PDA

View Full Version : Help removing my 98 blaster engine

timex69
01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey
I was trying to take out the engine of my blaster so that i could paint the engine...i have taken dirt bike engines out before but never a quad engine. I got all the nuts and bots off accept this 1 bolt..i was able to take the nut off it but i cant push it through the frame. I have included a picture below of the bolt im trying to push through the frame.

Honda300ex
01-26-2004, 05:53 PM
That is the Swing arm bolt, i have no idea why yamaha made it go threw the motor. :? Every blaster i have had was apart when i got it so never had to fight with one. But i would say, Jack up the frame to get wieght off the swingarm, and spray some WD40 in there and put a wrench on the other end to make it turn freely then just tap it out with a hammer, and if it wont come out ever after you get it in the swinger some use a punch on it. Hope this helps you out..

timex69
01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
thnx man but where should i put the jack..on the swing arm on on the frame.....could u give me an example thnx man you've been a big help

YAMAHA_Jim
01-26-2004, 07:20 PM
WAITTT!!!
before you go hammerin on the bolt,,put the nut back on 3/4's of the way and hammer on the nut instead of smashing the threads.Tapping on the back of the motor where the bolt goes through may loosen it up too,,,,dont hit it hard enough to break the cases. WD40,PB nutblaster,etc. helps too
ALSO, if the bolt is really siezed in there,Hammering on it hard it will mushroom the end of the nut and bolt and it will never come out. I learned that the hard way on my banshee. I'm good at getting seized swingarm bolts out but not when the machine is a few hundred miles away :)

Good Luck

YAMAHA_Jim
01-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Honda300ex, I would rather have the bolt go through the motor like on the blaster, vs. a banshee swingarm where the swingarm pivot tube is solid all the way across.The long sleeve inside the banshee swingarm is more likely to seize to the bolt and not come out than on the blaster. I speak from experience. I wish EVERYBODY would take thier swingarms off and grease them once a year. I spent 7 hrs getting a siezed banshee swinger bolt out (1989 bought used),,and ended up cutting the head off the bolt and driving it out the opposite side b/c I mushroomed the end with the threads.No one cares about the next guy that buys thier machine and ends up having to fix it right.

Honda300ex
01-26-2004, 09:02 PM
On my blaster it is egg corn shaped.. the treads dont start for like 1/2 a Inch.. as long as trailprotrailpro accurate with the hammer you shouldnt hit it.. Lol.. Yea ive heard of tehm sticking.. I know thats why they did it like that but it makes it no fun to pull the motor..

YAMAHA_Jim
01-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda300ex , Here's an easy way to hold the swingarm back and out of the way(w/o removing rear shock).
With the ATV on a stand/milk crate,Take a tie-down and hook one end on the axle carrier and the other end on the rear bumper or back of frame.You can take enough slack up to slide the swinger bolt out,then tighten the tie-down and it pulls the swingarm back outta the way and holds it there until the motor is ready to go back in. Then release the tie-down and guide the swingarm back in place.I slide my swingarm bolts out with 2 fingers,no hammers required.

Honda300ex
01-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Thats how mine does.. ive had it apart so many times.. One other idea is to rent a Slide hammer and pull it out..

84250r
01-29-2004, 01:00 AM
The tri-z's are the same way! swingarm bolt goes through the motor as well.

Any luck on getting it out yet?

timex69
01-29-2004, 08:05 AM
thank you everyone for all your help its starting to get warmer here in prince edward island canada it had been about -40C with the windchill..the day i took it apart i was jsut so board i went to the garage with the boots and insulated coverals and worked out thier in the freezing cold for a few hours but it wasnt that bad but i have decided not to do anymore untill it warms up..its half warm today and im about to head off to school but im gonna give it ago later today..thanks for all your interest

Decky Gallen
03-05-2011, 06:34 PM
i have the same problem it just wont come trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro out lol:drool:blacksheep

YAMAHA_Jim
03-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow,7 yrs ago,I dont even remember typing that but I'm still standing by it :)