PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum, Gas Tank Question

CAJUNCANNON03
12-28-2015, 08:24 PM
What is the best product to use to strip and line inside of metal fuel tank, and how to avoid plugging petcock hole.

Thanks

RUNMEDOWN
12-28-2015, 08:32 PM
new petcock = $8 on 3bay, fill with apple cider vinegar, let sit for a week, rinse real well with De-ionized water and baking soda. Rust gone.

EDIT: that was for a rusty tank, not sure about the coating after, few things on the market to do that someone will jump in with them, but it's Ford and Chevy, some like one and hate the other. I have no reason to think either would not work.

DohcBikes
12-28-2015, 08:47 PM
The best liner is none.

Jmoozy27
12-28-2015, 09:28 PM
I've used redkote on a few tanks. You have to do it right or it will never dry. Less is more but you wanna make sure you put enough to completely cover the inside. Once it's dry, you will never have to coat it again. It's sold at oreilly for like $40.

DohcBikes
12-28-2015, 10:09 PM
I've used redkote on a few tanks.....................Once it's dry, you will never have to coat it again.This is 100% false.

The only way to repair metal is with metal. Every other repair is temporary.

If the only reason you are coating it is to prevent rust, that can easily be accomplished with proper maintenance. If you are attempting to repair a leaking tank, brazing or soldering is the proper way.

CAJUNCANNON03
12-28-2015, 10:15 PM
No metal damage, no leaks. Just some surface rust on inside, left empty and moisture accumulated. Just want to stop cancer.

DohcBikes
12-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I can assure you a liner won't do that, but proper maintenance will.

Jmoozy27
12-28-2015, 11:32 PM
This is 100% false.

The only way to repair metal is with metal. Every other repair is temporary.

If the only reason you are coating it is to prevent rust, that can easily be accomplished with proper maintenance. If you are attempting to repair a leaking tank, brazing or soldering is the proper way.

I have coated motorcycle, atv, automotive fuel tanks with redkote and had good results so it's 100% true on my end. OP asked about coating the tank not repairing it.

DohcBikes
12-28-2015, 11:49 PM
You clearly implied that tank liner is a permanent fix which is completely false for anyone.

In addition, for you to assume the entire post was for you is a bit self important if you ask me, and furthermore, at your age how could you possibly know what lasts forever?

I cordially invite you to dig your heels in on the point.

Liner ruins tanks. I curse the person that lined every tank I have ever had to UN-LINE and correctly repair

Jmoozy27
12-29-2015, 12:57 AM
You clearly implied that tank liner is a permanent fix which is completely false for anyone.

In addition, for you to assume the entire post was for you is a bit self important if you ask me, and furthermore, at your age how could you possibly know what lasts forever?

I cordially invite you to dig your heels in on the point.

Liner ruins tanks. I curse the person that lined every tank I have ever had to UN-LINE and correctly repair

It may ruin a good tank, but in my case it took tanks that were no longer usable and allowed me to use them effectively for far longer than I needed.

Ten years ago, I bought my grandpas '89 izuzu trooper which had sat up with no gas in it for quite some time. After dropping the tank to change the fuel pump I realized that there was a 1/2" of rust scale on the walls. After an acid wash and a quart of redkote I was suprised that the truck even started. It lived up to its name for 8 years and never had any fuel issues. I sold it 2 years ago so I cannot speak on what shape it's in today. I would bet money that if it isn't running that roads it's not because of the tank.

Cajuncannon03- I would advise that if the tank isn't rusted that bad, do not coat it. Run a decent inline filter and keep the tank full of non ethanol fuel. If you do decide to coat it, try to get as much of the rust out as possible. I would not use any store bought tank coating other than redkote. Kream is junk, if you use it, you will surely be stripping it out later.

DohcBikes
12-29-2015, 02:02 AM
It may ruin a good tank

I agree.

in my case it took tanks that were no longer usable and allowed me to use them effectively for far longer than I needed. When something is no longer usable it should be discarded. If it can be repaired, it should be repaired correctly.

Ten years ago, I bought my grandpas '89 izuzu trooper which had sat up with no gas in it for quite some time. After dropping the tank to change the fuel pump I realized that there was a 1/2" of rust scale on the walls. After an acid wash and a quart of redkote I was suprised that the truck even started.!/2" of rust scale, lol. Ok.

Why were you surprised that it started? You didnt say the engine was blown? Does it run on redkote or something? Very interesting.

It lived up to its name for 8 years and never had any fuel issues.Its name is redkote. Now, aside from the funky spelling, all the name claims is that it will 'kote' your tank red. and unless you 'koted' your fuel pump as well, I don't see why you would have any fuel issues in a tank that draws fuel from the top.

I sold it 2 years ago so I cannot speak on what shape it's in today.

Oh. Ok.

I would bet money that if it isn't running that roads it's not because of the tank.By god, then I'm sold.

do not coat it. Super advice.

Run a decent inline filter and keep the tank full of non ethanol fuel. Ecxellent, getting better all the time.

If you do decide to coat it, try to get as much of the rust out as possible. Almost had it there.

I would not use any store bought tank coating Ok, there we go, bring it back now.

Kream is junk, Yes,

if you use it, you will surely be stripping it out later.Yes!!

So glad we could come to an agreement.

What exactly is it that you think this liner will do? Stop rust? it won't. The only thing that stops rust is maintenance.

Jmoozy27
12-29-2015, 11:17 AM
I agree.

When something is no longer usable it should be discarded. If it can be repaired, it should be repaired correctly.

!/2" of rust scale, lol. Ok.

Why were you surprised that it started? You didnt say the engine was blown? Does it run on redkote or something? Very interesting.

Its name is redkote. Now, aside from the funky spelling, all the name claims is that it will 'kote' your tank red. and unless you 'koted' your fuel pump as well, I don't see why you would have any fuel issues in a tank that draws fuel from the top.

Oh. Ok.

By god, then I'm sold.

Super advice.

Ecxellent, getting better all the time.

Almost had it there.

Ok, there we go, bring it back now.

Yes,

Yes!!

So glad we could come to an agreement.

What exactly is it that you think this liner will do? Stop rust? it won't. The only thing that stops rust is maintenance.

It's so much fun having someone to debate with and your very good at it. Good with a keyboard too. Way more patient than I am with breaking down the posts.

Rust scale- sorry, it's an oilfield term. I guess I should've added that out of the countless tanks I have cleaned most of them exceed 1000 bbl capacity.

Living up to its name- I was talking about the izuzu 'trooper'

Good talk