PDA

View Full Version : '85 200x brake restoration

Mackus84
02-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Restoring 2 200x's and i have a plethora of spare parts, like 3 or 4 front and rear calipers. Problem is, theyre all pretty stuck and just not working order. Is there anything i can soak them in just to kinda bring em back to life, or unfreeze them to at least attempt to re use them with a rebuild or what not. I want to use as many oem parts as possible.

yaegerb
02-18-2016, 10:24 PM
They need a rebuild. Don't need to soak per-say....got an air compressor?

To get the piston out to rebuild do the following:
1. Tighten bleeder valve
2. Remove banjo bolt
3. Take pads out and anything else blocking the piston
4. Turn on air compressor and hook up blow gun (the ones with the rubber nipple are best)
4. Wrap a towel around the brake and hold the brake with the piston pointing away from you
5. Blow air into the banjo bolt hole and I guarantee the piston will pop like a champagne cork

Then clean the caliper and buy one of these....

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200X-1983-1987-Front-Brake-Caliper-Rebuild-Kit-Shindy-08-501-/400416829280?nav=SEARCH

Or if you don't want to mess with it PM me.

YTZ drew
02-18-2016, 10:58 PM
I gave had a couple that were so stuck that air wouldn't budge the piston. Someone on here suggested using a grease fitting threaded into the banjo hole, and use a grease gun to hydraulically push the piston out. It works like a charm! Love this place.

Mackus84
02-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Ill try the compressor trick first, if that doesnt work. Ill try the grease fitting trick. I think i have one thatll thread lying around somwhere

Onetrackmind
02-18-2016, 11:45 PM
I recently had a piston so frozen that neither of the above methods worked to pop it out. I used a C-clamp to push the piston back IN just a bit and that's all it took to finally knock it loose. Then used the compressor and it popped right out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk