PDA

View Full Version : My Mustang, Comments ?

LegendaryTriker
02-02-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm bored so I decided to post a couple pictures of my Fox Body Mustang
( Idk if I am allowed to make Non Atv posts or not )
( 227220227221Sorry for all the junk in the background )

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

bkm
02-02-2016, 09:05 PM
I've owned 6 of them over the years and would love to have another some day. They are getting pretty pricey around me though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chopsaw
02-02-2016, 09:31 PM
I've had a few 60's era Ford muscle cars . Never gave the "newer" mustangs any credit . Until I bought one . '92 GT conv. 5 speed . One of the strongest running all stock cars I have ever had . Never should have sold it .

NeverLift
02-02-2016, 09:39 PM
I've always loved that body. Looks great in white.

LegendaryTriker
02-02-2016, 11:00 PM
I've had a few 60's era Ford muscle cars . Never gave the "newer" mustangs any credit . Until I bought one . '92 GT conv. 5 speed . One of the strongest running all stock cars I have ever had . Never should have sold it .
Yeah they are great cars. Too bad you sold it. I am going to get mine fixed up, repainted and put a shift kit in the transmission ( unfortunately its an automatic )

El Camexican
02-02-2016, 11:45 PM
I remember my buddy's Black 1987GT "last year of the Mustang,! Get yours before it's too late!" :lol:

That thing would pull my T/A out of the hole by a solid 2 lengths every time... then I'd have the pleasure of watching the dejected look on his face as I'd pass and leave him for dead at 70mph. Fun times those were...

LegendaryTriker
02-03-2016, 01:13 AM
Rollin' in my 5.0
With my ragtop down so my hair can blow
The girlies on standby, waving just to say, "Hi!"
Did you stop? No, I just drove by
Lol

shovelryder
02-03-2016, 07:17 AM
I had a notchback LX with a manual and a 5.0..........Had to get rid of it when I went to Somalia.....That car was too much of a troublemaker.

YTZ drew
02-05-2016, 11:36 PM
I've had a few fox bodies, and loved them. An 81 hatch, an 84gt turbo, and a 90 hatch. Someday I'd like another one. I have a freshly rebuilt 351C that I'd like to put to good use.

That thing would pull my T/A out of the hole by a solid 2 lengths every time... then I'd have the pleasure of watching the dejected look on his face as I'd pass and leave him for dead at 70mph. FunI have some friends that had the same two cars, with the exact same results. Fox had the TA off the line every time then ran out of steam.

atc007
02-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Unless the TA had the 5.7 :)

El Camexican
02-06-2016, 12:05 AM
Unless the TA had the 5.7 :)

My T/A had a 7.46 Liters :D

just ben
02-06-2016, 12:13 AM
I had an 88 vert. Really nice car and the only ford allowed in my driveway.

bkm
02-06-2016, 01:42 AM
Until the LS1 came out, I no problem with any LT1/third gen F-Body, then the LS1 came along and changed all that. Lol

bkm
02-06-2016, 01:56 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/bb925d432e34774a87485574a06d7762.jpg

This was my first foxbody. It would run 13.5 all day long with exhaust and gears. I did heads, cam, intake, and ran 12.3.

atc007
02-06-2016, 09:41 AM
I had a 88 IROC, 5,.7 TPI, every option,bought it smashed w 1,200 mi on it. Blew out the cat, became a hypertech dealer,put a chip and 160 stat in it,and it was an absolute freak of nature. Danced around vettes and a 87 Grand national driven by a racer.,,,I had a 89 Vette at the time.My buddy had a Mcclaren ,bought new every option, heads exhaust etc. Last I remember his car had around 4k miles on it...We never dragged them, I let him drive my Iroc one night and he was stunned speechless,for around 30 miles. The night culminated by him pulling out onto Rte 14, accelerating slightly and damn near spinning us out into an oncoming tractor trailer and killing us. He was scared sh!tless of my car from that day forward,but everyone who was ever around it was :). I WILL track her down again one day. She had 7,232 on the clock when I sold her in 95... :( I bought and sold many more Irocs back then, mostly 350's,but the only one that came close was actually a 87 black 305. That sob ran like the wind also. I must go find the old polaroids I have :(. to the op, nice car!

sledcrazyinCT
02-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I've had a few fox bodies, and loved them. Someday I'd like another one. I have a freshly rebuilt 351C that I'd like to put to good use.

That's funny,I own an 83 5.0 convertible and intend to install a built cleveland I had in a 81 Bronco. Not too many header choices but the rest of the conversion should be straight forward. Putting a roll cage in too

El Camexican
02-06-2016, 11:21 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/bb925d432e34774a87485574a06d7762.jpg

This was my first foxbody. It would run 13.5 all day long with exhaust and gears. I did heads, cam, intake, and ran 12.3.

Amazing what those things could do with some tuning. There were a couple of university kids at our local track that tuned a near stocker into the low 12's on a shoestring budget. I forget the class, but they broke an NHRA record for whatever it was. Talk about a sleeper on the street.:lol:

atc007
02-06-2016, 02:04 PM
The one thing I actually have a pic of from the good ol days. Best I could do. Took a pic of the polaroid onto the Wifes kindle,to photobucket to here lol. Pic sucks,but again, it was a 1990 polaroid :( My 88 in front, 89 black Vette,,,what a pile,,,mho,,,and a 90 350 I had in stock at the time. Theft recovery ,stripped to the hull,what an easy fix compared to the wrecks I was buying... :naughty::lol:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/atc0087/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160206_1229593_rewind_kindlephoto-29082804_zps3soq0wxi.jpg (http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/atc0087/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160206_1229593_rewind_kindlephoto-29082804_zps3soq0wxi.jpg.html)

bkm
02-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Love the 3rd gen Iroc's. Great pics. There was a guy around here with a beautiful 92 anniversary car. 5.7 automatic. He would pull u-turns in the middle of the highway to race me if I was going the opposite direction. When my car was stock I could usually get him by a fender, then I did the h/c/i swap and it was no longer a contest. I always loved that car though. It was that real vibrant red with the cool rear spoiler.

El Camexican
02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
My neighbor bought an actual IROC used in the Canadian series when the owner (inventor of some sort of touchless car wash system) went broke. Full cage, all the suspension mods, shaved tires etc. Even had numbers on the doors when he picked it up, but I recall he had to sign something stating he'd remove all the decals within a time period. Closest thing to a Porsche I've ever been in as far as handling was concerned.

bkm
02-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Amazing what those things could do with some tuning. There were a couple of university kids at our local track that tuned a near stocker into the low 12's on a shoestring budget. I forget the class, but they broke an NHRA record for whatever it was. Talk about a sleeper on the street.:lol:
They responded very well to suspension, gears, and exhaust. Attention to detail and some weight reduction would have you running high 12's low 13's with very few modifications. With advancement in computer tuning, the turbo guys are pushing stock blocks up to and past 600 hp with very few mods and living long lives. I remember when supercharged and nitrous cars were ticking time bombs once they started pushing 450-500 hp. But guys didn't realize that RPM's would kill these engines faster than a magical hp figure.

LegendaryTriker
02-07-2016, 01:01 AM
They responded very well to suspension, gears, and exhaust. Attention to detail and some weight reduction would have you running high 12's low 13's with very few modifications. With advancement in computer tuning, the turbo guys are pushing stock blocks up to and past 600 hp with very few mods and living long lives. I remember when supercharged and nitrous cars were ticking time bombs once they started pushing 450-500 hp. But guys didn't realize that RPM's would kill these engines faster than a magical hp figure.
I didn't know a Stock block could take 600 horse power in those cars, I'd like to get mine rebuilt and repainted. I love the old fox Bodies, everyone I know says they are junk though

El Camexican
02-07-2016, 01:23 AM

On that note there were a few guy at our track (and likely all tracks at that time) that had Buick turbos on the bottle running 12 flats. I recall they had kits that could be removed in the event that warrantee work was needed.;)

bkm
02-07-2016, 01:28 AM
I didn't know a Stock block could take 600 horse power in those cars, I'd like to get mine rebuilt and repainted. I love the old fox Bodies, everyone I know says they are junk though

There are a few turbo cars running around the internet with stock blocks and close to 600 hp. There is a myth that the block would split in two at a magical 500 hp mark which is not true. I've seen guys running 400 hp split them.

Attention to every detail, good rotating assembly, meticulous machining and assembly, along with a perfect tune, will increase longevity.

Now with that being said if I were building a 600 hp 302, it would start with an aftermarket block. I'm not that lucky or good.

bkm
02-07-2016, 01:32 AM
On that note there were a few guy at our track (and likely all tracks at that time) that had Buick turbos on the bottle running 12 flats. I recall they had kits that could be removed in the event that warrantee work was needed.;)
I remember my first encounter with a Buick GN. I yanked him out of the whole immediately by a car and I was shittin in tall cotton, or so I thought. That damn thing came around me with smoke rolling off the tires and gave me a good look at the back of that beautiful G-Body.
Needless to say he took me out behind the woodshed that race. I never messed with another one after that.

LegendaryTriker
02-07-2016, 01:32 AM
There are a few turbo cars running around the internet with stock blocks and close to 600 hp. There is a myth that the block would split in two at a magical 500 hp mark which is not true. I've seen guys running 400 hp split them.

Attention to every detail, good rotating assembly, meticulous machining and assembly, along with a perfect tune, will increase longevity.

Now with that being said if I were building a 600 hp 302, it would start with an aftermarket block. I'm not that lucky or good.
Haha, Yeah I wouldn't want to have more then 400 - 450 hp Max with the stock block on those engines
The way I was taught was this, my dad is a mechanic, he always told me you can't get 430hp out of those blocks they will split
I a buddy of mine told me a story of someone who got over 1000hp out of a 302 fox body, took it down the quarter mile strip One time and blew right up.
Haha

bkm
02-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Haha, Yeah I wouldn't want to have more then 400 - 450 hp Max with the stock block on those engines
The way I was taught was this, my dad is a mechanic, he always told me you can't get 430hp out of those blocks they will split
I a buddy of mine told me a story of someone who got over 1000hp out of a 302 fox body, took it down the quarter mile strip One time and blew right up.
Haha

These days there are a lot of turbo cars running 500 hp with mostly stock parts and a spot on tune. Get the tune wrong just a little and look out.

Supercharged cars put tons of stress on the crank snout, nitrous cars have such a violent hit, and n/a engines like lots rpm to make power from such a small engine and RPM's kill those blocks.

As far as power adders are concerned,Turbochargers are relatively easy on the engines compared to the others.

bkm
02-07-2016, 01:46 AM
What are your plans for a rebuild?

LegendaryTriker
These days there are a lot of turbo cars running 500 hp with mostly stock parts and a spot on tune. Get the tune wrong just a little and look out.

Supercharged cars put tons of stress on the crank snout, nitrous cars have such a violent hit, and n/a engines like lots rpm to make power from such a small engine and RPM's kill those blocks.

As far as power adders are concerned,Turbochargers are relatively easy on the engines compared to the others.
That's good to know. Have you seen some of these guys who have done coyote swaps on fox Bodies ?227452

Chopsaw
This is the one I really wish I had back . I bought this car out of a farm field in Ill. It was rough , no engine . Rusted , no paint . Factory GT " a " motor car ( less engine ) but had the kelsey hays 4 piston front brakes and the handling package . I put the GT350 look on it and bought a 289 k motor balanced , blue printed . free floated , 13:1 , 3500 stall with 4.63 rear end and a 225 HP Nitrous system .
Low 12 second car with slicks , only because the gear was to low , ran out on top end . Off the line it was a beast . My son used to help me wash it . He's 21 now . I haven't shown him this picture .

bkm
02-07-2016, 01:49 AM
That's good to know. Have you seen some of these guys who have done coyote swaps on fox Bodies ?227452

Yes yes and yes. That would be my first choice if I was going to swap an engine. Guys are running 11's with a box stock coyote in a foxbody. They are insane and sound awesome.

If you use the cheaper truck engine, cost isn't too awful bad.

sledcrazyinCT
02-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Stroker kits for the windsor motors can make 500 HP these days without too much $$. These engines can be built for longevity with 9 to 11:1 compression.

There are kits to get close to 460 cubes out of a 351W

YTZ drew
02-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Back when I taught at a certain post-secondary multi-campus Auto tech school, we had a multi campus Mustang build-off competition. Each campus started with a used Arizona fox body, and was given a brand new 302 crate engine and a Tremec T56 to start with. What we did from there was up to us. Our resident engine guru Mark who taught the hot rod classes spec'ed out all the engine mods, and we ran it on the engine dyno to the tune of just about 600hp with nitrous being the only power adder. After several dragstrip passes, the head gasket was the only thing we had trouble with. The 10 bolt pattern with 4 bolts per cylinder is a drawback to the Ford smallblock.

wellys88
02-07-2016, 03:43 PM
had same car and a notchback aswell, put a 347 stroker in, i loved that thing, had tubular K memeber too, regret gettin rid of it, building a 72 import ford capri now with ford 9 inch and a 347 stroker,

boy&hisdogs
02-07-2016, 07:47 PM
My mom had a fox when I was little., like really little, pre-kindergarten years, I was actually small enough to be comforrtable in the back seat! :D It was a '85 302/5spd GT convertible. I don't remember this, but I've been told that one day I went out into the garage and was dismayed to see it not there. "Where's the racecar?" I asked. I cried when she told me that she had sold it. After that came an Intrepid, then a mini van! :(

bkm
02-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Back when I taught at a certain post-secondary multi-campus Auto tech school, we had a multi campus Mustang build-off competition. Each campus started with a used Arizona fox body, and was given a brand new 302 crate engine and a Tremec T56 to start with. What we did from there was up to us. Our resident engine guru Mark who taught the hot rod classes spec'ed out all the engine mods, and we ran it on the engine dyno to the tune of just about 600hp with nitrous being the only power adder. After several dragstrip passes, the head gasket was the only thing we had trouble with. The 10 bolt pattern with 4 bolts per cylinder is a drawback to the Ford smallblock.
Head studs, good gaskets, and a cylinder head with a decent deck thickness remedy this. The aftermarket blocks and 351w use the same bolt pattern and don't seem to have an issue when studded.

YTZ drew
02-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Head studs, good gaskets, and a cylinder head with a decent deck thickness remedy this. The aftermarket blocks and 351w use the same bolt pattern and don't seem to have an issue when studded.
Funny thing is, I'm pretty certain he studded it. Not positive though, its been about 8 years now. They still have the car at the campus as a showpiece. The next time I visit I'll have to look at it again.

bkm
02-08-2016, 05:56 PM
The lsx engine uses the same number of bolts and has an almost identical bolt pattern to the sbf. I would suspect cylinder head deck thickness is more of a factor on these engines.

LegendaryTriker
02-11-2016, 02:35 AM
My mom had a fox when I was little., like really little, pre-kindergarten years, I was actually small enough to be comforrtable in the back seat! :D It was a '85 302/5spd GT convertible. I don't remember this, but I've been told that one day I went out into the garage and was dismayed to see it not there. "Where's the racecar?" I asked. I cried when she told me that she had sold it. After that came an Intrepid, then a mini van! :(

Went from a mustang to a mini van ? Lol, she should have kept it