PDA

View Full Version : Log trucks

cr480r
01-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Any log truck owner/operators in here? Always hear the the classic tales of "No money in it" or " There are cheaper ways to go broke" or "Just drive for someone else". Yet I see many O/O buying newer trucks and/or expanding their fleets.. Just wondering what a typical yearly income would be with no catastraphic breakdowns and only typical maintenance costs.

hoosierlogger
01-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Our log trucks are company owned. I'll tell you this, log trucks get abused. Our fleet of 5 Petes are 5 years old and one is broke down almost every week. 500,000 miles is the average on them and they costing the company a lot of money on upkeep. They are subjected to a lot of twisting and torquing on the frames from driving thru ditches and such. If I were to buy a $100,000 truck I damn sure wouldn't haul logs with it.

cr480r
01-05-2016, 08:27 PM
If I were to buy a $100,000 truck I damn sure wouldn't haul logs with it.

If I were to do it I would be spending in the 25-40k range for a used rig initially. I would do my own maintenance and repairs. I realize off road driving is rough on equipment, I drive to all the same landings with my current job. I love being in the woods, and straight highway driving does not appeal to me. The log haulers I know just complain about the work and repairs.. Yet they keep doin it, and they are tight lipped about their income except for being "broke". They all seem to live as well or better than I do... Just curious

KASEY
01-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I DID IT FOR A WHILE,, that's past tense man,,, to many variables to going broke ,, and WAY TO many hours if you counted all the hours spent verses the money made after repairs , fuel , insurance ,, blah blah ,,, nope not worth it,,,,

RIDE-RED 250r
01-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I know a few loggers and tree service people...

You guys might appreciate this, even though it might not exactly answer your question. Enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOU8AInQmIQ

cr480r
01-06-2016, 09:59 PM
You guys might appreciate this, even though it might not exactly answer your question. Enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOU8AInQmIQ

:lol:

I DID IT FOR A WHILE,, that's past tense man,,, to many variables to going broke ,, and WAY TO many hours if you counted all the hours spent verses the money made after repairs , fuel , insurance ,, blah blah ,,, nope not worth it,,,,

What is hard to find work? What is a typical annual income? 50 or 60k might be worth it to me, 30k would not.

wellys88
01-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Our log trucks are company owned. I'll tell you this, log trucks get abused. Our fleet of 5 Petes are 5 years old and one is broke down almost every week. 500,000 miles is the average on them and they costing the company a lot of money on upkeep. They are subjected to a lot of twisting and torquing on the frames from driving thru ditches and such. If I were to buy a $100,000 truck I damn sure wouldn't haul logs with it.

your problem right there is Petes, junk as far as of road trucking goes. need something with a strong frame, like a westernstar

hoosierlogger
01-10-2016, 09:05 PM
We had all macks before. Then a Pete salesman stopped by the shop and talked to the bean counters promising exaggerated fuel mileage. That was the reason for them to switch I think.

shovelryder
01-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Talk to any owner operator in a big truck and they'll tell ya to drive someone else's. They stay in it cause most are upside down and can't get out. It's good when it's good, but can go bad in a hurry. In a company rig you'll get paid when ya break down and can put someone else's fuel money in.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Talk to any owner operator in a big truck and they'll tell ya to drive someone else's. They stay in it cause most are upside down and can't get out. It's good when it's good, but can go bad in a hurry. In a company rig you'll get paid when ya break down and can put someone else's fuel money in.

True words right there.

I have 10 years of big-riggin under my belt. My dream when I turned 21 was to get enough driving experience to buy my own truck and make a go of it... Then I had conversations with alot of owner-ops out there on the road and not a single one recommended I follow in their footsteps, and they had figures to back up their claims. This was back in 1999 when fuel was under $1 per gallon.

I drove for a very good company for almost 8 years. I was paid well and treated well. It was all the other BS that was really getting to me. Now I have a job at my town highway department where I just got my bid on a regular plow run with a 10-wheeler. I get to operate heavy equipment and do a wide variety of jobs from driving/operating to mechanical and basic fabricating to tree work in a bucket truck and everything in between. It's not all gravy, and some jobs suck, but it's that variety that keeps things interesting and keeps my mind busy learning new things. Just passed my 2 year anniversary at the highway department and I still get up in the morning looking forward to going to work. I could not say that about my job before, not even close.

Sorry for the long post... Just a round about way of telling you that I was once looking at making a go with my own rig and as it turned out, it wasn't the best thing for me. Maybe it's just the thing for you and if so, give er hell and best of luck! :beer