PDA

View Full Version : Pic's of my new PRM desert series Grab rail on the Scrammy.

Wickedfinger
01-27-2004, 05:24 PM
This came in from the UPS man a few hours ago and I just mounted it. Its a PRM desert series Grab rail. I've been using PRM for quite a few years now and they make the best rails in the business hands down. This one was no exception in the quality department and the holes lined up perfectly - but I did run into a few problems. One wierd thing I always run into with PRM is that their mounting bolts are ALWAYS too short, and this kit was no exception. Second one was I had to remove the stock tool box from the rear in order for the new rail to mount up. I had to cut away at the rear mounting tab of the plastic box in order to make clearance for it to mount back up and clear the rail. The third problem is that even though the mounting holes lined up perfectly, the mounting braces of the rail were a little bit wider than the quads tail frame. When I tightened the bolts - which was a chore because they are just a little TOO short, I noticed that when they were fully seated, the grab rail actually had a little bit of an arc because of the mounting braces having to squeeze in on the frame. It dosent bother me too much though and I may in the future just remount the rail with longer bolts and washers between the tabs and the frame to alleviate the "bend". Anyway, even with the problems - (little ones really) - I would recomend PRMs products to anyone, anytime.

200xman
01-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah, they are great grab bars. Nice and wide so you can lift with 2 hands and stong to boot. I have that same bar on all my machines except for the KLT and Big Red.

03 ORANGE SHEE
01-27-2004, 10:59 PM
got one on my 85 z ,would recommend to ANYONE,will never get another,dg,or ac,they never line up properly!!

Dynofox
01-28-2004, 01:27 PM
I've got one on my 350x, works great but is slightly in front of my pipe. This makes the bike even louder. :(

REDMAN225
01-31-2004, 10:58 AM
looks sweet wickedfinger!! how hard was it to install that front bumper?

TravEX
01-31-2004, 01:00 PM
LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Wickedfinger
01-31-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanx guys ... the front bumper is a snap to install - takes like 5 minutes.

Bill X_R
01-31-2004, 03:21 PM
Looks Cool...I do like the fit and finish on prm products! It would be nice if all aftermarket Co. would adapt there standards!

REDMAN225
02-02-2004, 01:40 PM
cool, i gotta get that front bumper. is it a prm? or dg? :-D

Wickedfinger
02-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Its the older style DG unit (I believe they make it in a V bar now) ... It came with the bike when I go it, but I had the same exact model on my '96 Sport right before I sold it. Its quite heavy (relatively speaking) to be perfectly honest with you - but then again, anything is when compared to the cheap tube bumper Polaris gives you. The front under armor it comes with is really nice when you're in the rocks. The only other makers of aftermarket front bumpers is Polaris itself with its GenIII Pure-Polaris parts front bumper - its the same one that came with the Scrambler "X" models and a company called UM performance products - who makes some other cool looking stuff for the Gen III framed sport models including radiator scoops, but whos bumper looks "cheap" compared to the other two.

REDMAN225
02-02-2004, 05:23 PM
cool...i just ordered the dg! can't wait!

REDMAN225
02-03-2004, 03:22 AM
what'd that grab bar set you back? now i gotta get that too! quit posting pics of your ride!! my wife is gonna kill me :-D

Wickedfinger
02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
... It was .. $58 + shipping (prm-mfg.com) ..... tell your wife its for the common good of man. Heres some more pics. I put the new nosepiece "400 LQ" decal along with the Polaris 45 years aniversary badge and the new concentric drive decal on the other day. Theres a good shot of the bumper in that pic as well and the one shot shows my "overzelious" powerwashing "removal" of part of one of the left side tank decals ... (I'm still pissed at myself for that one). I am eventually planning on a whole new set of fenders in either Blue or Metalic Black along with the very cool looking 2002 Scrambler X decal set, a new set of tires and rims, probably Maxxis Razrs or Front Pros in the front and a set of 22" DirtDevils or All Tracks in the rear on .190 rims (the cheap ass .125's the guy before me put on arn't going to last very long around my trails), a trail tech spedometer/computer, and maybe an upgrade to the brandnew 2004 style seat. Lets see what Uncle Sam gives me back first though.