PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x upgrade option opinions

dsprad26
01-19-2016, 02:05 PM
I have an 85 200x that I absolutely love but would like a little more power and maybe some better handling/suspension characteristics out of. I have already installed a wiesco 10.25 to 1 piston, K&N filter and jet kit in it, exhaust coming soon, upgraded and custom ground kickstart gears and some lower profile rear tires. Its all original down to having the original tires on it when I purchased it, plastic in amazing shape other than a few nics in the seat cover, soon to be replaced. I'm preparing to tear it completely down and powder coat everything and make a few other modifications. My question is, I'm thinking of going with the XR200 camshaft, RCM exhaust and heavy duty clutch and springs in the motor. Any other inexpensive engine mods recommended that would provide a little more pep. Don't want to go to crazy both for budget reasons as well as I don't want to effect reliability. I also would like to massage the suspension to make aggressive riding a little more pleasurable and widen the rear a little bit. I have read a bunch of ideas on hear on these topics but am having trouble making a decisions on which to go with. Let me know what you have tried or seen, and what you think of the expense verse improvement so maybe I can weed out some of the ideas I have been struggling with. Thank you in advance.

DohcBikes
01-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Sounds like you might be ready for a 350x.

oldskool83
01-19-2016, 02:17 PM
350x...no mater what you do to a 200x is not gonna have the power ya need. I had one built up nice and well I sold it because a 125 2 stroke was still more powerfull. You could swap in a different motor but by the time you do all that work if you do not have parts laying around a nice freshened up 350x will suit you fine I bet. I like the 350x power I just never liked the 350X's tall ness.

dsprad26
01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
I love the 350X for sure, I owned a very nice one back in the ninety's and still wish to this day I would have never let it go, but, I have a modified YFZ450 that is pretty nasty if I feel like a huge surge of adrenaline. My intentions with the 200X is just simply having a fun little trail bike to play around with around the house. I know its never going to be a powerhouse but its a bike I plan to keep around for years to come and have a lot of fun with so I'm just looking to wake it up a little bit.

DohcBikes
01-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Then your quest for reliable power is pretty much over with what you listed. The x motor was no slouch for a small cc 4 stroke when stock. Any more mods and you'll start wishing you had your old reliable x back.

Enjoy.

f76
01-19-2016, 08:54 PM
I agree with DOHCbikes on the motor work. To widen the rear end, get some 300ex, 400ex, or 450r rear hubs. Slide right on, same bolt pattern as 200x wheels (4x110mm) and adds a couple inches. Otherwise be prepared to dish out big bucks to durablue for an extended axle or finding a used one if you're lucky.
Talk to member oneformula about suspension upgrades, I've heard many great things about his knowledge and work.

dsprad26
01-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Awesome f76, that's the kind of advice I was hoping for, I had read some about the 400x hub swap but was unsure if my rims would fit, I knew lug spacing was the same but was concerned about the center hole being right. I will take you're advice on the suspension as well and contact oneformula. As far the engine mods, I plan on going to a XR200 camshaft and carb modification. Was just looking for some advice in that area as well if there is any necessary. Its pretty snappy now (for a 200cc) with just what I have done, so I'm thinking a little bit with the cam and carb will be all it takes to increase the fun on this bike. I don't have time to ride much anyway so it won't take much to satisfy me.