PDA

View Full Version : Trade Scrambler 500 for 350x??

Haggs
01-13-2016, 12:00 PM
My question is exactly that, I have a 2002 Scrambler 500 4x4, and was thinking about trading for a 350x. Never ridden one before (I have ridden other trikes, just not a 350) but there is something about them that just keeps drawing me to them. Is it worth it? I ride almost exclusively trails, mostly new england style that has everything from mud to rocks to straightaways etc. It wouldn't be my primary, more of a "fun for dad" toy. Thoughts??

Matt85'350x
01-13-2016, 01:01 PM
IMO your scrambler is more capable in the mud but the 350x is definitely more fun. You'd also give up the convenience of the electric start and reverse. Has anyone offered you a 350x for it? It would definitely depend on the 350x whether it was worth it or not. I wouldn't trade my x for a scrambler but you could put yours out there and see what offers come in.

hatc200x1
01-13-2016, 01:05 PM
I would easily trade for a 350x depending on the condition. If you can try and get an 86 350x because they had less frame problems than the 85's... The 350x is real torquey and has plush suspension to soak up the rocks and bumps out on the trail. Besides for frame issues the 350x is a real solid trike, especially for a trail rider.

Haggs
01-13-2016, 01:54 PM
No one has offered yet, just toying with the idea of putting it out there. I've done tons of research on the 350's, and they seem to be in the top tier for ultimate trail machines. The Scrambler is as well. I'm just looking for a bit more of a challenge myself. Scrambler is pretty much point and go, no real thought behind it. 350x seems like it takes more effort to ride.

DohcBikes
01-13-2016, 02:52 PM
A polaris leaves and a honda arrives? Yea. There's no way to lose there.

BANSHEE CHAOS
01-14-2016, 01:06 AM
That's possibly one of the most sensible, fair trade I've ever heard of. Depending on condition of plastic, engine, rubber... And I suppose distance would come into play as far as "sensible" is concerned.

f76
01-15-2016, 02:47 AM
I did the exact trade you speak of. I traded a 1999 scrambler 500 4x4 for a 85 350x in fair condition and 84 250r in okay shape that needed some assembly.
I still have my 2000 scrambler and enjoy having it around. You'll like the 350x just as much if not more. In my opinion, I would keep the scrambler if possible and purchase a 350x when you have the funds.

Haggs
01-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. What about a 250r or 200x? I ride exclusively trails, a lot of techincal stuff more than wide open areas (although there are some). I've read the 250r is decent for trails but not its forte', and that the 200x is great for trails but might be small (I'm 6' 225lbs) I definitely am looking for a 350x, but if a really nice one of the other two is an option I don't want to turn it down if it would be worth it.

BANSHEE CHAOS
01-15-2016, 11:43 AM
I'd say either X over the R for trails... Unless the R has been trail ported and built accordingly. Fouling a plug and discovering your ratchet has jumped outta your back pocket 7 miles from another human.... BUT! The R in a heartbeat if the motors built accordingly. My Banshee is trail ported. I can putt around all day for a month on it. I assume a Honda can too.

Haggs
02-07-2016, 09:03 PM
So I have an offer for an original 1986 250sx for my scrambler. Looks to be in great shape and the owner says it needs nothing. I keep reading about how awesome the sx's are (Inhad a BR 250es that was great but maybe not the best for long trail rides) so was wondering everyones opinion. Worth the trade? Good on the trails (all the trails I ride are rocky, muddy, woodsy etc)? Thanks!

BANSHEE CHAOS
02-10-2016, 01:38 AM
The SX just ain't the same category of fun machine. Its 2/3 big red and 1/3 200Xish...
Of course that is 100% indisputable fact there! ��

ps2fixer
02-11-2016, 12:42 AM
I was just going to mention the 250sx when I saw you had an offer of one. The 250sx has good and bad. I'd say it has around the 200x performance (a good deal more than the 250es due to less weight), but miles behind the 250r/350x for straight trail speed. I had a 250es, 250sx, and 350x at trike fest which is mud, tech trails, and a little bit of open areas to open them up some, and overall the 250sx was my fav. The 350x wasn't far behind, I'd almost say they tie, but a auto clutch on some of them hills makes them a bit easier to work with, while the manual clutching gets tiresome and the machine pretty much just wants to go, not that it can't putt around, just it doesn't do the greatest for stop/go putting. It was pretty extreme conditions, anything easier/simpler I'd say the 350x wins hands down.

Couple of points about the sx though... it's heart is a big red, so not exactly the most performance engine, but can wheelie just fine and do pretty much what ever you want it to do. It has smaller tires than the 250es (22in vs 25in), but the final gearing (engine rpm vs travel speed) is the same. It is something like 100 pounds lighter than the 250es which makes it seem more powerful, but the suspension is stiff, or atleast all of the 250sx machines I have rode were stiff. Swapping out the shock probably isn't hard to do to get a softer ride. One of the big perks about the machine though... super super reliable just like the big red. Shaft drive makes it not care much about mud and gas/oil is the main maintenance you need to do. They do have a "problem" with the axles leaking, but that is more due to ages rather than bad design, taking it apart and resealing the axle tubes is a good idea if you will be mudding often. Swing arm bearings (special spanner wrench required) and front wheel bearings wouldn't be a bad thing to tackle early before they get bad. Rear axle bearings generally only go bad if the seals go bad, if you disassemble to re seal the tubes, throw in the bearings too. Rear diff is rebuild-able, but requires a special tool, kb0nly offers a rebuild service and does top notch work, he also does carb rebuilds.

To answer the orig question... if I had the option I'd personally go for the 350x, even the 250sx. I'm not a huge ATV Polaris fan though so I'm probably a bit biased. Figure out what the machines value and compare the values. A nice 250sx in my area runs $1000, is your Polaris worth more? If so SELL it, then buy the sx and keep the extra money. The 350x ranges around $1000-2000 in my area, about the same as the 3rd gen 250r, and the 250es run $1000-1500. Value drops fairly quick if the machines are "ugly", broken plastics and such.

Here is a $265 "non running" 350x vs $1500 (he wanted a jeep and I only paid $1000 for it, but the listing was $1500 if paid with cash). Neither machine was perfect, the nice one needed the timing chain done and fix a sticky clutch (ribbed clutch basket).