PDA

View Full Version : yamaha blaster

12-04-2002, 09:15 PM
I have a few questions about this quad before I get one. 1. How fast do they go? 2.Are they reliable? 3. Which is the best year to get (other than brand new)? I am about 5'3 105 lbs. What hop ups do you reccomend for this quad and how much speed do they add? Thanks.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
i'm not sure how fast they go...i think it was 52-55 stock, but if you have it all tuned in and everthing then it is very reliable, all years are good, my freinds that we ride all over town has a toomey pipe, V force reed valve, and a couple others, you will notice a difference with an aftermarket pipe

HemiChallenger71
12-05-2002, 12:10 AM
They are excellent machines for people of your size. Top speed stock is 55mph or so. I would stay away from the erlier years jsut because erly years of anything usually have problems. Other than that I have had no problems with mine, and overall they are one of the msot reliable quads ever. Some people on here say they have crank problems, but I've only herd about them on here. I have never seen one heve/get a crank problem in my life. There are about 1 million Blasters around here too. Vito's performance has a lot of good performance modifications for Blasters that are affordable, check for them in Dirt Wheels, they have a big ad. Pretty much anything for a Blaster will add noticible seat-of-your- pants feelable power gain. An air filter on mine added very noticeable power. As for prices you can find very nice 2001 Blasters for about $2,000.00. At least that's what I sold mine for about 8 months ago (dumbest move i've ever made).

Tri-Z_Jim
12-05-2002, 12:47 AM
Top speed is 55/56 stock.They are very reliable if they were taken care of properly.The motor is basically an IT200 bike motor and they were always very reliable.The motor has been basically the same since the early 80's.There are tons of mods you can do,check out www.trengaracing.com for info and all mods for Blasters.Reeds/reed spacer,air filter,exaust are all effective mods.First thing to do is buy an oil injection blk off and get rid of the ballon tires in the rear.If you want more,buy a 240cc kit.A stock blaster makes 18 HP and the 240cc kit gives you around 40 HP making it lethal.Check out the fuel injection conversion for the Blaster http://www.perfectpower.com/installations/bike.asp
I have a 2000 Blaster with some mods.I'm 5'11" and weigh 197lbs and ride mine hard every time and I havent had any major problems yet.The susp is a bit soft for me though.Any other questions?,,,ask away.These are before and after pics of mine.

200xer
12-05-2002, 11:25 AM
i love the look of that blaster

I just don't like that they are really short. It isn't bad till you ride a 400ex right after it though :)

12-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Hey thanks! The way things sound the 1995 area is good right? I am about 14, so the funds are a bit low! I want something that is pretty fast and jumpable(? if that is a word)! Thanks for all the help! Any more opinions and if you can, more specifics on years would be cool! But don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the info you have given!

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2002, 07:15 PM
I paid 2K for a 2000 but I've seen alot of used ones that people toss tons of money into - pipe, silencer,block offs, axles, bored out, tires - you name it. And when their done or too big for them they sell them for 1500 to 1800$. Why not let someone else spend the $ on the ad ons??. They jump and handle great and are easy to maintain. I'm too big for mine at 200lbs. but it still is the perfect choice for me money wise for now. Find more reliability and fun for under 2K I dare ya!! And 3100$ new aint too shabby either!

TimSr
12-06-2002, 07:35 PM
The only gripe I ever had about the Blaster was the mechanical brakes, and theyve corrected that problem on the new ones with hydraulics. Nothing even close in its price range, nothing turns tighter with 4 wheels, and in tight woods itll eat any of the monster quads out today. They are designed with lighter riders in mind, mostly teenagers and women running them at the races. When you start getting past 165-185 they have to work a lot harder. I wouldnt do any mods until youve ridden it for awhile and see what it lacks that you need for your type of riding. The stock pipe is more for low to mid range which makes it excellent for trail riding, and you may decide a top end pipe is not in your interest.