you see why I was so pissed off at mine....your having nearly all the same problems.

A word of advise:

Buy a kompulsiveconcepts drag/race wiring harness (no key, lights, VR, torrs...all junk eliminated) He makes other ones with torrs and key removed to delete lot of electrical issues.
Relocate your harness up front at your nose...CDI's and VR's do not need to be smaked by rocks from the rear wheels
put 1983-1984 ATC250R or 1983-1985 ATC200X rear hubs on it, they Bolton and will give your some free width and a Honda bolt pattern.

I see you did the predesign foam filter and billet mod...the OEM is 100% junk.

Throw on a 2007+ YFZ450 front mastster cylinder which is a huge upgrade.

A baseline for jetting with your filter, no air box lid and full exhaust is 30pilot and 280 main.

I just lost all spark on mine again. Only run OEM coil, Stator, CDI. Harness can be aftermarket and is a lot nicer then the horrible stock one. Also if you add a few washer by the end of your silencers they should space your headers back away from the air box...I haven't seen 1 banshee with out a melted air box.

Enjoy. Now you see why I had so much into mine. One thing after another.

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 12:27 PM
And you see why I was so pissed off at mine....your having nearly all the same problems.

A word of advise:

Buy a kompulsiveconcepts drag/race wiring harness (no key, lights, VR, torrs...all junk eliminated) He makes other ones with torrs and key removed to delete lot of electrical issues.
Relocate your harness up front at your nose...CDI's and VR's do not need to be smaked by rocks from the rear wheels
put 1983-1984 ATC250R or 1983-1985 ATC200X rear hubs on it, they Bolton and will give your some free width and a Honda bolt pattern.

I see you did the predesign foam filter and billet mod...the OEM is 100% junk.

Throw on a 2007+ YFZ450 front mastster cylinder which is a huge upgrade.

A baseline for jetting with your filter, no air box lid and full exhaust is 30pilot and 280 main.

I just lost all spark on mine again. Only run OEM coil, Stator, CDI. Harness can be aftermarket and is a lot nicer then the horrible stock one. Also if you add a few washer by the end of your silencers they should space your headers back away from the air box...I haven't seen 1 banshee with out a melted air box.

Enjoy. Now you see why I had so much into mine. One thing after another.

Hey Aaron, I have been watching your posts over on Banshee HQ. Sorry to hear about all the problems with yours. Something I forgot to mention was I inspected my entire harness after reading about your problems and everything spec'd out correctly and the spark is decent. If I have any electrical issues once all this is done I will PM you. I pretty much figure that most banshee's have had the everloving crap ridden out of them and this one is no exception. I new I would eventually have to do a bore job just didn't think it would be this soon and this bad. Also, thanks for the tips!

I forgot to mention that this is probably the easiest case I have ever broken down. I had it out of the bike and torn down in 1.5 hours...new record. I WILL NOT be timing myself putting it back together...LOL

shortline10
12-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Nice ! Money pits but their fun , did a 421 stroker motor not to long ago , wicked fast so be careful:)

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Nice ! Money pits but their fun , did a 421 stroker motor not to long ago , wicked fast so be careful:)

Nice Mike!!! is that a cub or serval? Money Pits is 100% true!

shortline10
12-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Yes the ones in the picture are Cubs with big bore blaster pistons .
I since changed it over to a Athena big bore set up , guy keeps Mixing the gas incorrect an insist on 50-1 mix ratio lol .

Nice Mike!!! is that a cub or serval? Money Pits is 100% true!

oldskool83
12-14-2015, 01:10 PM
I do like the how the case opens up like a clam shell. BansheeHQ is a hard form to be a member on, everyone yells and said F-off or your a pussy. I try an limit my posting there. Only went on due to some issues.

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Yes the ones in the picture are Cubs with big bore blaster pistons .
I since changed it over to a Athena big bore set up , guy keeps Mixing the gas incorrect an insist on 50-1 mix ratio lol .

50:1...ummmm, yeah, that's a little too lean for my blood.

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 01:24 PM
I do like the how the case opens up like a clam shell. BansheeHQ is a hard form to be a member on, everyone yells and said F-off or your a pussy. I try an limit my posting there. Only went on due to some issues.

Yeah, I created a profile and I just read articles to bring myself up to speed on the do's/dont's. Mosdef a hardcore website and doubt I will be posting much over there. I like the atmosphere here better and guys are just as knowledgeable. Two stroke's a two stroke.

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 01:28 PM
I won't be going hardcore on this one out of the gate. I am just making it reliable right now for Little Sahara this spring and down the road I will add some goodies.

This spring's setup is as follows:
1. Stock stroke (crank welded/trued) and .25 overbore
2. +4 timing advance
3. Updated shift kit (star/shift shaft and spring)
4. Stock Pipes (if I run into some money I may get T-5's or SLP's)
5. .020 Milled head
6. Rebuilt, stock carbs
7. Updated reeds
8. Updated filter
9. Updated Water Impeller
10. Temperature Gauge (I hear these things are notorious for getting uber hot)

Even when it ran like crap it still brought a smile to my face...can't wait to feel it once its running smooth again.

oldskool83
12-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Keep plenty of M6 helicoils on hand. I ran into nearly half dozen holes once reassembling things just never got tight again. Water pump impellor covers are one area. I went with a billet cover on mine.

Mosh
12-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Money pits my ass....I have banshees with 10 years on the top ends and still pushing 135PSI...

I take the old stock filter cage, cut it off and leave that 1/2 ring at the front, buy a K/N clamp on filter, cut a groove in the front of the plate about 1/8th deep with a dremmel, and use a car gas tank sending unit 3/16ths rubber O-ring with weatherstrip adhesive, to glue into into the groove I cut...Then drill 2 holes in the plate and front of the airbox, and clamp it all together. Do all mine that way.. Costs like 25$ including the new filter..Never get dirt in. Also, take that front airbox adapter with the 2 snouts held on by those six screws and take it apart..Peel those chincy rubber seals (if it has em even) out, and RTV that groove real good and reassemble or the air filter set-up does nothing for dirt...

Look at the DMC 916s..Dont let the internet forums preaching Toomey this and that sway you over....

Why you got her down, do the clutch pressure plate bearing upgrade..Totally worth it....And Barnett Dirt Digger clutches are the way to go....

Also run vacuum tees off your carb vents..Vent one hose down off each side of each carb, and run 2 long ones up off each carb to under the seat. When you cross creeks, those vents draw so much vacuum when you hammer it, it will actually suck water up those hoses into the carbs..

also search my threads (never lose your seat bushings again...) or you will, then the seat rubs the frames up front and tears the vinyl..

Better attack the swingarm pivots now, drill ( 2-) 1/8th inch holes in the swinger bolt near each end of the bolt where it rides on the pivot tube, then put zerk fittings in the end of the swinger bolt...Keep grease in there every few rides and they will not seize as easy..Also dump that ghetto front chain roller and get a UPP slide set..

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks Rob...I totally forgot that you are a Banshee nut. I may pick your brain down the road on some ideas and thanks for the tips.

For the "clutch pressure plate bearing upgrade" are you referring to the newer "pancake bearing" that everyone refers to?

I have not seen many opinions on the DMC 916's....everyone is hot on CPI, Shearer or T-5. Are the 916's a low to mid pipe and 2 into 1, correct?

shortline10
12-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Money pits my ass....I have banshees with 10 years on the top ends and still pushing 135PSI...

When I was referring to money pits I wasn't talking about top end rebuilds or motor issues lol , the banshee in the picture I posted has 12 grand plus into it and he will never see even half of that back if he ever decided to sell .

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 06:17 PM
When I was referring to money pits I wasn't talking about top end rebuilds or motor issues lol , the banshee in the picture I posted has 12 grand plus into it and he will never see even half of that back if he ever decided to sell .

holy...yeah, don't think mine will ever have that kind of money into it.

Mosh
12-14-2015, 06:53 PM
The DmC 916s are a full twin system that use one silencer but still full twins. They say the DMC aliens are the same, with just 2 silencers, however I cannot comment on that as personal experience.
They have great all around power with a midrange that builds dramatically and pulls out nice on the top end. I run stock pilots with 280 mains with that setup. I also am a avid supporter of motofast 2-1 pipes but you will top out at 65 mph and they run hotter than with duals. However they have monster bottom end torque and sound friggin insane. I always run a 12 tooth front sprocket with stock rear gearing. You lose some top end but if you want a good trail quad those setups are bullet proof, reliable and really work well all around. Most people think banshee and they gotta make it run 85mph...I guess thats fine for dunes and dragging, but mine are trail setups.

Another note, where the shifter passes thru the plastic side cover, that bushing gets worn and causes repeat shift shaft seal failure and leaks. Check it real good , but if you keep blowing those seals replace that stator cover. Also, seal that crap out of that stator cover. Rtv both sides of the rubber gasket, and pull that stator wires and grommet out, RTV the grommet boss and lip seal and tape that harness all the way up to the plug at the air box. I have seen several occasions where just washing them lets water run into the harness and fill up the stator cover, and even seen one freeze in the winter and locked the flywheel solid in a block of ice..

And yes the pancake bearing mod.

Mosh
12-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Here are some pics of the vent tube mods. Just 4 vacumm tees and some vinyl tubing. I drill 4 holes in the lip of the tank cover then route em up there with zip ties.
You can also see my hillbilly prodesign filter setup kind of.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/20151214_175552.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/cosmicquads/media/20151214_175552.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/20151214_175726.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/cosmicquads/media/20151214_175726.jpg.html)

Mosh
12-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Here are some 12 year old Namura power pistons I pulled out of that same bike due to a head gasket that blew and I let it sit for a year before I fixed finally rebuilt that 10 year old top end. All the experts over at that sight hate em..say they are junk and shatter...hmm..must have done something wrong to get 10 year on mine.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/20150419_141323.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/cosmicquads/media/20150419_141323.jpg.html)

yaegerb
12-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Pictures are worth a thousand words. I didn't quite understand what you meant by the carb hoses, but I get it now. Trick idea! thanks for the tip on the shift shaft bushing. I will likely go ahead and order another one if I can and not take a chance. I ordered every other seal and bearing so might as well get that one too. It's funny that you have 10 years on Namura pistons. That's a bad word on the "other" site. I will have to look harder at those Pistons because they are a great deal compared to the wiseco prolites.

Mosh
12-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Go with the Wisecos. They rev quicker and really you cant beat their quality. The namuras will make it punchier coming in the midrange, but they are heavier, and I don't know if they use the same quality/casting material as they did 12 years ago.

oscarmayer
12-17-2015, 11:30 AM
We run full race motors and do a 40:1 mix. Would never run 50:1. I do not know any national level racers that run that lean. So that should tell you something. Leanest I seen is 42:1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldskool83
12-18-2015, 02:26 PM
I had ran 40:1 maxima in mine before it lost spark. I'll prob do this T mod also. Mine has no lines on it. I'm redoing all carb hoses with clear now. Yay for drag harness...mucho spark lol!

oldskool83
12-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Any update on your banshee project?

I got mine all back together again. My reeds were not sealing and found out shop who I had do the work will I was limited on space and time used 2 gasket on carb bowls! If there is one thing I've learned people do funny things to toys you always will learn something new someone though was "OK" to do.

MOSH, I tried to PM you but no option. I am thinking about the head milling for woods riding but not sure how to tell if it has been modified or not...I'd think after 20 years someone had to be in the engine at least once.

I need to change a clutch gasket soon so I figured I'd do this at that time but not sure how to tell. I have a stock head.

Mosh
12-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Stock heads with wiseco or stock pistons on tight rings will have around 120-127 PSI compression....010 shaved head will put you at about 135 PSI assuming you are at around 600ft sea level. That has been my observation. IMO they run best at 135PSI

yaegerb
12-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Nothing significant. I got my cylinders back from Jeff at FAST racing. He also put new bearings on my crank and welded/trued it. I have the lower cases back together now and have ungraded the shift shaft, shift star and clutch plates. I have also added an adjustable timing plate and took the motor to +4 advance. Also, I am sending the head out to Jeff for a .030 mill. Apparently a head mill and a + 4 advance really wakes a stocker up.

Motor should be back together by mid to end of January.

oldskool83
12-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I ride between 700-1000ft.

yaegerb
01-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Motor is about wrapped up for now. I got the crank rebuilt/trued, cylinders bored, pro-lite wiseco's, adjustable timing plate (currently set to +4), HD clutch plates/fibers/springs, upgraded/rebuilt water pump, shift shaft/star mod, milled head .030, new shift forks and every bearing/seal was replaced...whew...I said don't time me....LOL. Progress pics below.

With any luck I will have her locked and loaded this weekend.

oldskool83
01-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Nice. My head it at mull engineering getting their treatment then I am back together for a 9th time it seems.

cr480r
01-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Funnest banshee I have ridden had stock jugs, rejected stock carbs with tors elim, .030 cut head. and used FMF pipes. It wasn't the fastest banshee I have ridden... Far from it actually.. But I could use every ounce of the fat midrange power and ride awesome wheelies thru the gears.. Great throttle connectivity.. Great all around bike that would still pull dead even with a fully built trx480 at the time. IMO T5 toomeys and cpi on mild builds are soggy with a late hard hit and are the ultimate design for burning your legs...They are stronger for drag racing, but not as enjoyable IMO.

yaegerb
01-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Funnest banshee I have ridden had stock jugs, rejected stock carbs with tors elim, .030 cut head. and used FMF pipes. It wasn't the fastest banshee I have ridden... Far from it actually.. But I could use every ounce of the fat midrange power and ride awesome wheelies thru the gears.. Great throttle connectivity.. Great all around bike that would still pull dead even with a fully built trx480 at the time. IMO T5 toomeys and cpi on mild builds are soggy with a late hard hit and are the ultimate design for burning your legs...They are stronger for drag racing, but not as enjoyable IMO.

Agreed and have heard similar comments.....Mostly stock banshees with a few mods that just flat out run. Supposedly the +4 advance is the best "bang for the buck" you can do to a banshee since Yamaha severely retarded them from the factory.

I like to do a ton of research on every aspect of a bike I am not familiar with. I was going to go with T-5's, but once Mosh mentioned the 916's I started researching those. DMC has started a limited production run back up and I am saving my pennies for a set. From what I can tell they are the meanest damn pipe low-mid and OK on top. I will do more trail riding than sand dragging so DMC 916, here I come. For those of you that have never heard the DMC 916's on a banshee, take a look on youtube. Their sound makes me :drool:

For right now I am repacking the FMF SST pipes my bike came with, blasting them and painting them black.

oscarmayer
01-28-2016, 12:25 PM
actually I would look at Vortec pistons. They are top notch!

yaegerb
01-28-2016, 08:29 PM
you got a shee glamy?

yaegerb
01-28-2016, 09:41 PM
I`ve been a shee junkie for a long time .......the only quad i`ll ride !

Oooooo, me likey! What mods on that pretty lady?

yaegerb
01-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Lets see nothing major 2nd over stock mid-range port , v-force 3`s , intake`s , 36 PWK`s , no box (it never rains) PTR`s , Marvin Shaw`s all around , +8 swinger nothing it won`t do in big dunes ......she don`t turn so tight but you don`t need to cause it`s wide open out here ! I know you`re gonna love it ......after 2nd gear things get burry very quickly !! Don`t be afraid of 50:1 after you break in thick she`ll scream ! I ran this one @ 50:i MC-1 and VP 114 from day one and she`s 4th over one bottom end .

Thanks for the advice! I want to make it out to your neck of the woods someday!

yaegerb
02-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Made my personal commitment to have the motor back in the frame by end of January.

Pressure tested Friday night. Held 6PSI for 7min, I am very happy with that result. Pics of my pressure testing kit below.

Got the motor in the frame Saturday afternoon. She's locked and loaded.

Now I have the rear end out and replacing the carrier bearings.

yaegerb
02-01-2016, 09:39 PM
She`ll be ready for the Invasion for sure ! Oh there filming for the next Star Wars at the dunes right now !

Hey glamy, question. Did you keep the stock swinger or did you upgrade to a round house?

oldskool83
02-02-2016, 10:39 AM
The eccentric ones are nice. I have a plus 2 on mine, Honda style. If you put 200x hubs on your banshee axle you will gain a few inches of width...the 83-85 ones. And if you want 2" wider front end I have some billet wheel spacers off out old raptor 250 used a year sitting around, I got 1" rear spacers for it also. Cheap width if your wanting to keep it simple.

yaegerb
02-02-2016, 11:30 AM
The eccentric ones are nice. I have a plus 2 on mine, Honda style. If you put 200x hubs on your banshee axle you will gain a few inches of width...the 83-85 ones. And if you want 2" wider front end I have some billet wheel spacers off out old raptor 250 used a year sitting around, I got 1" rear spacers for it also. Cheap width if your wanting to keep it simple.

Thanks man. I have been talking to Milner about suspension setups and he got me very interested in a company called metal tech which is close to him in AZ. I will likely go through them for the eccentric swinger and have my rear shock revalved by Milner at the same time. My question is what axle can I use with the eccentric setup? Is it a Honda 250R axle and hardware? I want to get the same setup (LSR) as I have on my 250R.

oldskool83
02-02-2016, 12:27 PM
you use the factory axle. you just buy a eccentric 35mm bearing carrier for the banshee axle. Put it in the swing arm of your choice. I for a plus 2 off ebay for $285 or something there was as ale last summer.

This is what I have and no issues....remember its a trail quad so do not get talked into over prices suspension because its a banshee at the end of day everyday lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANSHEE-YFZ350-AXLE-ROUND-BEARING-CARRIER-35mm-w-Brak-Stay-Set-/261181475598?hash=item3ccfa10b0e:m:ma3QEd8_pMhkP50 ffoL7tow&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-6-Yamaha-BANSHEE-Round-House-Carrier-Swingarm-SkidPlate-Mounts-Black-atv-/370761146566?hash=item56531620c6:m:mk-2dgvMRAMCT8nH2Attn2w&vxp=mtr

get your shock redone and go ride. call it a day after that boss...

Also you will not need an extended brake line if you go to plus 2. I recommend +1, plus 2 is not really needed unless all your doing is hills.

cr480r
02-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Stock length is fine for trails.. I would actually consider a minus 1" if you aren't afraid of traction and the resulting front end loft..:lol:

yaegerb
02-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Worked over the weekend to finish everything up. Got the FMF's blasted and I sprayed them with VHT high temp. May not last long but at least I can touch it up easily. I also repacked the silencers.

Then, I put on my ASV shorty levers, ODI lock on grips and fabricated a mount for my temp sensor. I have heard banshee's are notorious for overheating so I wanted to stay on top of the engine temp.

And finally, I attempted to start on sunday. 15 kicks and no start. Performed a spark test through the plug and the spark was VERY weak and intermittent. I then pulled the boots off of the coil wires and the spark was the same. Well, I ohm'd the primary leads and they were fine and then moved to the secondary and nothing so I just bought a new coil and wires. We will see what happens when I get that in.

In the mean time I am going to double check the CDI and Stator.

oldskool83
02-08-2016, 11:04 PM
told ya...throw your oem wire harness away. Same thing mine did.

Mosh
02-10-2016, 07:47 AM
I have never had issues with the oem wiring system once the tors component's were completely removed. I have seen more key switch and on off switch failures. Coils for that matter rarely fail on a banshee.

However, make sure the pickup trigger on the flywheel is not a rusty pile of smeegle, and make sure the air gap at the trigger pickup to the raised flywheel trigger is set at .017". Too much rust or air gap will cause weak spark.

bkm
02-10-2016, 08:00 AM
I agree with Mosh. It fired before you tore it down and now has weak spark. I would suspect nothing went bad while sitting there, but stranger things have happened.

yaegerb
02-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys. I set the coil gap at .020 (I will try .017) and one thing I forgot to do was file the nubs on the flywheel as they were rusty. I also cleaned all electrical junctions last night and filed the 2 grounds. New coil should be in tonight. I will update with progress as I have it.

As a side note...she looks really bitchin' with the black exhaust. Me Likey

oldskool83
02-10-2016, 02:39 PM
after riding it you may find you hate the skinny pegs. YFZ450R bolt on with light mods...best $15 I spend. 3" wide pegs.

oldskool83
03-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Here's my fuel lines. I put in a new larger petcock and brass fuel filter. Heavy duty clamps will go on on the pipe connections since the ones the guy provided off eBay didn't do crap. Mine get engine ice tonight and fired up tomorrow.

yaegerb
03-14-2016, 09:27 AM
A couple weeks ago I fired the engine for the first time post January rebuild. To my surprise there was an annoying ticking coming from the motor and when I took it for a spin it still had a huge bog (more gas I gave it the more it wanted to die and this was my original problem when I bought it). I took stator and clutch side case halves and all was well. I then pulled my cylinders and found a tiny bit of play in the top conrod bearings.

So I decided to put a new crank in. I went with a HotRods stock stroke crank. I also added a new stator and wiring harness.

After that it was back to cleaning the cases and putting the top end back together with a pressure test. I am happy to say that everything passed and she runs excellent! As BKM has been telling me, the squeeze is worth the juice. I took it out for a spin yesterday and my, my...it is a handful.

This is after I brought it back in for the night and gave it a thorough cleaning.

And this is as of last night. I purchased new wheel bearings and a-arm bushings as I noticed some slop in the front end. Glad I am replacing the bearings. When I took the right side off last night they were crunchy and shot.

I also have a new chain roller/swingarm protector kit coming in from UPP. In conversations with Rob he has been telling me the stockers are junk and I proved that yesterday when my rollers were squalling like a scalded dog during some test runs in front of the house.

That's all for now, but she will be ready to go in a few weeks as I have a april 2-3 trip coming up.

oldskool83
03-14-2016, 10:51 AM
I road mine Saturday 1st time since November after fixing all my issues over winter plus head mods and stuff Mosh said to do. It's go so much snap now I can power slide with he flick of the wrist and no clutch...so much snap it didn't care I was running mud lites and I went into a 360 spin out.

I'm going to the coal hills after this rain ends in about 1.5 weeks.

yaegerb
03-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I road mine Saturday 1st time since November after fixing all my issues over winter plus head mods and stuff Mosh said to do. It's go so much snap now I can power slide with he flick of the wrist and no clutch...so much snap it didn't care I was running mud lites and I went into a 360 spin out.

I'm going to the coal hills after this rain ends in about 1.5 weeks.

Yep, when these things are running correctly, they are a handful. Rob talked me into sticking with the stock pilot and running a 280 main with 1-3/4 turn on the airscrew....I would say its about spot on.

oldskool83
03-14-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm at 280 main and 27.5 polite I think with same setting on a/f screw. It should be now to my kfx700 to shame since the 700 put the banshee to shame before I had to re-fix everything a shop hoses me on.

Mosh
03-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Aint it funny how we can get to the bottom of a carb jetting issue with real world experience, versus internet research theory based on 20,000 lines of text and 76 google searches? Who would have ever thunk it possible?

Simply amazing

yaegerb
03-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Aint it funny how we can get to the bottom of a carb jetting issue with real world experience, versus internet research theory based on 20,000 lines of text and 76 google searches? Who would have ever thunk it possible?

Simply amazing

Kudos to you brother. I really appreciate you taking the time talk with me through my various issues as you have saved me a ton of time trying to figure out different setups. Also, glad to see you posting more around here!

yaegerb
03-15-2016, 01:22 PM
I agree with Mosh. It fired before you tore it down and now has weak spark. I would suspect nothing went bad while sitting there, but stranger things have happened.

Big thanks to you as well Buddy! I appreciate you coming over to the house last week to give me a second opinion on the OEM crank. Hope yours is up and running soon. Need a St. Joe trip!

yaegerb
03-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Banshee is complete for now. Couple things I took care of over the weekend.

Wanted the shee to breathe better so I called Eric at EHS and had him send me over one of his trick air lids. After some surgery with a dremel and file you get something like this.

I then rebuilt my front hubs with a fresh set of all balls bearings. The OEM's were toast!

I also decided to put in some new bushings in the a-arms. It was a messy job but relatively straight forward.

Lastly, I replaced the OEM rollers/chain guides with a UPP setup recommended by Rob and I removed the rear shock and roughly tuned the rear suspension to support my fat arse. Still isn't 100% so when I save up some money I will be talking to milner.

The front end is super tight now and no sqeaks anywhere on the bike. I will be getting some new tires on it pretty soon and I will post up some pics when I get them on.

Test n' tune ride in 2 weeks! Com'on Bryan, spring is almost here buddy!

yaegerb
03-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Oh it's most definitely love. Once I had all the bugs worked out shee's mean as hell and stole my heart.

Mosh
03-21-2016, 07:50 PM
Far as I am concerned only 3 atvs matter in the universe. .

Waterpumper 2 stroke trikes, banshees and trx 250rs

yaegerb
03-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Far as I am concerned only 3 atvs matter in the universe. .

Waterpumper 2 stroke trikes, banshees and trx 250rs

Amen brother!

oldskool83
03-22-2016, 08:06 AM
no quadzilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or TRX500R lol

yaegerb
04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Headed out Friday morning for a full weekend of riding. Thought I would take some glamour pics before I left and it got all dirty.

This banshee is a handful. My riding partner has a trail tech Vapor on his raptor and we logged over 101 miles with top speeds in excess of 76MPH on gravel roads. On Saturday we tried out a new riding park with nothing but straight up hill climbs over very technical terrain. The shee handled those with ease. My only complaint is that the motor tends to get a little hot if putting around on trails. It is definitely happier ballz out in 6th on dirt roads.

I also got a package in yesterday. Found a used set of Works TRS front shocks that will be sent to Milner in a few weeks for some love and I also got a set of Roll Design +2/+1 a-arms (also need to be rebuilt). Once I get everything rebuilt I will make an update to this thread.

yaegerb
04-04-2016, 12:09 PM
I know right ? Ya gotta air it out ! ......just don`t let your 250r get too lonesome or jealous !

I will be taking her (250R) out in a couple weeks for a "spring cleaning" as well.

oldskool83
04-04-2016, 08:18 PM
One mod you should invest in is an antivibe steering stem. The riding position is so much nicer with a Plus 2 stem on these things and some nice 1-1/8 bars

yaegerb
04-04-2016, 08:30 PM
One mod you should invest in is an antivibe steering stem. The riding position is so much nicer with a Plus 2 stem on these things and some nice 1-1/8 bars

I am trying to locate a puck stabilizer rather than a stick. I know about Scott's and a couple others but I need to auction a kidney for one of those.

Been trying to contact this guy with no luck as of yet. Wondering if he can do one for a banshee. My buddy has one on his raptor and it's a quality unit for 1/2 the big name price.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFZ-450-CCP-steering-stabilizer-damper-/291724703003?nav=SEARCH

onformula1
04-05-2016, 02:00 AM
I have a Scott's and they are Awesome!, but I wonder- how bad are these??? Custom bracket will need to be fabbed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Steering-Damper-Stabilizer/111568572212?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D36331%26meid%3D2aee92a1affc4f588c04e1878140 cd7c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1214 05844859

yaegerb
04-05-2016, 09:09 AM
I have a Scott's and they are Awesome!, but I wonder- how bad are these??? Custom bracket will need to be fabbed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Steering-Damper-Stabilizer/111568572212?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D36331%26meid%3D2aee92a1affc4f588c04e1878140 cd7c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1214 05844859

Thanks for the link Milner...I will do some investigation!

onformula1
04-05-2016, 03:39 PM
I hear the parts swap internally like the the seals and such, if that is true they it could be upgraded in the future.

I know the bolt pattern is the same.

You can also find used Scott's on EBAY, the street bike models are usually much cheaper they are a little firmer but I can tell you how to revalve them. LOL

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

atc007
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM

That kinda looks like you might be getting what you pay for? I have a Scotts off a LTR if anyone wants to try to fab it on.

oldskool83
04-06-2016, 10:33 AM
I ride nothing but rocks and never felt i needed a steering stabilizer, the anti-vibe steering them provides better steering over stock and stock bars just vibrating and bending. Plus is cheaper then a stablizer lol.

yaegerb
04-06-2016, 11:03 AM
I ride nothing but rocks and never felt i needed a steering stabilizer

Maybe I am getting old.....

Shocks going to Milner this week. We have devised a good plan and they will look pretty trick when done.

oldskool83
04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I think mine are all power coated red from my 350x swap I stole them off. lol

yaegerb
04-06-2016, 11:44 AM
I think mine are all power coated red from my 350x swap I stole them off. lol

350x swap? You put a 350x shock on the rear of the banshee?

oldskool83
04-06-2016, 12:39 PM
No i put banshee shocks on every 300ex/250x I had a 250x with a 350x motor with 400ex arms and banshee shocks before i built the banshee so I used what I had KB5 redid my rear banshee shock, HRE did all my powder coating.

yaegerb
08-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Phase 2 underway, or as I like to call it, "Phase Broke". Here are a couple pictures of improvements I have done and will add a few more on Friday. I scored some old school AC pro pegs and the seller misrepresented them on EBAY. Had to completely re-work and weld them then off to powder. Then I "had" to put on the Scott's Stabilizer and its the last Banshee mount that Scott's had. They won't be making anymore so I thought that was neat. Lastly I wanted a wider stance, so I opted for the Dominator II RPM. This thing is unbelievable.....no wonder they have a lifetime warranty, its never gonna bend/break. I also added front and rear stainless steel brake lines which have helped significantly on the single piston stopping power. Since the front is a "T" line fitting, I cut all the old, outdated lines out and installed a dual line setup from the master. Stopping power has been significantly increased.

I have a few more items to add and will be uploading more pics on Friday. Stay tuned.

oldskool83
08-30-2017, 09:06 PM
I did alot if the same mods on mine. Looks like you don't ride it or you clean it up all day Sunday lol. I'm redoing my vtwin kfx700 to due frame all breaking appart. Do you like the machine for your riding style? I'm in love with my 660r and it's going under the knife in winter for 11:1 piston on 673 bore and stage 1HC with porting to clean up cast marks. Also doing +5 swinger for the big steep hills. It handles funny on those vertical walls at the top yet. Yfz450r front mastercycler really help the banshees stop and feels good on your hand. Enjoy it.

yaegerb
08-30-2017, 09:32 PM
I did alot if the same mods on mine. Looks like you don't ride it or you clean it up all day Sunday lol. I'm redoing my vtwin kfx700 to due frame all breaking appart. Do you like the machine for your riding style? I'm in love with my 660r and it's going under the knife in winter for 11:1 piston on 673 bore and stage 1HC with porting to clean up cast marks. Also doing +5 swinger for the big steep hills. It handles funny on those vertical walls at the top yet. Yfz450r front mastercycler really help the banshees stop and feels good on your hand. Enjoy it.

To be honest this Saturday will be the first time I have ridden it since last winter. Been slowly putting all of those parts on it. The last of the parts comes in tomorrow. So I will be updating the thread again soon. And yeah, it's always washed after I ride. The Missouri soil is acidic and if you don't wash it the soil will permanently stain your plastics and other components.

oldskool83
08-30-2017, 10:44 PM
My mint 660 aged badly in 1season. Hill climbing and coal and 4-5 rolls / flips. Still 100% straight

atc007
08-31-2017, 06:47 AM
Outstanding work. That is gonna be fun !

yaegerb
11-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Well, I lied on my last post. The last pieces I got ended up being wrong and I went through hell and back to get it all re worked. Took it out for a ride last weekend and shee didn’t disappoint.

As a recap for this phase. +4 RPM dominator II, SS brakelines, Scott stabilizer, AC nerf bars, PEP custom front shocks and LOBO II Roll design a arms.

Next I will be working on updating the rear of the bike and then we gonna get nuts with some motor mods.....stay tuned.....

shortline10
11-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Very nice !!!!