PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating my 250sx rims

J trike
01-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking of powder coating the rims on my '85 250 sx I bought just last month.
My question I guess is first all I assume powder coat paint is the way to go?
Second, do I simply bring my wheels to our local tire shop to remove them from the rims or is this something I can easily do without damaging the rim?

Thirdly, is there a paint code or paint type specific to these rims?
And do they still make and sell new tires anymore?

Last, I'm new to the forum and haven't figured out how to get my pic. In the avatar ( think that's the name) like the others have lol

Thx

josh383
01-02-2016, 10:34 PM
I'm Going to be having my wheels powder coated soon too, I know it's very durable and should hold up well on rims. I don't know about the factory colors though...it probably would be worth it to take em to a shop with a tire machine and just have em popped off if they've been on a few years, sometimes they can be a booger to break loose after being mounted for years.
For the avatar pic go to settings right up top of the page next to log out, you'll see it in there, took me a while to find it myself.

J trike
01-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Found it! Thanks:lock:

350for350
01-02-2016, 11:30 PM
I bought a cheap bead breaker from Harbor Freight so I can break down my own tires. I do my own tires. To me, the hardest part is breaking the beads loose. Of course I used to work at a tire shop where I fixed everything from tires on a hand cart to farm and road construction equipment so you may have a different opinion that I do.

86125m
01-02-2016, 11:37 PM
I prefer this paint to powder coat on my rims http://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-hwp101?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAiAh560BRDu-aD93r-J_zoSJACrxZG2wRznEcMzdoZM7tuZuf9tPKbXngJBDV6zlLJFC 14tJxoCSmXw_wcB. It is really durable and it is almost perfect match for honda cloud silver which is the original color for your rims.

wonderboy
01-03-2016, 12:48 AM
The 250SX beads seem to be the hardest to break down in my experiences (200ES, 350x, 200S). I've tried the HF bead breaker and it wouldn't touch the 250SX beads (bent the handle on the bead breaker). If you find a tire shop that knows what they are doing, they can break them, but find a shop that has done ATV wheels before. I break my own down now with the original Honda bead breaker seen in the manual. However, there is a really nice compact tool called a beadbuster that uses the same concept as the OEM tool (leadscrew instead of a lever):

https://beadbuster.com/product/beadbuster-xb-450/

With regard to the powder coating: make sure the powder coater is very careful not to build up too much material in the bead area, specifically on the hump the bead has to get over in order to seat. I powder coated mine but built up too much material and could not get the bead to seat. I aborted the attempt, and cleaned up and removed some of the powder coat from the hump and was able to get the bead to seat.

The max pressure to seat the beads on the OEM 250SX tire is around 35 or 40 PSI. Don't go beyond that or you could at best permanently stretch the tire, worst it could let go.