PDA

View Full Version : two of ten posts! 1 have a 84 125m I bought it and broke it in fifteen minutes!

brian l
02-08-2016, 08:02 AM
The seller said it sometimes cant find neutral.Now the gear selector wont change or do much of anything.I guy i know says He can fix it,but i need the motor off for him to work on it.I took it off but hesitated to send it to Him as im not too sure He is capable of repair!I found a former Honda shop that will work on it/He says to take off the right side cover and if there is no chunks laying in it,He is pretty sure He can fix it.Any body have an idea as to what He may be replacing?I'm anxious as I have
only rode it twice,maybe fifteen minutes before it quit moving.Seems to be in neutral but the indicator nor the light will come on,nor will it go into any gear. Seems common.Thank You

shortline10
02-08-2016, 03:24 PM
The shift drum stopper or star is broken or loose or possibly the boss that holds the stopper to the case is broke .
Do a search on the forum , very common issue .

ps2fixer
02-08-2016, 07:16 PM
the boss that holds the stopper to the case is broke

2 of 2 (84 and 85) atc125m's I have bought have had that issue. Too many people jab the shifter forcing it though the gears. Case can be welded by someone skilled, redrill and tap and put a longer bolt in. Best to split the cases to do the repair complete though which is why both of mine are still sitting.

Another common issue is the ratchet tip can break off that turns the shift drum, one of the ones of mine had it just about worn out.