PDA

View Full Version : 83 185s Top End Rebuild

LegendaryTriker
01-08-2016, 11:44 PM
I have A 185s engine that runs, drive through all 5 gears no ticking sounds, but smokes worse then anything i ever seen, if you were to ride it for 15 minutes, stop and check the oil you have almost no oil left in it.

So i was wondering how hard it was to put a new piston and rings in it, I can do a 2 stroke top end rebuild, but never done a 4 stroke. Is it worth it ?

NOTE: No I did Not Buy that junky thing, lol i pieced it together with parts i had.

DohcBikes
01-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Cant understand why they still use a dished piston. A honda 200 series trike top end can be built for about $150

LegendaryTriker
01-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Worth it, as in having something that is dependable and doesn't leave your clothes smelling like hydrocarbons after riding it?

You can do it cheap and dirty for maybe less than $150 if you just buy a new piston kit with rings and a gasket, and have the cylinder bored.

An engine that is smoking that bad more than likely needs some other repairs and parts replaced.

Unless it needs the valve guides or rod need replaced, or the valve seats ground, the kit on Ebay is a one stop deal for a thorough top end rebuild.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Atc-185-185S-Big-Bore-Engine-Complete-Top-Rebuild-Kit-Machining-Service-/370734221073?hash=item56517b4711:m:mDBUcdDFOaujfok zrj0nPoA&vxp=mtr

Ship the cylinder with a USPS flat rate medium box, both ways, and the total cost is under $300.

If you do it cheap and nasty, Rite-Way does small engine machine work. They can bore the cylinder. You'll have to know what size piston it'll need, and they'll determine that after checking the cylinder.

Thanks for the info, i might consider rebuilding it some time. But i may not have to, i had another 185s engine i put on it that has no spark, so i ordered a flywheel puller so i can change the primary ignition coil on it. It should run after that. But idk.