PDA

View Full Version : Stuck silencer

Silver Bullet I
01-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Any ideas about pulling apart a fmf silencer from a 250r that's frozen together. I have no idea how long it's been since the silencer packing has been changed. I put a lot of liquid wrench around it and letting it sit til morning. Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Rob

yaegerb
01-10-2016, 12:23 AM
You mean pulling the silencer off of the expansion chamber....where they join together? Or are you talking about removing the core from the silencer?

Silver Bullet I
01-10-2016, 02:07 AM
You mean pulling the silencer off of the expansion chamber....where they join together? Or are you talking about removing the core from the silencer?

Removing the core from the silencer

yaegerb
01-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Those can be a pain if not regularly serviced, plus they usually have rtv or some bonding agent sealing the core to the silencer body. Put the silencer in a vice with soft jaws or rags and heat the crap out of the end while trying to pull out the core with some needle nose pliers. It will come out with some patience.

Silver Bullet I
01-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Those can be a pain if not regularly serviced, plus they usually have rtv or some bonding agent sealing the core to the silencer body. Put the silencer in a vice with soft jaws or rags and heat the crap out of the end while trying to pull out the core with some needle nose pliers. It will come out with some patience.

That worked out great thanks!

yaegerb
01-10-2016, 07:45 PM
No worries, anytime. Don't forget to re-seal the core cap to the body with some high temp rtv.