PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200m troubleshooting help

bearkat
01-10-2016, 01:34 AM
I have a 84 200m that I got when I was a kid. I let it set up for several years and now trying to get it going again. I replaced the original carb with a new one off ebay. It started up and purred like a kitten, so I replaced tires a and new battery and everything worked. We rode it for 2 days with no problems. Then my son was riding it and it lost power and would not climb a hill. It idles fine but when you give it gas it starts to spit and sputter and smoke as if choking. I got it home and cleaned carb 3 times and filters think that was problem. Still doing. Reset valves same thing. Ordered new card thinking first one was bad. Same thing. Put mystery oil in plug and worked in thinking stuck valve. Same thing. I idles find but cuts out and starts smoking at 1/4 thottle. I doesn't die just doesn't have power and runs rough. I also checked compression and it was 130 but the gauge was the rubber type not the screw in type so I figured it could be off the 10-20 psi. I have tested everything I know. Could it be electrical? What and how to test? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

bearkat
01-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Ttt

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

johnnytrikes
01-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like your timing isn't advancing

bearkat
01-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Sounds to me like your timing isn't advancing
How do I check that? I assumed if timing was off it would run rough during idle alsi and would backfire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

johnnytrikes
01-10-2016, 12:03 PM
I haven't owned a 200' but I did have exact same problem with a 185. It was in the stator assembly . I'm sure someone on here can better describe this but there are are a couple small springs in there that allowing the pickup coil to advance as rpm goes up. They could be sticking and that is why it idles great but as rpm goes up you start loosing spark... just my two cents

bearkat
01-10-2016, 02:15 PM
I haven't owned a 200' but I did have exact same problem with a 185. It was in the stator assembly . I'm sure someone on here can better describe this but there are are a couple small springs in there that allowing the pickup coil to advance as rpm goes up. They could be sticking and that is why it idles great but as rpm goes up you start loosing spark... just my two cents
I was wondering about the stator but don't know how to test it.

johnnytrikes
01-10-2016, 02:24 PM
I would just pull the cover and have a look inside. If it sat for a long time there could be a lot of corrosion in there. Make sure e everything is clean and moving free then go from there.

bearkat
01-10-2016, 05:47 PM
I cut off end of plug wire and replaced end and it didn't helped. Traced down most of wire and it looks good except I can't tell where ground connects. Shouldn't it connect to frame somewhere?

bearkat
01-10-2016, 05:48 PM
I can get up to about half speed before it starts spitting,losing power and starts to smoke.