PDA

View Full Version : 83-84 250r with 350x headlight

Snapfish89
02-09-2016, 02:47 PM
I have a 1983 250r.
I've purchased the 350x headlight assembly.
Reading and searching has got me only so far.
Claiming you need a 350x voltage regulator. Can any
One help me?
I need to know where and how to install a volt. Reg.

If you have done this mod please explain what was involved and how you done it!

Thanks!!!

ps2fixer
02-09-2016, 09:48 PM
The lighting circuit wire on the 84 250r is the yellow wire which comes from the stator and goes to the handle bar switches (comes out brown for tail light and white/blue for headlight), green is your ground/negative. A 2 wire voltage regulator goes in parallel with the power/ground and can more or less be placed anywhere you can tap into the green/yellow wire.

A 4 wire voltage regulator separates the supply power and the output power, basically the ground and power goes to the regulator, and 12v positive and negative comes out. I'm not 100% sure if the 12v negative and the negative from the stator (also is the frame/engine ground) can be connected with out issues. The wire harness does have a ring ground going to the frame that might have to be disconnected to work with a 4 wire regulator.

There are more regulator styles, but your brike doesn't have the 3 coil stator like larger machines normally have. The 350x factory regulator was the 2 pin style above.

I don't have direct experience with adding in regulators, but the above is the best info I can provide as I understand how it works. On some smaller machines, the headlight/taillight were the regulator, basically the size of the alternator and the bulb sizes where matched. If that is the case with the 250r, running more total watts than what it had factory will result in dim lights, running less wattage will be brighter and/or blown lights which is what a regulator prevents.

Snapfish89
02-10-2016, 03:15 AM
Thank you! Yeah I'm going to buy the two pin factory 350x regulator.

ps2fixer
02-10-2016, 04:33 AM
Here is a 350x wire diagram to help show how it was hooked up in an actual visual. It is called an AC Regulator in the diagram and is located left of the stator hook-ups.

jb2wheels
02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Does the 2nd gen R have enough stator power to run 2 bulbs? Even 2x35W (stock 350x) bulbs? I think it only puts out 70W max so it's going to be close.

I think you're over-engineering this. The air-foolers have a no-regulator AC system. The bulbs are the regulator.

Just plug the 350X lights in and run them. Without adding a regulator. They might be dim but they won't blow.

Maybe run without the tail light to get all the power to the headlight. Or use an LED tail light ($5 trailer marker light from WalMart) since they draw very little power.

If you decide you really need a regulator, something like this is all you need: 2-wire regulator (AC 12V shunt) (http://www.motosport.com/product?psreferrer=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google. com&pssource=true&segment=badger&key=Trail-Tech-AC-Voltage-Regulator&cc=us&adpos=1o1&creative=64385813905&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJjdytGt7coCFYVAaQodJHQLSA)

Snapfish89
02-10-2016, 04:17 PM
this is the 250r wiring, I guess I need to know where to tap a two wire regulator into...

I personally don't know if I need a reg. or not.. I have read the 250r will blow the bulbs with out a regulator... I was hoping some one had done this kind of thing before

Snapfish89
02-10-2016, 04:21 PM
yes! that regulator is what I have decided to buy.. Now I need to know where it goes.

I think this swap would look great, hopfully someone has done this and can give me a little more details.

thanks for your help thus far!

oldskool83
02-10-2016, 04:27 PM
YUK!!!!! 83-84R with 85R head light....YUM!!!!!!

jb2wheels
02-10-2016, 05:30 PM
The 2-wire regulator should tap into the yellow wire coming off the stator before it goes into the headlight switch.

The 3rd gen Rs will blow bulbs without a regulator. They make real power for lights.

I'll buy you 3 bulbs if a 2nd gen R blows any bulbs - as long as all 3 (2x35W 350X headlights + stock taillight) are hooked up and working.

Snapfish89
02-11-2016, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=jb2wheels;1400087]The 2-wire regulator should tap into the yellow wire coming off the stator before it goes into the headlight switch.

The 3rd gen Rs will blow bulbs without a regulator. They make real power for lights.

I'll buy you 3 bulbs if a 2nd gen R blows any bulbs - as long as all 3 (2x35W 350X headlights + stock taillight) are hooked up and working.[/QUOTE

Sounds good to me. I'm whiling to try it!

Snapfish89
02-12-2016, 12:55 PM
here it is! kkkkkkkkkkkkk

Snapfish89
02-12-2016, 01:12 PM
OK, guys

You were correct! I simply put new ends on the 350x headlight doing no mods to the oem 250r wiring harness.

so far it works great. I haven't blew a headlight yet. so I guess a regulator isn't needed, not yet anyways.
the 85-86 250r headlight would look great as well. but we all know parts are getting hard to come by and this 350x headlight was up for grabs.

The install was easy, id say a "2" and a scale 1-10. as long as you know the basics and have the tools id say anyone could do it.

I haven't had it on at dark so I'm not sure were there pointed but they have adjusters, so I should be able to point them were the need to be.

I think it looks great and is a total upgrade over the oem 83-84 headlight assembly.

I have not a clue, but I think the 81-82 headlight would look goo, also the 200x head light, they both look more sleek compared the 2nd gen R. But I do not know if they will fit!

You can see in the picture were I modded the 350x headlight so it can plug right into the oem connector, can easily switch back.

Well if you have any questions just ask, I hope this post helps at least one person out! I'll keep in touch after a few hours of ride time with the light on.

Thanks for all the help!

ps2fixer
02-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Too bad you had to cut the oem connectors on the headlight sockets, the oem ones seem to have a pretty high value unaltered (like $60 for a pair). I could have made ya some quick adapters to plug and play w\o any adapters but too late now. Now that you have that style of crimp on the wires, you will want to seal it, or keep the machine out of the weather as much as possible since the wire isn't crimped like the factory crimp there is larger air gaps in the wire which can wick up water and make the copper oxidize over time. I'd personally cut off the blue plastic and put some high quality sealing heat shrink on it, the type that has the glue on the inside that actually seals up connections, not the standard stuff that only covers.

I do like the looks of the 350x headlight shell, but that goes for pretty much any 3 wheeler it is on lol.

If you ever need bulbs for the 350x housing, go to an auto parts store and find HM202 light bulbs. They are the same type/wattage as factory 350x bulbs and are much cheaper than direct from honda. They are made for motorcycles, so generally they are not cheap crappy ones. New bulbs will be brighter than 30 year old bulbs :).