PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning the new 400EX/CR250R quad in DW

BIGKAHUNA
12-04-2002, 10:20 PM
If this bike actually makes it to the production stage and is what we all expect it to be (like a new TRX250R)........How do you think it will effect the market for the 86-89 TRX250Rs? I was hopin if the bike came back into production that it would drive the price of these down somewhat. Any hope of that? What yall think??????

OldSchoolin86
12-04-2002, 10:24 PM
No hope of it at all. Honda isn't making it, service Honda is.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-04-2002, 10:25 PM
...whats the difference?

BIGKAHUNA
12-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Whats the difference and does it matter? I mean if someone is producing and all new single piston 2-stroke that is meant to be a modern day 250R it will be one of the most popular bikes on the market. People can get so much for the 86-89 bikes cause they basically have you over a barrel. You cant get one new so you HAVE to find a used one. Every decent one I run across is going for a whole bunch of cash. Some are worth but many are not. We shall see.

Rod
12-05-2002, 12:30 AM
I don't think that it will make much difference at all. Service honda is pretty much a honda dealer. They also sell cr250's with cr500 motors. All the handleing & suspension of the 250 with open class power & I don't think that any one is making a 500 two stroke any more. All it will be is a 400ex with a cr250 motor installed, yeah they will have to add radiators for the liqued cooling but I bet that will be it. It will still be much cheaper to get a old 250r but it won't be all new. Just my two cents.

skippy
12-06-2002, 12:07 AM
and beside that... for 8k, you can build yourself a sweet custom 250r.. the way you want it.. but on the other no wrenching on a new bike would be nice.. more time for riding!

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Skippys right, just think of the quad you could build for 8K. 2K will get you a beat 250R and 6K sure would make it sweeeeeet! All the 250R's around here are beat! Honda in my opinion will NEVER develop new 2stroke anythings as 4strokes are environmentally friendly. It is unfortunate, I see 18 wheelers spewing black smoke 12hrs. a day and we ride a few hours a week. Their enforcing better Diesel engines also. At least I had my turn with many 2 strokes. They'll have to pry my weedwacker, leafblower, edger and chainsaw from my cold dead hands! LOL

350Xrider
12-07-2002, 01:49 AM
When they go to nothing but 4 strokes, I'll be damned if I am going to be lugging around a 90lb. weedeater or something. They need to lighten up. I mean by the time our little small polution quads damages the atmosphere to the point that we can't live here any more the world will already have been incenerated by the sun or something.

BIGKAHUNA
12-07-2002, 08:06 PM
I understand the point about being able to build a nice 250R for 8K. The thing is while many of us love riding quads not all like to wrench on em. There will be many who want the new bike and will opt for this. Hopefully it will lighten up the demand for the older bikes so poor ba$tards like me have a chance to get their hands on a decent used quad for a decent price. I personally dont mind wrenchin on a bike but I'll be damned if I want to pay 3 to 4K for one that needs or is gonna need some wrenchin. Am I being unreasonable?

Dirtcrasher
12-08-2002, 11:09 AM
No your correct. I myself take alot of pride in building, machining and whatever it takes to restore old pieces of junk. I must have a sickness because I think I enjoy knowing there all set mechanically as much as I do riding them. It is especially frustrating when I find things bent, stripped or just plain old abused and neglected. 250R's both quads and trikes are a fine example of that. Most of the ones I see are described as great condition, which to me means taken care of and well maintained. Yet for 3K there a piece o sh!t. What I really should have said is I think I could buy a beat one for under 2K and end up at about 5K doing all the work myself and pocket the other 3K.