PDA

View Full Version : 250es no lights, electric start?

Ididthatwell
12-26-2015, 09:52 AM
I have a 1985 250es big red, it will kick start first try but I can't use electric start and have no lights at all. No neutral or reverse, headlight, taillight? The controls on the left handlebars seem to be frozen as well. The choke will not slide to the left at all and the run/ stop button will not slide stuck in run position. Any ideas, suggestions, place to start lol ? Thanks guys

wellys88
12-26-2015, 11:07 PM
hows the battery and connections, cross the solenoid with a screwdriver and see does it turn over the starter

Ididthatwell
12-27-2015, 08:16 PM
The battery is new and connections look good. I crossed the solenoid and yes it turned the starter. I did find out that if I play with the key the neutral light and the revers light will come on but have to jiggle and turn it off and on a bit. There are 2 brass? Nubs on the right side of the bike one is N and the other is R. The R is hanging off, so going to get a connector for it and reattach. The controls on the left hand brake seem to be bad, the start stop switch is completely seized up. If you just downshift it automatically goes into reverse, I don't really like that.

wellys88
12-28-2015, 05:37 AM
That is the neutral switch it they are not connected the big will not start unless you ground out the wire

tri again
12-30-2015, 04:06 PM
They also have an odd fuse in a plastic box.
Looks like a mini end wrench held in with screw.

try search key for 250 es fuse.
There may be an extra fuse in that little black box too.
I changed mine to a regular car fuse with waterproof case.

Ididthatwell
01-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Yeah that fuse was in place but very brittle, it broke when I touched it. I have some on order, I also rigged up car fuse temporarily. I want to make sure that nobody has mixed the wiring up on the solenoid. The red positive going to the battery should be connected to the yellow wire on the solenoid and the negative to the green wire on solenoid Is that correct?

Ididthatwell
01-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Ok, so I got the correct fuses in today installed it, hooked up the reverse and neutral wire on right side of bike. Got some electronics cleaner and cleaned the connections. Turned the key on and neutral and reverse light are now working. Took apart the left hand controls and jumped the electric start wires together and it fired right up, so very happy. I have new controls on order once they get here everything should be working just as it did when it was new. My only other problem is when you down shift it goes right into reverse and I don't like that is that something a previous owner did by adjusting the cable to tight maybe? Would like to fix it back to original state. Any suggestions?

Ididthatwell
01-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Got the left hand controls in yesterday, installed them and electric start fires the bike right up. Thanks for the help guys.