PDA

View Full Version : And I walked away… again

El Camexican
01-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Was today a good day or a bad day for me? Each of us can decide that on their , but for me today was a GREAT DAY!

Started off with a cool morning ride up to about 9,000’ of elevation with a new needle jet in my bike. I’ve been looking for the elusive “Goldilocks” needle for a long time. Seems whatever runs decent down here sucks at 8,000 plus ft.

As I was climbing up the last few 100’ feet to the peak I was luging the engine trying to get it to bog while messing with the air screw and it was pulling hard with less than 3 turns out! Finally! So we headed down the mountain for gorditas and coffee.

As we were dressing up to go home I reminded my buddy “Watch out for quads!” as I always do. Then not 5 miles up the road it happened. ..

My buddy was riding to the far right of the washboard road and I was about 15’ back and close to the center of the road. We doing about 50mph uphill coming out of a right-hand sweeper that turned into a 20 yard straight before becoming a left hand sweeper.

I saw the quad coming out of “his” downhill right hand sweeper hot and crossing slightly into our side of the road. My buddy pulled as tight as he could to his right and I hit the binders as hard as I could. For a split second I thought he could get back over onto his side of the road, but before I even released my brakes to enable a direction change his front wheels were aimed to my right, so I decided to fight my instinct and go left.

Bad plan. After he’d flashed his wheels to my right I guess he’d started to tip and decided to go hard left. I waited till the last second and then closed my eyes and did what I’ve always hoped I could do in a head on crash and that was stand up and jump at the moment of impact.

I figure we were both down to about 25 to 30mph when we collided. I guess I closed my eyes as we hit because everything was dark for a while. I really didn’t think I was going to live through this one. I remember thinking heaven was dark (then realizing I might not be in Heaven):eek:

Then I heard someone yelling and opened my eyes and noticed my buddy was about 50 yards up the road and still trying to stop his bike. My next thought was that nothing hurt, followed by wondering if this was even really happening? Then I realized the yelling was behind me and I rolled over and saw the quad on its side and a guy slowly standing up on the other side of it. I got up and we ran towards each other both yelling “estas bien???” to each other. A moment after the euphoria of us both realizing the other was alive and moving I heard the yelling again.

It was his passenger whose leg was pinned under the quad and he was yelling that his arm was broken. We rolled the quad off him and stood him up as the guys in the side by side that were following him arrived. Then my buddy got there and we started to sort out the mess.

My bike was literally hanging from a barbed wire fence some 10’ off the road. It took three of them to pull it out. My upper tree had snapped and my front wheel had bucked under and flattened my pipe. My right side rad was crushed and my clutch master, stabilizer, odometer and bars were all damaged. The quad had a flat tire, bent steering arm, broken gear selector and the thumb throttle lever was snapped off as well as missing plastic.

The guy with the broken bone(s) was put in the side by side and the quad was driven off very slowly by pulling on the throttle cable by hand. I stayed behind alone while my buddy went out to the nearby town to look for someone with a pick-up. He found a guy that was willing to take me to my buddies house for a couple hundred bucks and then they dragged my bike onto my buddies truck (he'd followed us back on the highway on his bike) and then he took me home.

My wife was out with her cousins when I got home (did I mention it was a GREAT DAY?) so we were able to unload and drag the bike down to my shop undetected.:)

I’m sore, really sore, especially right leg and foot. I think my foot may be what broke the guys arm as all the buckles on my right boot blew open and one buckle that I just replaced last night was torn apart.

So, that’s my story for this weekend. When I’m feeling better I’ll have to tear the bike down and try and determine the condition of the forks, wheel and frame. The wheel looks round and I don’t see any obvious signs of fork damage, but I don’t see how I could have snapped the tree and done all that damage to the quad without something bending. Fact is I don't even care. I'm alive with nothing broken and still having trouble believing it, today was a GREAT DAY!!!

Pics are coming..

Jmoozy27
01-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Damn El cammex, glad you made it out of that one!!! Glad your wife didn't get to see the aftermath too. Hope you heal up fast.

shovelryder
01-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Glad yer ok for sure friend!

El Camexican
01-09-2016, 09:57 PM

Reminds me of these guys:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

plastikosmd
01-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Wow, thank god

Also u have a way with words

350xtrike.rider
01-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Wow glad your ok!
Its always scary when something happens and you can't control it.
Just adds to the crazy stories to pass on! Pictures of the bike after a wreck
tell the whole story!

Red Rider
01-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Glad to hear you are okay as well. I can't believe that top tripleclamp. That's crazy!

DohcBikes
01-09-2016, 10:26 PM
And you are always asking me if I'M still alive

6speedthumper
01-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Nuts! A possibility I'm always watching out for. For that reason, I'm glad I always lead. That way it's me and not anyone else that's get hurt. Glad you are here to tell the tale!

Dirtweed
01-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Wow a lucky one for you. Glad you were able to walk away from it. Too bad about the guy with the busted arm though.

beets442
01-10-2016, 01:35 AM
Wow,what a ride.Glad your ok.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Dammit Camexican!

So, what happens now??? Everyone just parts ways, fixes their own machines and calls it a day?

Where we ride in Tug Hill, this scenario is my biggest fear. I'm usually leading and stay as far to the right as I can be on blind hills and curves when the road/trail is narrow. But that's no guarantee that the other guy does though.

manbearpig
01-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Could have been much much worse. glad to hear you were able to walk away.

Scootertrash
01-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Glad you're OK El. I always have this in the back of my head on our trails up here. guys going too fast for the width of the trails, especially when you have side by sides riding the same trails.

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 12:34 PM
So, what happens now??? Everyone just parts ways, fixes their own machines and calls it a day?

I was wondering about that myself. The carnage ended on his side of the road, so if I was picking a guilty party on facts available it would have to be me, but my Mexican buddy assured me that on a #3 road there is no law. I didn't ask for contact info.

atc007
01-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Yeah,yeah,yeah,,,we're only as old as we act he says... This sh!ts gettin old ,,,,,lol,, that bike is trashed. Glad you're ok bud. 9 lives are up,,,,what's next?

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm hurting pretty bad today. Can't bend the right ankle and the legs are cramping up randomly. Bruises are coming out in places that didn't even hurt yesterday. I may have a mild concussion too, but I'm watching for signs and haven't vomited or anything yet, just some mild headache sensations that started yesterday and aren't gone today.

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah,yeah,yeah,,,we're only as old as we act he says... This sh!ts gettin old ,,,,,lol,, that bike is trashed. Glad you're ok bud. 9 lives are up,,,,what's next?

I was busy on ebay last night. Frame, rads, triple tree and rad guards have been ordered. Waiting to inspect forks and wheels. I think I may have a few lives left and I plan to spend them riding:D

DohcBikes
01-10-2016, 12:51 PM
I think I may have a few lives left and I plan to spend them riding:D
Atta boy. The kfx700 crash almost killed me. I was glad it didn't, so now I can keep riding. As far as I'm concerned i'm not really living otherwise.

Do you have v-blocks and a dial indicator to check your forks? I don't see how they could still be straight.

Rest and heal up man, many more rides that need to happen.

Mr. Clean
01-10-2016, 01:46 PM
It could be worse, you could have been running a lathe.

<WARNING>

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41444&hilit=lathe+accident

RIDE-RED 250r
01-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Mr. Clean: I remember stumbling across that story with the associating pics about a year ago.. Makes a person feel so sorry for the poor guy. Nobody ever plans to have an accident. Accidents like this scare the living bejeebers out of me. My Dad was a machinist for 30 years and did alot of his work on a lathe. These machines have no feelings or remorse and won't even slow down if they catch you. Pics like that are difficult to look at, but I believe they effectively serve as a grim reminder to us all how easy it can be for this day to be our last if we get complacent in our day to day activities.

Work safe, take nothing for granted.

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 03:37 PM
It could be worse, you could have been running a lathe.

<WARNING>

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41444&hilit=lathe+accident

I worked lathes for a while, usually just to fill in for absent guys. Worst I saw in person was a broken arm and some lost fingers. My closest call in a shop was with a Hercules rolling machine. It got the cuff of my coveralls and ripped the sleeve right off at the shoulder. Thanks God for low quality stitching:lol:

bkm
01-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Remember, the House eventually wins. Everyone's luck will run out at some point. Glad to hear you're still playing with House money. BTW the Blues beat the Kings last night with 11 shots on goal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dirtweed
01-10-2016, 06:02 PM
That is why I like riding Tall Pines....one way trails.

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 06:56 PM
That is why I like riding Tall Pines....one way trails.

Yea, I need to do more of those.

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Remember, the House eventually wins. Everyone's luck will run out at some point. Glad to hear you're still playing with House money. BTW the Blues beat the Kings last night with 11 shots on goal.

and the Jet's just got beat by the worst team in the league after 40+ shots on them. I may end up having to cheer for the Blue's in the playoffs...

atc007
01-10-2016, 07:13 PM

Pretty simple for me,,,been there done that,,all of it. Have walked away very lucky. Now everytime I ride and start to turn up the wick, I see my Wife,kids and Grandkids at my funeral. I'll never be the rider I was,nor do I have any want too be :) Thanx for that post Mike,,wow, just freaking wow.

El Camexican
01-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Pretty simple for me,,,been there done that,,all of it. Have walked away very lucky. Now everytime I ride and start to turn up the wick, I see my Wife,kids and Grandkids at my funeral. I'll never be the rider I was,nor do I have any want too be :) Thanx for that post Mike,,wow, just freaking wow.

yes, that reality sucks... still, as DOHC said, I really wouldn't be living if I couldn't ride. As someone one said, "I live more in 5 minutes on a sport bike than some people live in a lifetime"

dustrunner
01-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Glad your gonna be ok EL ... Great Attitude you have and yes for sure you need to get back on your horse as soon as you feel up to it ....That's the best medicine .

6speedthumper
01-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Two way trail traffic is by far the most scariest thing about riding. That, and animals darting out in front of you! At Hatfield, it's all two way traffic. Just this last year, I nearly whacked a side X side on a right hand turn. Well, more like he almost whacked me. He was taking up the whole trail! Why? Because his machine is bigger then a damn Jeep! I will admit, I was taking that turn faster then I usually take corners. Have seen way too many yahoos out there that think every trail is their own personal race track. I slow down coming into a turn and will only blast through it once I can see the other side. Everyone else has figured out how I lead, so when I kick the back end out and rip it, they know that it is safe to enjoy the turn far more then I have.

YTZ drew
01-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Just saw this thread. I've been busy and away from the forum for a few days. Glad you're OK Nico! And those lathe pictures... definitely a worse day than what you had! Ick.

Dirtcrasher
01-12-2016, 02:29 PM
WOW, what an impact to break a tripple clamp!!I saw the pipe, that wheel hit that but that fork might be, aok?

Glad your alright buddy!!

El Camexican
01-13-2016, 12:17 AM
WOW, what an impact to break a tripple clamp!!I saw the pipe, that wheel hit that but that fork might be, aok?

Glad your alright buddy!!

Thanks again to all well wishers!

Yea, I'm getting curious about the forks and frame and how they faired. I'll be sure to post the results. I'm very impressed with the GPI rad that was in use for only the second time. It's smashed, but it didn't lose a drop of fluid. The last new factory KTM rad I put on lasted less than a year before it split open without any impact, just opened up about 2" on one of the tubes. I can buy 2 sets of GPI rads for less than one single OEM rad.

ironchop
01-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Glad you`re gonna be ok Nico.

And, yeah lathes are a MotherF@#$%R. My friend and coworker died after being pulled into a lathe in our shop four years ago. They are NO JOKE.

83ATC185
01-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Glad to see you're ok! could've been worse many times over for everyone involved...

This thread has given me a new found respect for machinery.

Very easy to get complacent and careless when you do it everyday. Thanks guys.

El Camexican
03-15-2016, 02:16 AM
My baby's back in one piece:w00t:

The total damage ended up being a triple tree & bearings (the races were dimples from the hit), a stabilizer pin, Trail Tech Viper, pipe and guard, axle, wheel bearings, rad and protector. The rim has a ding, but I was able to true it up. The forks didn't bend at all and the frame seems to be straight. Amazing what the frame and forks stood up to.

22908122908222908322908422908522908622908722908822 9089

onformula1
03-15-2016, 02:31 AM
My baby's back in one piece:w00t:

The total damage ended up being a triple tree & bearings (the races were dimples from the hit), a stabilizer pin, Trail Tech Viper, pipe and guard, axle, wheel bearings, rad and protector. The rim has a ding, but I was able to true it up. The forks didn't bend at all and the frame seems to be straight. Amazing what the frame and forks stood up to.

22908122908222908322908422908522908622908722908822 9089

It makes me wonder what the damage would be with the popular billet triple clamps?

Are you going to blow that dent out of the pipe? :lol:

Very good looking Katoom's, number 13? RJ? A-Rod? (I race that number, nobody ever wanted it.)

El Camexican
03-15-2016, 02:42 AM
It makes me wonder what the damage would be with the popular billet triple clamps?

Are you going to blow that dent out of the pipe? :lol:

Very good looking Katoom's, number 13? RJ? A-Rod? (I race that number, nobody ever wanted it.)

I figure if the trips were stronger the frame or forks would have been damaged. The pipe is now being melted and made into a car. 13 is my lucky number, God only knows what the outcome here would have been if my number was 666, or 46...

onformula1
03-15-2016, 02:47 AM
Me too on the triples, Number of the beast or Angel?, stick with 13.

tripledog
03-15-2016, 10:59 PM
I figure if the trips were stronger the frame or forks would have been damaged. The pipe is now being melted and made into a car. 13 is my lucky number, God only knows what the outcome here would have been if my number was 666, or 46...

If your number was 69, you would have likely experienced a blown rod. Feel free to cyber beotch slap me.

Jd110
03-16-2016, 12:50 AM
This is one of my biggest fears riding on public land. That's why I stay away for the most part. When we do it's slow. I can always hear the ones going fast. If your going fast-watch out. I'm very glad your OK. You seem like a good guy. And I like reading your stories. So write-on....
Great attitude-btw-"it's a great day"

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2016, 02:00 PM
I knew those triples took the big hit and hopefully saved the forks, fortunately!!

It was good to see no blood on your parts either, but how long were you bruised?? :lol:

Glad your ok!! and all is well....

El Camexican
03-16-2016, 07:32 PM
It was good to see no blood on your parts either, but how long were you bruised?? :lol:

The bike is better shape than me:( Hand, right hip knee and ankle as well as the lower back are still healing. I polished a rim the other night for about 4 hours and could hardly walk or use my right hand the next morning. A good ride is still weeks away.

El Camexican
04-17-2016, 03:27 PM
My buddies finally talked me into testing my bike and body today.

I fired it up on the 3rd kick yesterday with 13 week old fuel in it and went for a rip around the block. Everything seemed nice and straight so I pulled my gear out (forgot to wash it after the wreak), put 6 liters of fresh fuel on top of the 3 or 4 old liters in the bike and headed out this morning.

All was fine for about 30 minutes when I started descending down a steep hill with lots of vertical steps. The kind you basically roll down with the clutch in and just use the rear brake to keep from obtaining warp speed in a heartbeat.

Half way down I stalled. No big deal, clicked it into 2nd and tried to bump start it off the next drop. It fired for a split second and died again. Tried again, nothing. Rolled to the bottom of the hill and started trying to kick start it. It lite up for a second after a few kicks and died. Kicked my brains out, nothing. Waited 10 minutes, kicked it, fired and stalled.

Sent a buddy back to the truck for a tow rope and had him pull me back through the mountains. Thank God this happened in a relatively flat area.

So back at the truck I dumped the float bowl and it smelt odd. I could see a water bubble in the drain nut, but nothing major. With the carb dry I set the petcock to reserve an dlet a 1/2 liter drain onto the ground before putting the line back on the carb.

Fired on the first kick, ran 2 seconds and died. I pulled the plug and it was soaked, so I put a new one in. Fired on the first kick, ran 2 seconds and died.

So at this point I'm thinking the crankcase is full of crappy fuel, but how that could happen after running great for 30 minutes is beyond me.:wondering I don't see how it could be electrical, but I guess I can't rule anything out yet.

Good news is that the frame and forks are straight:)

Red Rider
04-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Way to get back up on the horse there cowboy! Glad you got the chassis all straightened out, but now the fun part, diagnosing your new mechanical anomoly.

atc007
04-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Spark or water in the gas :) Glad you made out fairly well .

El Camexican
04-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Spark or water in the gas :) Glad you made out fairly well .

Water. Just got it running. :w00t:

bkm
04-18-2016, 01:56 AM
My 250r ran like crap during the entire 2014 race season. I literally changed everything except the cylinder and piston. Turns out the gas station where I bought my race gas was selling watered down 110. I discovered it by pure accident. I was filling the tank one day and it spilled on the tank. The water beaded up on the tank like a freshly waxed car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

El Camexican
04-18-2016, 08:55 AM
My 250r ran like crap during the entire 2014 race season. I literally changed everything except the cylinder and piston. Turns out the gas station where I bought my race gas was selling watered down 110. I discovered it by pure accident. I was filling the tank one day and it spilled on the tank. The water beaded up on the tank like a freshly waxed car.

The storage tanks at the station closest to us as a kid had water leaking into them, so a small shot of methyl hydrate in each tank was the norm. Car, truck, snowmobile whatever. I should start doing that again down here as well. Towing in the mountains is not fun. Had this happened 5 minutes earlier a helicopter would have been needed to extract the bike.

Thorpe
04-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Nasty pile up El! Glad you are getting back on your feet!

El Camexican
04-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Nasty pile up El! Glad you are getting back on your feet!

Glad you're ok too buddy.:beer