PDA

View Full Version : Top end rebuild kits for 85 250r

Fluffdaddy846
01-18-2016, 11:26 PM
I just bought an 85 250r the other day, it's all stock and runs fine but it has never had a rebuild on it. I've never done a rebuild on any machine and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to a good rebuild kit for my 250r. A buddy of mine told me I'd need top end gaskets and piston rings but I have no idea what exactly to get. My cousin told me to buy a vesrah kit. Will some one give me a link to exactly what I need it would be much appreciated thank you.

John Tice
01-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Fluff; If you’ve got good cranking compression, maybe you should leave the engine alone until it needs attention.

First thing, tear it down & have a competent machinist measure the bore & skirt clearance. A competent machinist will use micrometers & a dial bore gauge. Next you will at least need a glaze breaking hone job with a good cross hatch for a good ring break in.
There are “Egg Beater” hones & there are quality cylinder hones. I prefer the Sunnen brand of hones & hone heads for all of our equipment. The quality of tools used is a good indication of the dedication & knowledge of the machinist doing your work.

Take a look at “How it’s Done” & you will pick up a few more ideas.

John Tice
503-593-2908 Alternate 541-508-3944
www.smallenginemachineworks.com & www.nwsleeve.com
Turning Custom Cylinder Sleeves Since 1971

DohcBikes
01-19-2016, 12:30 PM
If it aint broke dont fix it.