PDA

View Full Version : first real non trike thread, need more snot outta my 4.3L

monoxide
01-26-2004, 10:47 PM
what are the top 10 things i can do to get some more snot out of my '93 GMC 4.3L 2wd?

bigred110
01-26-2004, 11:02 PM
you can get a programmer, exhaust, full intake, a egr mod, throttle blade mod, do some work to your air cleaner box, headers, roller rockers, relocate your air sensor closer to the front, cut your tail pipe off at the muffler and put a down pipe on it, and don't waste you money on a throttle body spacer unless it's has T.B.I. on it, stroker kit, cam, pulleys, and thats all I can think of. And some of these mods might not work for work for your truck since I'm going off of my truck.
For more info you can go to http://www.s10forum.com

nate b
01-27-2004, 09:49 AM
put a v-8 in it

3 weelin geezer
01-27-2004, 04:51 PM
You can try a bigger hammer. 'Stall' it at a RR crossing and get clear. Run it off a cliff. Let the neighborhood kids play in it. Leave the truck parked in a bad part of town with the keys in the ignition. Simply leave it in the bad part of town and claim it was stolen. Go muddin at a frozen lake thats not quite frozen.(bring a dry set of clothes and don't leave them IN the truck) Wrecking yard. Send it to Jesse James at Simon Stern's garage. Then get a new diesel powered dually with a travel trailer (and an atv if you don't already own one) like us geezers.

Seabass
01-27-2004, 05:17 PM
This has to be the best engine made in the last 15 years. My dad has a '93 S10 with the 4.3L. Just went over 400,000kms (yes, 400 thou), and it doesn't burn a lick of oil. If you're not careful you'll screech the tires shifting into 2nd(Auto). Just amazingly reliable - guess that did'nt help with your mods question but had to get my .02$ in.
Thanks

1985 200s
01-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a 96 S-10 with 320,000 miles. I don't know the conversion to km's, but it's alot of miles. Doesn't use or lose a bit of oil. ;) Wow I just found a conversion calculator 514,880 KM's = 320,000 miles. :shock:

monoxide
01-27-2004, 09:31 PM
a egr mod relocate your air sensor closer to the front, cut your tail pipe off at the muffler and put a down pipe on it,

whats an EGR mod.? how will moving the O2 sensor closer the the front help, and how far to move it? and what the hall is a down pipe haha

TRI-Zbrian
01-27-2004, 10:17 PM
drop a carbed 350 in it you will be much happyer puttign money into a 350 its like suping up a 200x VS a 250R the money is better spent on the bigger engine.

HemiChallenger71
01-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Honestley I'd put a K&N FIPK kit on it, a computer chip and a performance exhaust (if it were mine i would leave the stock exhaust so its quiet). And then I'd just drive the truck and take care of it. If it is was broken in properly and not driven very hard it will last 300,000 miles no problems excepting wearing parts. The water pump at 150,000 on the dot, the altinator at 100,000 usually sometimes longer, occasionally a starter, clutch tires and brakes and oil changes every 3,000. Dead reliable vehicles. If you want power I personally would yank the 4.3 and sell it and drop a 350 in, your tranny will bolt right up as well as your motor mounts, althought a kit might do you good to set the motor back. If it's an automatic some slight transmission modifications may be required, 700R4's are good transmissions. You could keep the stock rear end and drive it easy, dont throw any big tires on it. If you wanted to tear on it I'd recommend a GM corporate 8.2 In. W/3.23 or 3.55 gear depending on the transmission and tire size. the 12 bolt rearends are to damn expensive cuse everyone wants one for some reason.

bigred110
01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
a egr mod relocate your air sensor closer to the front, cut your tail pipe off at the muffler and put a down pipe on it,

whats an EGR mod.? how will moving the O2 sensor closer the the front help, and how far to move it? and what the hall is a down pipe haha

The egr mod is for newer trucks I believe, I think the site to get the adapter is www,s10planet.com and it's $20 or so.
Not the O2 sensor the air sensor, it's on the intake. If you move it closer to the front of the air box it'll read cooler air and the computer well adjust for that and you can get little more power.
Go to autozone and look for a tailpipe that shots the exhaust down.
The newer S-10's has different y pipes on the 2wd and the 4wd, the 4wd has 10hp more then the 2wd
I got a 02 S-10 so some of the mods might not be compatible with your truck.

65 mustange
01-28-2004, 09:09 PM
put a ford emblem on it. LOL

kap
02-07-2004, 09:31 PM
ok do this give that damn chevy away and go buy trailprotrailpro self a ford ranger and dont make it look like some pansy racing car make it a offroad beast

monoxide
02-07-2004, 11:25 PM
ok do this give that damn chevy away and go buy trailprotrailpro self a ford ranger and dont make it look like some pansy racing car make it a offroad beast

couldn't resisnt could ya?

resurrecting a dead topic that is ;)

Invincible
02-10-2004, 04:39 AM
Honestly take everything that everyone is saying about putting a v-8 in it and throw it out the window.! The problem with putting v-8's in s10's is that you end up with the problem of never being able to get the rear end to hook up. I've personally got a friend that has put a 350 in his s-10 that he drag races and he's tried every combination he or i can think of to get it to hook up. With a positrack rearend and drag slicks he still spins his tires too much on take off and at each shift.

If i was to liven up a 93 model 4.3 liter i would put a pair of vortec heads out of a new model such as a 2000 or up on it. But why stop there you can get some flat top pistons, grind your crank, pepier cam, K&N, Flow-master 40's series, pullies and depending on if you have an automatic or manual. With a automatic i'd put a shift kit, with a manual you've already have a five speed undoudtably but if you still want more you can put a six speed in out of a trans am or camaroe. Oh and one last note if you get a set of vortec heads only there really is no need to get headers as long as you get the manifolds off of a vortec motor also. For headers don't liven up vortec motors much if at all. (since the vortec heads and manifolds are already designed for great air flow)

Just my 2 cents and words from experience

Invincible

HemiChallenger71
02-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Right.... Since the 93 already has vortech heads.... and headers dont liven up vortech motor? What have u been smoking?

86*200x
02-10-2004, 10:19 PM
dont waste your time and money with a 4.3 i have a 93 1500 chevy 4x4 and i jus blew up my 2nd 4.3 they wont handle that much, both of the ones ive had have blown a hole in the # 1 cylinder so now im dropin in a carburated 454

Invincible
02-11-2004, 04:03 AM
93's are the last year that the produced the square body s-10 and no they didn't come factory with vortec heads. Just incase i was not understood.