PDA

View Full Version : Please value this 250sx

Bustintrukeys
02-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Looking to buy this 250sx to bolster my parts supply, opinions on value/condition will be greatly appreciated!

ps2fixer
02-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Does it run, is rid-able, issues?

I see missing rear mud flaps, and the it doesn't look new, but overall looks in good shape. I see the gas tank has some sort of bubbling on the bottom, if it has rust under there that is a fairly expensive repair. Assuming it runs good, brakes are good, and everything else is in good working order, it should be worth around $500-700 in my area. Ones with a really nice tank and good rear fenders/mud flaps run $1000-1200 in my area. I paid $500 for mine, but I only jump on cheap deals.

Here are a couple of photos, first one is when I first got it more or less, second is from a year ago. Threw in the 3rd for giggles of a parts machine I picked up. Under all of that big red stuff is a 250sx, and the engine ran GREAT ironically (on my cousin's machine now). If I remember right, I paid $150 or 200 for the parts machine and was "non-running" It just needed to be shifted into neutral.... carb was in sad shape and wiring all cut up, rear fenders welded to frame, etc.

Bustintrukeys
02-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Bike runs and drives but needs bearings done, seems to be missing both brake leavers but I can see the foot brake is there. Lights work and as for the gas tank I've seen the plastic remakes going for $100+ on eBay so I'm not to concerned about that. I haven't seen it in person yet and was thinking a good starting offer would be $350 as I'm planning on doing a complete tear down for parts if I buy it.

ps2fixer
02-08-2016, 11:33 PM
$350 shouldn't be too bad. Which bearings exactly need to be done? Rear diff bearings require a special tool ($80 on ebay if i remember right), swing arm bearings also require a different special tool. Axle bearings are pretty easy as well as steering stem.

I looked at the photos a little closer, looks like the right brake handle is there, but not the left. Engine looks pretty nasty, leaking oil and such so I'd say the top end atleast needs new gaskets, maybe even a refresh. Looks like it sat out in the weather for a while so I'd check the oil level, kick it over a few times and check again for milkly white/gray color for signs of water. Could do the same for the rear diff (17mm 6 point socket and a large ratchet).

Hard to tell what kind of person the owner is, but if they don't seem to be the kind that would take offense easy, start off low and work your way up, some people dislike that tactic, but it does give a strong middle ground where the seller and buyer meet in a happy middle. My dad bought a 4 runner with a bad frame like that, he offered $400 (listing was $1000 which was way too much), and he said little more, so my dad said $450, and he said little more, and he offered $500, and the guy said, good deal sold. He had a strong German background, and was a pretty neat experience.

I'd say start at around $250 and go max $350-400 depending how badly you need the parts. I have had kind of an unwritten rule when buying things, if the owner is in a rush to sell and won't talk about the machine and make small talk, it is a bad ordeal and low ball the price. If they are really talkative and seem to have a passion for what the machine is/was, it shows they took care of it better. I see another 3 wheeler in the photos, so it isn't a fluke that they had a 250sx randomly.

LegendaryTriker
02-11-2016, 02:37 AM
Id say its worth anywhere from $300 to $650 at the most but i would not pay more then $450 or $500 at the most

TrickShot
02-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Just bring him a case of Coors Beer and likely get it cheaper, judging by the Coors Beer tower by the door. :beer

86125m
02-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Doesn't look to bad to me. It is going to need a lot of work mind you But it looks like most everything is there like ever one else get it as low as possible. I would not pay moore than 200 for it. and I would feel better around the 50 100 dollar range.

YamaBoss
02-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Doesn't look to bad to me. It is going to need a lot of work mind you But it looks like most everything is there like ever one else get it as low as possible. I would not pay moore than 200 for it. and I would feel better around the 50 100 dollar range.

I would have to agree with this. It would be a lot better to get it closer to 200 with 300 being max. But it all depends how it looks when you go to look at it. From my experience things look a lot better in pictures then they do when you get there. You will have to look the machine over and see what all it needs.

Bustintrukeys
02-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone I passed on the trike to many problems for the price!