PDA

View Full Version : 225dx

plumbercustoms
12-28-2015, 01:09 PM
hi all i just got a 225 dx. read some posts that a blaster mono shock would bolt right on to the rear. was just wondering what year blaster shock will fit before i order one on ebay thanks!??

DohcBikes
12-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Any year blaster shock will work just buy the nicest one or the one that has the color spring you like. Be aware that it will drop the rear an inch which will affect the handling, however the blaster spring is much more forgiving and you will gain approx. .75inches of travel in the rear which is a god send on the dx

plumbercustoms
12-28-2015, 10:58 PM
okay thanks!

YamaBoss
12-28-2015, 11:59 PM
You better wait on that. DOHC, Have you ever done it? Mine dropped well over an inch. I had a blaster shock on mine and it was not rideable. You lose every bit of clearance. It bolts in just fine but the back fenders will be touching the tires. The only thing is to make a new shock mount to make up for the inch and a half difference in the shock length.

DohcBikes
12-29-2015, 12:05 AM
LOL. Yep I've done it. I run 20 inch tires.

If the ride height is too low a simple lift clevis can be utilized to regain clearance for balloon tires. The fact remains that the coil is better suited for most riders and the blaster shock offers more travel.

In addition to the drop that I clearly mentioned although it May be more than I remember because things don't stay stock long around me, one of the main reasons a stock dx will rub fender with balloon tires is that the blaster shock is dual rate and has a much lower initial rate than the linear rate of the stock dx spring. When given ample room to operate it is a significant upgrade.

YamaBoss
12-29-2015, 12:19 AM

Here is a picture of a DX shock vs the Blaster shock. Smaller tires would make a difference. I would love to see a picture of yours with the 20 inch tires on it. With larger tires and a blaster shock they look terrible.

DohcBikes
12-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Sorry, not going to share pics of that bike.

Yet.

I will say though somehow your blaster shock looks shorter than mine. Must be an optical illusion.

Again it is very simple to regain the clearance with a clevis if desired, but personally I like the new swingarm angle for several reasons and I do not require a ton of ground clearance either.

YamaBoss
12-29-2015, 12:32 AM
I was told newer blasters had longer shocks. Maybe that is part of the issue.

DohcBikes
12-29-2015, 12:33 AM
Now that may be something I have been misinformed on then because I only own one and was told they were all the same. I think my shock came from a 2000. If we can determine the info it will be something I am happy to relearn. I am away from the shop but will measure mine eye to eye when I return in the next day or 2.

YamaBoss
12-29-2015, 01:53 AM
Mine was from a 88 I believe

jerkin
12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Blaster rear shocks were all 15". The blaster shock is not very good quality, I don't even think they are rebuildable. Not sure if it would work on the 225 but a popular upgrade for the blaster is to install a 400ex shock. They are 1/2" longer (which would solve one of the problems mentioned here), have a piggy back reservoir and are completely adjustable (compression and rebound). All that is needed to fit one to a blaster is to drill out the bottom hole and get a set of bushings for the top hole which this guy sells for $20. http://www.kenoconnorracing.com./Blaster%20Links.html Might be worth looking into.

DohcBikes
12-29-2015, 04:42 PM
I forgot about that option, good info to add there. Although the question was regarding a bolt on. Again the blaster shock works perfectly for my particular application as a direct bolt on. The are rebuildable if you have the skills and knowledge that some of us have.

jerkin
12-30-2015, 12:25 PM
You must have some serious skills and knowledge then because I just got off the phone with the owner of Pro-Action Suspension and he told me they are not rebuildable. The caps are welded on and cannot be removed. I was pretty sure they weren't but didn't want to pass bad information without double checking it. I suppose if someone were desperate enough to save a $10 shock it may be possible to cut it apart and mig it back together, lol.

OP, in addition to the 400ex shock the guy that makes those bushings claims they can be used to adapt a z400 and 250R shock to the blaster, no telling how those would work with a 225 though. I know the z400 shock is the same length as the 400ex (15.5") but I believe it is a little wider at the bottom. Another thing to consider is how it may fit with the piggyback reservoir, you would need additional room up top for clearance. The 250R shock has a remote reservoir but I believe they are longer also (at least the trx's are, not sure about the atc's)

DohcBikes
12-30-2015, 01:08 PM
You must have some serious skills and knowledge then because I just got off the phone with the owner of Pro-Action Suspension and he told me they are not rebuildable. The caps are welded on and cannot be removed. I was pretty sure they weren't but didn't want to pass bad information without double checking it. I suppose if someone were desperate enough to save a $10 shock it may be possible to cut it apart and mig it back together, lol.
LOL.

They can be rebuilt.

bkm
12-30-2015, 03:04 PM
LOL.

They can be rebuilt.
How about a tutorial for us?

DohcBikes
12-30-2015, 03:31 PM
"How about a tutorial for us?"

bkm
12-30-2015, 03:48 PM
I've always heard they were either non rebuildable or not worth doing. I'd love to see that myth debunked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DohcBikes
12-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Is any shock worth rebuilding? They can be rebuilt, revalved, resprung, and modified to take a nitrogen fill or even a remote rezzy. Just like damn near every other "non-rebuildable" shock can. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

bkm
12-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Oh I see. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jerkin
12-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Is any shock worth rebuilding? They can be rebuilt, revalved, resprung, and modified to take a nitrogen fill or even a remote rezzy. Just like damn near every other "non-rebuildable" shock can. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

Yes, any shock that is made to be rebuilt and comes apart in 5 minutes may be worth rebuilding. Seriously, I want to know, how are you going to rebuild a shock that doesn't come apart without cutting/welding it? Please explain how you take these apart and put them back together. Why would it be "worth it" as you say when you can pick up a rebuildable shock with a reservoir and compression and rebound adjustments off another bike for $40 and rebuild it cheap?

DohcBikes
01-01-2016, 12:44 AM
I don't particularly like you or your attitude so I have no motivation to explain anything to you. Best not think too deeply on this one.

jerkin
01-01-2016, 01:45 AM
That's what I thought.

DohcBikes
01-01-2016, 02:06 AM
haha!!!!!! you can't do it but I can hahahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!

laeger_250r
01-02-2016, 12:03 PM
I was told newer blasters had longer shocks. Maybe that is part of the issue.

All blaster shocks are same length from my experience

plumbercustoms
01-03-2016, 12:23 AM
so does anyone have experience with whats involved in fitting a 200x front end on a 225dx?

DohcBikes
01-03-2016, 07:34 AM
I hesitate to say yes for fear that some pompous newb will attempt to discredit my claim.

jerkin
01-03-2016, 12:34 PM
I hesitate to say yes for fear that some pompous newb will attempt to discredit my claim.

Yeah, I could claim to be Bill Ballance too and probably be just about as truthful as your statement of being able to rebuild a blaster shock.

DohcBikes
01-03-2016, 01:34 PM
probablyHmmm, maybe?

YamaBoss
01-03-2016, 11:03 PM

Sure hope this isn't directed at me