PDA

View Full Version : ATC200X westcoast swinger

RUNMEDOWN
12-14-2015, 08:16 PM
3wheeler.org on FB has a guy selling a westcoast (looks like the HD not the light) for atc200x for $275 with link. Thought about it, I dont need it now, I will need it after it sells.

RUNMEDOWN
12-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Well heck, just bought it. Is there anything I need to know about these? it is a +2 so I am not sure if the stock shock will work, the seller said the shock link (separate small chunk of aluminum)had a small crack that had been professionally welded. Should this be a concern? Again, this will not be a beat trike, it will be babied but I want it to bullet proof. Should I use the westcoast link to copy and have a Billet piece made? (I overthink almost everything so if this is dumb just tell me).

yaegerb
12-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Well heck, just bought it. Is there anything I need to know about these? it is a +2 so I am not sure if the stock shock will work, the seller said the shock link (separate small chunk of aluminum)had a small crack that had been professionally welded. Should this be a concern? Again, this will not be a beat trike, it will be babied but I want it to bullet proof. Should I use the westcoast link to copy and have a Billet piece made? (I overthink almost everything so if this is dumb just tell me).

Yep, weak point was the POS aluminum westcoast shock linkage. Even if its been welded the mounting holes are typically wallowed out from years of abuse. Why they made the HD version with an aluminum link baffles me.

Anyway, its pricey, but you can call HRE and they will make you a new link for that HD swinger. They should still have the template from mine. If he doesn't just send him your link. if I remember correctly it was 160.00

shortline10
12-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Maybe HRE will give us a break if we buy 2 lol , I need a new link as well . Lmk

RUNMEDOWN
12-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Yep, weak point was the POS aluminum westcoast shock linkage. Even if its been welded the mounting holes are typically wallowed out from years of abuse. Why they made the HD version with an aluminum link baffles me.

Anyway, its pricey, but you can call HRE and they will make you a new link for that HD swinger. They should still have the template from mine. If he doesn't just send him your link. if I remember correctly it was 160.00

Great. When it gets here I will inspect the bolt holes. Without seeing it I am already thinking of drilling them out and press fitting some stainless steel spacers in. Guess I will wait and see.

oldskool83
12-19-2015, 10:24 PM
west coast arms are so think walled might as well run stock. HRE will make a good arm. I would never spend money on old 3wheeler arms, cheaper to buy new and have it done right the 1st time

HRE all day everyday. I got a garage full of his crap and my own shelf at the shop lol

atc12
12-20-2015, 03:40 AM
west coast arms are so think walled might as well run stock. HRE will make a good arm. I would never spend money on old 3wheeler arms, cheaper to buy new and have it done right the 1st time

HRE all day everyday. I got a garage full of his crap and my own shelf at the shop lol

Westcoast arms are hardly equal to stock and a sweet upgrade over any stock arm. The spacers sound like a good idea imo.

oldskool83
12-21-2015, 12:06 PM
run a new arm and you will see the difference lol.

yaegerb
12-21-2015, 02:40 PM
run a new arm and you will see the difference lol.

Gotta remember man...

1. Not everyone has HRE in their backyard
2. I can assure you a west coast, dico, sandscorcher, etc aftermarket arm will kick the crap out of a stock arm in strength and quality.
3. Not everyone has 500-1K to spend on a swingarm.
4. You can buy a westcoast and sell it for the same amount or more due to nostalgia.

To the OP, did you get the swingarm yet? Curious of the shape the link is in.

RUNMEDOWN
12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
To the OP, did you get the swingarm yet? Curious of the shape the link is in.

Not yet; it shipped today. I will post pics when it gets here. I will have it next to my restored stock swinger (I restored mine before I realized I "Needed" the Westcoast one.

oldskool83
12-21-2015, 04:49 PM
So anyone in so-cal can only buy FMF pipes in person? Any why do think his arms are $500-1000K? Why do you think you need to live only 30 mins from him to buy his parts.

Ever hear of a website, phone number or email address. Assumptions make you look like a fool man. Asking questions is 100% of the game

information@hreatv.com

Matt85'350x
12-21-2015, 05:10 PM
So anyone in so-cal can only buy FMF pipes in person? Any why do think his arms are $500-1000K? Why do you think you need to live only 30 mins from him to buy his parts.

Ever hear of a website, phone number or email address. Assumptions make you look like a fool man. Asking questions is 100% of the game

information@hreatv.com

Well oldfool83 here's a link to the prices on hre's website: http://www.hreatv.com/prices.html. Every swing arm listed is at least $520.

oldskool83
12-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Yep and does it say anything about 200x? nope! Again assumption.

yaegerb
12-21-2015, 05:50 PM

information@hreatv.com

Alright, let's not start mudslinging. I am just saying I know you know Mike pretty well, so likely you get a discount and that is awesome. Wish I knew someone like that.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/164607-200x?highlight=HRE+200x

"I know HRE for many years now so my prices might differ from people not knowing him or having access to the shop"

Thus my comment of having HRE in your backyard. I know an electrician that gives me one hell of a deal too because I have known him for 35 years.

I understand that you can't give prices out, but basic logic would tell me if my little link cost 160.00 I don't think an "average joe" who goes into his shop off the street would be able to walk out with a 4130 chromoly swinger for under 500 bucks.

Not saying its not worth it. His stuff is amazing and top quality!

RUNMEDOWN
12-21-2015, 06:24 PM
I like the HRE stuff, but I just am building a retro-racer type trike that I wish I had back in the day using the old Retro-cool parts.

atc12
12-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Old parts on old trikes is a cool thing and i would gladly run that westcoast over any stock or hre arm. Post some pics when you get that westcoast on the atc. I guess we should all toss the calfabs and westcoast arms in the trash and rush to hre.

captainweezy
12-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Different strokes for different strokers. I personally love the old aftermarket parts especially the old swingers on X's and R's.

atc300r
12-22-2015, 08:11 AM
I have an old school DG swingarm its well built and a lot lighter than a stocker. Its also a plus 2. The shock mounts like the 83 200x linkles. I love the look of a refurbished westcoast in white and blue.225312 225313

oldskool83
12-22-2015, 09:55 AM
The problem I seen with people buying these old used arms is they are beat, needing work or super mint. Until you have all the work fixed, new powder coating and bearings you would be well into a new replicate arm or new style arm.

That is what I am saying. I see trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro being sent over all the time to HRE to be fixed when it would of been easier to just make a new "copy"

Yes vintage parts are cool but they also bring vintage prices to make them nice again.

atc12
12-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Let me just say I did pay to have one blasted and powder coated white. The work was so poor that i now need to have it blasted again and i wasted my money the first time trusting a guy i don't know. It does get expensive when some companies only do good work for locals or people they know. You seem to miss the point here and most old trikes are beat too... Should we all rush out and get a new raptor? Ever here the term ''era correct''?

atc300r
12-22-2015, 11:39 AM
The DG I posted above I paid $35 shipped plus a liquid R inner hub that I had gotten for free. I got the swingarm that's in excellent shape with the axle ,hubs, rear shock setup for the longer swingarm, pivot bolt and nut, chain adjusters and rear sprocket all in excellent shape. Im going to run it the way it is with an oldschool Durablue 82 250r axle. Im not realy into powdercoating my trikes no offence to anyone that does.I ride and race my trikes. Some day I might refurbish a couple of them.

oldskool83
12-22-2015, 11:39 AM
That's why I just redo stuff and build new parts. Almost everything stock get thrown out or sold off cheap.

I'm saying your prob gonna have more into that arm them getting a new one with bushing any length you want and powder coat. Being cheap is never cheap and costs more then cheap. lol.

Powdercoating is so easy and cheap is a joke these days. I do not even clean parts anymore, blast and coat and done. Go ride in the coal roads and its never nice again and IDK.

atc12
12-22-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm glad powder is so easy. Guess who did it... And if a guy puts more cash into a vintage part how is that cheap

oldskool83
12-22-2015, 11:54 AM
It's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knappyfeet
12-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Old parts on old trikes is a cool thing and i would gladly run that westcoast over any stock or hre arm. Post some pics when you get that westcoast on the atc. I guess we should all toss the calfabs and westcoast arms in the trash and rush to hre.

X2

There's nothing like vintage stuff on vintage stuff. Sometimes your into an older part for more $$ but that's the cost of admission.

Still new stuff totally has its place

atc12
12-22-2015, 06:27 PM
It's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats wonderful? And you call others a fool...

onformula1
12-23-2015, 12:53 AM
I have an old school DG swingarm its well built and a lot lighter than a stocker. Its also a plus 2. The shock mounts like the 83 200x linkles. I love the look of a refurbished westcoast in white and blue.225312 225313

Sick, arm man, I love it.

I love vintage stuff, much better than the new stuff, I can imagine a set of 8 paddle gliders hooked to that arm, duning with the Bro's vintage style.

onformula1
12-23-2015, 01:02 AM
I wish we could put up a poll- I bet any vintage swingarm would beat any new swingarm arm 10 to 1.

(I have nothing against HRE or any other new swingarm manufacturer, but this forum has always had a deep respect for the vintage stuff)

Which basically means we search way too long for stuff, overpay for stuff, then spend more making it look like 1985, some by stuff for trikes they don't even own then start a build around it. :lol:...Just like me.

I just recently bought 11 rare vintage items for a 200X and haven't owned one for 17 years... And I am a 2 stroke guy! :lol:

Anyone have a Westcoast cracked in half??? I will take it.

atc300r
12-23-2015, 08:14 AM
I raced mx on the 200x at Airmx Save the Tatas race in October I had a blast. The trike handled the track well in stock form. Next year I want to mate the DG swingarm to an 83-84 rear shock and either 84 or 85 250r front forks.