PDA

View Full Version : Superb Old School Wood Craftsman Youtube Videos

bkm
02-20-2016, 09:33 AM
If anyone enjoys watching a modern craftsman using mostly antique tools and techniques, then check out this guy's youtube page. I caught myself watching this guy for hours and not only is he an excellent craftsman, his videos are top notch. But best of all no annoying commentary to ruin a good video. He doesn't speak, he just lets his skills do all talking.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHkYrJ2Fbe7pBjEZvkFzi3A

El Camexican
02-20-2016, 11:04 AM
If anyone enjoys watching a modern craftsman using mostly antique tools and techniques, then check out this guy's youtube page. I caught myself watching this guy for hours and not only is he an excellent craftsman, his videos are top notch. But best of all no annoying commentary to ruin a good video. He doesn't speak, he just lets his skills do all talking.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHkYrJ2Fbe7pBjEZvkFzi3A

Do you work with wood? I started getting back into it about a year ago. Unfortunately it's not as forgiving a steel, but fortunately Home Depot sells wood filler by the liter.:)

I don't mind helpful narratives in a video, but I can't stand music. That's almost as annoying as fans banging on the glass in the corners;)

bkm
02-20-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm a horrible metal worker, and an even worse wood worker, but I absolutely love it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3 Wheel Drive
02-20-2016, 11:28 AM
You may like this guy he's handy like that:

https://youtu.be/iYJKd0rkKss

atc007
02-20-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm actually a very good wood worker lol..,,, thanx again El for getting us to this point ;)... Loved it in high school shop class. If I was a bit more whimsical I would literally have a full blown wood shop. Don't tempt me lol. My Mom loved birds more than I love 3 wheelers,,,,,,yep. She loved chicadees,,,,so to hear his music really tugged at the heart. All my thousands of hours in the woods and great memories ,and I did not realize until this morning ,,that is what a chickadee sounds like. Thanx Bryan.

Chopsaw
02-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I've been a union Carpenter for the last 27 years . I do heavy commercial , but have always loved woodworking . Been doin that since I was in grade school . I have a fully functional wood shop and make all sorts of stuff , relaxing for me .

The guy dont talk because he's out of breath from doing everything by hand , lol. ever see the " Woodwright shop " on PBS ? The guy pants so hard he can't narrate the show .

ironchop
02-20-2016, 11:51 AM
3wheeldrive I've seen that movie 8 or 9 times. Dick Proenneke (sp?) is a badass. He lived in that cabin until he was 82 yrs old then moved to Cali and died at 86. The cabin is still there in good shape as he donated it to the park service and they maintain it.

On oldschool woodworking, I'm also a fan of Roy Underhill from The Woodwrights Shop on PBS. I've been watching that for twenty years.

We are downsizing this year in order to buy a farm and I'm selling off a lot of my hobby stuff and ATVs and had wanted to start building furniture or woodcarving which I have experience in both. I have a feeling woodcarving it will be as modern electric woodworking equipment is a substantial investment and around here a bucksaw, plane, or treadle lathe are considered expensive display antiques.
A set of carving knives and chisels complete with sharpening tools is much more affordable

Bill, I'm a bird nut too. I keep feeders all over the yard. I got that from my grandpa. He also was a woodworker and carved birds (out of wood). My wife and kids buy me bird books sometimes so maybe I'll follow in his footsteps.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
02-20-2016, 01:08 PM
thanx again El for getting us to this point ;)

It's what I do. I'm even worse in person:) Now lets see some pictures of everybody's wood!:w00t:

Scootertrash
02-20-2016, 01:42 PM
That's not allowed since this is a family site El. :naughty: ;)